Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight/Tony Bloom

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

By starting work on Falmer the minute the club could. I recall there was a long period from when we could start work, to when building started in earnest. The real work only started when Bloom pumped his money in. Whilst there was the DK earth breaking ceremony, no proper work was done for ages after this. You may recall seeing a single JCB moving mud around for months on end, whilst Knight and Perry issued vague and slightly cryptic messages in the press about funding. How soon the stadium would have been up and running I'm not sure....but it would have been quicker.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Ernest being a prize twat and wind-up merchant I am used to and am often even mildly amused but where did Arthur spring from?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sorry, but f*** right off.

DK wanting to keep us stringing out this whole Falmer thing for glory, despite the MILLIONS he's lost and is very unlikely to get back, and the sweat blood and tears he poured in to his club? Yes he got glory, yes he might have liked it but i doubt that if DK was this kind of man, he'd lose as much money to be a local celeb in a league one football team.

DK hasn't/hadn't put any cash in for years, possibly since he initially took over. He doesn't actually have much cash and hasn't really earnt anything since the 90s. Above came from a couple of players

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
It was suggested by many on here that a man with money was standing back and letting DK do the hard work and that when the time came he would come forward with his money. People kept saying name him to attempt to ridicule the suggestion but nobody came up with the name of Tony Bloom although many others were mentioned like David Gold as an example. This has proved to be right

I think quite a few people knew that Tony Bloom was paying the players wages for a long time. He didn't come forward because (a) he didn't need to at the time, and (b) he doesn't court publicity (thank God). It has been an ideal partnership - DK doing all the relationship stuff and achieving the impossible by getting planning permission, whilst TB was in the background helping the club out financially. TB only stepped in when the credit crunch meant that Plan A wouldn't work.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Dick Knight has not ploughed millions into The Albion by the way folks.
Dick Knight was instrumental in bringing the Albion back to Brighton and do you know how he did it ? He negotiated a deal between Brigton and Hove council and Ecovert - who snapped his hand off for the 3-400k k a year - The rest is history and you can debate that for ever more but please........ not the millions invested in the club story again.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Dick Knight has not ploughed millions into The Albion by the way folks.
Dick Knight was instrumental in bringing the Albion back to Brighton and do you know how he did it ? He negotiated a deal between Brigton and Hove council and Ecovert - who snapped his hand off for the 3-400k k a year - The rest is history and you can debate that for ever more but please........ not the millions invested in the club story again.

Exactly , the SIMPLE fact is that Dick Tight NEVER had millions to PUMP into the club.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
This will always be a split decision:lolol:

I was never a big fan of knight and like many im delighted we have bloom on board,knight done well for a bit but at the end he done what anyone would of done with zero finances"PLOD ON".He was reliant on the blooms money for years,i don't believe we would've folded if knight hadn't taken over like many seem to think.
If knight was still in charge now we obviously would'nt have falmer so that speaks for itself,i always got the impression that martin perry was the man behind falmer at the time and not knight???

Knight was old fashioned and loved the attention he got:shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This will always be a split decision:lolol:

I was never a big fan of knight and like many im delighted we have bloom on board,knight done well for a bit but at the end he done what anyone would of done with zero finances"PLOD ON".He was reliant on the blooms money for years,i don't believe we would've folded if knight hadn't taken over like many seem to think.
If knight was still in charge now we obviously would'nt have falmer so that speaks for itself,i always got the impression that martin perry was the man behind falmer at the time and not knight???

Knight was old fashioned and loved the attention he got:shrug:

The way I see it is that Knight got the planning permission, Bloom is getting it built. Both have played significant parts in our recent history. But, I share the belief that Knight hung around a wee bit too long.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The way I see it is that Knight got the planning permission, Bloom is getting it built. Both have played significant parts in our recent history. But, I share the belief that Knight hung around a wee bit too long.
I don't want to slate knight as he did his bit for the club,but i feel the fans where awsome and saved the club more than knight did.
40 note funds and marche's and much much more,not to mention paying silly prices to sit in a shitehole:thumbsup:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I have no idea about their relationship. However I was in the Director's Box yesterday and I can tell you that Dick (who had taken his grand kids) was very warmly greeted by the Carlisle directors and he spent a lot of time chatting in a very relaxed and happy manner. As an ambassador for the club we couldn't ask for better.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
So it's not Knight's fault but Perry's? Why hasn't Bloom sacked Perry since then?

How can you sack a project manager (because that is all he is) 12 years in to a project?? He won't be there after the stadium is finished!

its common rumour that Bloom wanted to take over, but he didnt did he? why was that? if you have the answers why Bloom didnt buy out and force out Knight, pray tell.

As I've already said, Knight didn't want to sell. He was still living in his dream world that the money fairies would turn up £20m then £40m then £60m and then it got a bit much hence the rope Bloom was feeding him so he had to back down.

Spot on. In the last year or so under DK, we had him meddling with transfers to the point that we lost our then captain, he sacked a manager who got us to 7th with no money and a team of local youngsters (but not after starting a whispering campaign against him with a clique of fans) and as more and more doors closed on the funding of Falmer his on-pitch appearances telling us everything was hunky dory became more frequent. The most cringe-worthy was the one where he wanted kiddies to draw what the stadium would look like and he would put them up in the boardroom.

I'm not denying that he saved the club - he did and I am eternally grateful but, and it is a big but, he was chairman for about 3 or 4 seasons too long and the club was definitely run like a village fete committee under him.

Knight wanted to be chairman, director of football, chief tea maker and kitman! It was embarrassing by the end of his reign!

A player who I won't name for obvious reasons was desperate to stay at this football club, the manager wanted to keep him but he was told by Knight to ditch him. Chairmen should leave the playing side to the people that know what they are doing.

(a) Why was it in Perry's interest to string it out?

Christ on a bike, if you need me to point it then you really need to wake up and smell the roses!

Hmmmm topping up his pension in the twilight of career in a job that will end as soon as the stadium is built! Just a thought like!

(b) "Bloom wouldn't have stood for nonsense from the Council or the antis?" What did Brighton Council do that was nonsense? Or are you seriously suggesting he would have waved a magic wand and made Lewes Council, De Vecchi, Cuttress and Baker disappear?

How many other clubs have applied for permission, secured funding and built their new grounds in the time we've been trying?

Bloom himself has been extremely complimentary towards Knight. He didn't have to be, he could have said nowt or just recited some mealy mouthed lines half heartedly. But he didn't/hasn't.

Righto, so he should have come out and slagged the bloke off in public then??

This is of course correct, calm and even-handed, as have been so many posts on this thread. But then along come Ernest and Arthur and one or two others with their peculiar brands of bile-filled nastiness and astonishing ignorance and the world on this lovely Sunday slips slowly back towards darkness.

I'm all up for debate but if you're going to bring it down to name calling then I'm not interested. Show me where I've shown "bile-filled nastiness and astonishing ignorance"?

Sorry, but f*** right off.

DK wanting to keep us stringing out this whole Falmer thing for glory, despite the MILLIONS he's lost and is very unlikely to get back, and the sweat blood and tears he poured in to his club? Yes he got glory, yes he might have liked it but i doubt that if DK was this kind of man, he'd lose as much money to be a local celeb in a league one football team.

Don't swear at me you jumped up little ****, especially when you know nothing about the subject matter which several others have picked you up on!

Ernest being a prize twat and wind-up merchant I am used to and am often even mildly amused but where did Arthur spring from?

I've been trying to educate you bobble hatters for yonks. Sadly allot of you aren't prepared to take on board the sense that I am talking.

Ernest is on a wind-up.

Arthur, on the other hand, doesn't deserve to be a fan of this great club.

Firstly why is that buddy?

Secondly who died and made you Elvis?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hmmmm topping up his pension in the twilight of career in a job that will end as soon as the stadium is built! Just a thought like!

Perry is listed as the Chief Executive. This position will still exist beyond the completion of Falmer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How can you sack a project manager (because that is all he is) 12 years in to a project?? He won't be there after the stadium is finished!
There's plenty of project managers out there (think of all the schemes that have been abandoned due to lack of funds) and, as you said yourself, Bloom is ruthless, so if Perry had really been messing up the planning permission just to top his pension up, then he would be history.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Do these two not get on?

Good to see Dick Knight making the trip up to Carlisle yesterday. Apparently the Bloom's were unable to make it for personal reasons. Perhaps it's just co-incidence, however it makes me wonder - I don't recall every hearing much about their relationship, other than that they disagreed on McGhee. Do they even like each other?

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Why possibly wouldn't the Blooms be there ? Possibly the same reason Avram Grant took the day off.

Brilliant - puts everything you posted in the past and will post in the future in context.

You utter plank :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here