Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight/Tony Bloom

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you like.

Money talks and money is power. DK had none so he employed buffoons such as Perry who's interest it was to string the who debacle out for as long as possible. Bloom wouldn't have stood for it, now would he have stood for the nonsense from the council or the antis. As US pointed out Bloom is ruthless.

So it's not Knight's fault but Perry's? Why hasn't Bloom sacked Perry since then?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Bloom was trying to take over the football club probably 4 or 5 years ago. Thought that was common knowledge?
Lets be honest, it doesn't take 14 years to build a football ground regardless of stumbling blocks such as planning issues.

its common rumour that Bloom wanted to take over, but he didnt did he? why was that? if you have the answers why Bloom didnt buy out and force out Knight, pray tell. seems to me Bloom played his card well and only showed his hand when he knew he and BHAFC would do best.

lets be factual about it, it did take 14 years to get to Falmer. if you want to play "what ifs", and suggest it was protracted under Knight, it might have been the case we never got permission at all under another chairman (Knight the PR man got the key stakeholders onboard). taking over 4-5 years earlier, Bloom might not have ended up with the £90m+ need for this stadium, or even half that as originally anticipated.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've already said on this thread Knight did a hell of lot for this club and for that I'm thankful. No one can deny that he held the club back over the last few years of his reign though.

Spot on. In the last year or so under DK, we had him meddling with transfers to the point that we lost our then captain, he sacked a manager who got us to 7th with no money and a team of local youngsters (but not after starting a whispering campaign against him with a clique of fans) and as more and more doors closed on the funding of Falmer his on-pitch appearances telling us everything was hunky dory became more frequent. The most cringe-worthy was the one where he wanted kiddies to draw what the stadium would look like and he would put them up in the boardroom.

I'm not denying that he saved the club - he did and I am eternally grateful but, and it is a big but, he was chairman for about 3 or 4 seasons too long and the club was definitely run like a village fete committee under him.

I don't know if DK and TB get along but ask yourself this question - if TB's mega-bucks was ALWAYS the plan B as we have been told time and again then why is DK not chairman now?

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
If you like.

Money talks and money is power. DK had none so he employed buffoons such as Perry who's interest it was to string the who debacle out for as long as possible. Bloom wouldn't have stood for it, now would he have stood for the nonsense from the council or the antis. As US pointed out Bloom is ruthless.

I'm sorry but this just isn't right.

(a) Why was it in Perry's interest to string it out?

(b) "Bloom wouldn't have stood for nonsense from the Council or the antis?" What did Brighton Council do that was nonsense? Or are you seriously suggesting he would have waved a magic wand and made Lewes Council, De Vecchi, Cuttress and Baker disappear?

Bloom himself has been extremely complimentary towards Knight. He didn't have to be, he could have said nowt or just recited some mealy mouthed lines half heartedly. But he didn't/hasn't.

Ruthless or not some parts of the system you just can't buck, no matter how much cash you have. Ask Al Fayed or Sir James Goldsmith.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was suggested by many on here that a man with money was standing back and letting DK do the hard work and that when the time came he would come forward with his money. People kept saying name him to attempt to ridicule the suggestion but nobody came up with the name of Tony Bloom although many others were mentioned like David Gold as an example. This has proved to be right

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
It was suggested by many on here that a man with money was standing back and letting DK do the hard work and that when the time came he would come forward with his money. People kept saying name him to attempt to ridicule the suggestion but nobody came up with the name of Tony Bloom although many others were mentioned like David Gold as an example. This has proved to be right

I would have thought the same - but more with a view to ensuring the permissions were granted. Why rock the boat just when we were on the verge of getting the final approvals to the planning permission. We all knew how LDC/FPC were playing this so why give them any new ammunition to attack us with.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I'm sorry but this just isn't right.

(a) Why was it in Perry's interest to string it out?

(b) "Bloom wouldn't have stood for nonsense from the Council or the antis?" What did Brighton Council do that was nonsense? Or are you seriously suggesting he would have waved a magic wand and made Lewes Council, De Vecchi, Cuttress and Baker disappear?

Bloom himself has been extremely complimentary towards Knight. He didn't have to be, he could have said nowt or just recited some mealy mouthed lines half heartedly. But he didn't/hasn't.

Ruthless or not some parts of the system you just can't buck, no matter how much cash you have. Ask Al Fayed or Sir James Goldsmith.

This is of course correct, calm and even-handed, as have been so many posts on this thread. But then along come Ernest and Arthur and one or two others with their peculiar brands of bile-filled nastiness and astonishing ignorance and the world on this lovely Sunday slips slowly back towards darkness.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Is that the same Mike Bamber who considered ground sharing with Crystal Palace at Gatwick? And who left the club with huge debts?

Who had the club in more debt ? Bamber or Tight ?
Who took the club into the top flight of English football ? Bamber or Tight ?
Who took the club to the FA Cup final when it was the most prestiguous competition in football ? Tight or Bamber ?

Dick Tight is NOT even in the top 10 of Brighton Chairmen , he wasn't EVEN a true fan and LIED about that.

Tight is/was an Arsenal fan

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Who had the club in more debt ? Bamber or Tight ?
Who took the club into the top flight of English football ? Bamber or Tight ?
Who took the club to the FA Cup final when it was the most prestiguous competition in football ? Tight or Bamber ?

Dick Tight is NOT even in the top 10 of Brighton Chairmen , he wasn't EVEN a true fan and LIED about that.

Tight is/was an Arsenal fan

Strange to risk your family's financial health on a club you don't support, wouldn't you say?:facepalm:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
If you like.

Bloom wanted to be in charge for years but Knight wouldn't sell. Bloom knew what he was doing though and simply played the waiting game giving Knight enough rope to hang himself, which he did in the end. Credit to Knight though he bowed out with the perception amongst some fans such as US that he was the best thing to ever happen to the football club.

Sorry, but f*** right off.

DK wanting to keep us stringing out this whole Falmer thing for glory, despite the MILLIONS he's lost and is very unlikely to get back, and the sweat blood and tears he poured in to his club? Yes he got glory, yes he might have liked it but i doubt that if DK was this kind of man, he'd lose as much money to be a local celeb in a league one football team.

Last edited:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Spot on. In the last year or so under DK, we had him meddling with transfers to the point that we lost our then captain, he sacked a manager who got us to 7th with no money and a team of local youngsters (but not after starting a whispering campaign against him with a clique of fans) and as more and more doors closed on the funding of Falmer his on-pitch appearances telling us everything was hunky dory became more frequent. The most cringe-worthy was the one where he wanted kiddies to draw what the stadium would look like and he would put them up in the boardroom.

I'm not denying that he saved the club - he did and I am eternally grateful but, and it is a big but, he was chairman for about 3 or 4 seasons too long and the club was definitely run like a village fete committee under him.

I don't know if DK and TB get along but ask yourself this question - if TB's mega-bucks was ALWAYS the plan B as we have been told time and again then why is DK not chairman now?

I think Bloom wanted DK to be chairman until he couldn't do it for finacial ruin because Bloom would have been happier to underwrite things. Knight couldn't do it any more, Bloom stepped up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry, but f*** right off.

despite the MILLIONS he's lost and is very unlikely to get back,

Did he not get his money repaid or have I mis read this. I didnt think that he had millions to lose as he was only worth about £2m when he took over.

Whether he did or didnt, doesnt take away the fact of the amount of work he put into getting Falmer.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Did he not get his money repaid or have I mis read this. I didnt think that he had millions to lose as he was only worth about £2m when he took over.

Whether he did or didnt, doesnt take away the fact of the amount of work he put into getting Falmer.

Spot on, I get really bored with the twatish comments about Dick Knight, oh Ernest, whilst I'm not keen to let you continue with your now very tired 'joke' in fact is was Bamber who got this club into the financial mess it got into. Maybe indirectly but our slide down the league started with our relegation from the first division because like so many clubs since we had players on contracts we couldn't afford. Does that mean Bamber was wrong ? No of course not it was those scum triumvirate Archer, Belotti and Stanley who who talked a lot and then robed us.

When Archer dies I have a strong desire to visit his grave to defalcate on it.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

The club was running with an 8 million pound debt at one point I thought, some of which was paid by the board, some of which was made up by sales of players (?) and the rest was as part of the Alive and Kicking fund... This is a tad before my time, so i could be wrong on the finer points, but saying Knight was in charge for too long for an ego boost, or that he stifled falmer or all that stuff is just plain out of order. We owe the man our f***ing club.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Spot on, I get really bored with the twatish comments about Dick Knight, oh Ernest, whilst I'm not keen to let you continue with your now very tired 'joke' in fact is was Bamber who got this club into the financial mess it got into. Maybe indirectly but our slide down the league started with our relegation from the first division because like so many clubs since we had players on contracts we couldn't afford. Does that mean Bamber was wrong ? No of course not it was those scum triumvirate Archer, Belotti and Stanley who who talked a lot and then robed us.

When Archer dies I have a strong desire to visit his grave to defalcate on it.

Just a strong desire? There WILL be a queue.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
TB and Knight don't get on.

Knight did loads for this football club but he was in it for the personal glory which meant he held on to the reigns for probably 3 seasons too many.

If Knight had bowed out when he should have we'd be playing in Falmer by now.

Yes, of course we would. And we'd be playing Champions League football too. Obviously.

:wozza:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here