Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight stadium tribute

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Howabout naming a toilet after Mrs Cuttrarse

And pictures of Archer and Bellotti on the porcelain

Yes! Plus all those whingy fuckers who kept up with their "It'll never get built" f***ing posts on the Arsegas website. Where are they now? f*** em, f*** the lot of em!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im really quite surprised any sensible fan can not support a Knight Stand, other grounds have named stands for far less. we wouldnt be here, there wouldn't be a BHAFC if it wasn't for Knight.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
im really quite surprised any sensible fan can not support a Knight Stand, other grounds have named stands for far less. we wouldnt be here, there wouldn't be a BHAFC if it wasn't for Knight.

What he said. Every evening I remember the great man's achievements by saying to the wife "is it dick night"?

Nine times out of ten I get told to go forth! :laugh:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Here's my two pennies worth.

Main Stand = Charlie Webb - player and manager for 47 years I believe,probably longer than anyone ever associated with the club and also scorer of the winning goal in the 1910 Charity Shield which then was a far more prestigious game than it is now.
West Stand = Peter Ward Stand for obvious reasons, probably the most naturally gifted striker we have ever had.
North Stand = Bamber Stand. Tribute to the man who took the club through it's most successful period, albeit at some long lasting financial cost. But for those of us there, it was the greatest of times.
South Stand = Mullery Stand. For being the most charismatic manager we have had for the last 35 years (just excludes Cloughie) and for the 5 great years from the third div to the top.

As for DK, his role should not be forgotten (and maybe that of the rest of the consortium) but I think there should be a 'Dick Knight Presidentially Hospitality Suite. Equally, there should be the Tony Bloom Chairman's Hospitality suite.

As for Robert Eaton, there should be a memorial wall or walkway, not just to remember those fans that died since we left the Goldstone but all fans that have passed away.

I think statues etc for living people would do nothing more than feed any vanity so should be avoided.

Unfortunately, to many people are only concerned with the recent history of the club whereas we should never forget we are about 109 years old.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'm up for honouring DK but we need to be careful we don't become a laughing stock in the context we use the Dick part of his name.
Gay jibes are bad enough without us inviting more mockery.

I like the idea of the DK supporters bar perhaps with a picture of him up somewhere

I think there has to be some reference to the Goldstone somehow as well

f*** me, the penny has almost dropped!

Everyone and everything is for sale at the right price.
A simple question for you, Arthur ...

Name ONE individual - councillor, planning officer, public official or landowner - involved in the process of getting the Albion's stadium built who could be bought (at any price).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Name ONE individual - councillor, planning officer, public official or landowner - involved in the process of getting the Albion's stadium built who could be bought (at any price).

To answer that, I believe would probably render Arthur suibject to the laws of libel and possibly NSC.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
To answer that, I believe would probably render Arthur suibject to the laws of libel and possibly NSC.

Not necessarily, if Arthur knew that a councillor took bribes and had proof of it, that would be a defence against any libel action.

A statement would only be defamatory if it was mere speculation - which I think is the point Lord B is getting at. In other words, Arthur supposes that various officials can be bribed but he has absolutely no justification for making such a comment.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
At the end of the day, it does not matter what the Argus or what we want or think they should be called. Money will talk and name the stands, as for who is worthy of a named stand or gate.There are so many to thank alive and dead. Knight is as much a hero as Bamber was for the older generation and even older still people like Charlie Webb and Tommy cook.We can not be judge and jury over who is better than who, everyone has a favorite for many reasons.

Lets not forget Knight was not the main driving force behind keeping us alive............... It was us !

The only realistic thing we could probably have is a wall with the names or pictures of our many past heros. And a must in my opinion a wall with the names of the fallen.

Last edited:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The Arsegas asked the question about Dick Knight but it's impossible (and wrong) to pick out an individual from just modern day albion history - however traumatic it's been.

Like some other posters I think you have to look at the key and pivotal figures in the club's history - so wherever they are 'honoured' I'd go with: Webb, Bamber, Knight and Bloom (Harry and Tony) and then pick out some key players on the pitch.

I also really like the Robert Eaton Memorial idea - completely in keeping with our time and a very powerful image and tribute to ordinary supporters (Fans United if you like with a figurehead). I think this really needs to be championed by NSC.

Not necessarily, if Arthur knew that a councillor took bribes and had proof of it, that would be a defence against any libel action.

A statement would only be defamatory if it was mere speculation - which I think is the point Lord B is getting at. In other words, Arthur supposes that various officials can be bribed but he has absolutely no justification for making such a comment.
I have no idea what Arthur supposes. All I know - from years of working in local government - is that Arthur's original suggestion that money could have bought planning consent for an Albion stadium years earlier simply doesn't tally with the planning system that I worked in. Corruption is invariably followed by whistle-blowing by someone. And imprisonment is the consequence.

It simply doesn't happen. To blame Dick Knight for not being rich enough to bribe his way to a new stadium is outrageous and ignorant.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Every single person/organisation involved.

As (it would appear) the other sensible person on this thread pointed out, Arsenal bought everyone and everything in sight at got a ground built in next to no time.

For example they gave bent Ken £2.5m to redevelop Holloway Road tube which he subsequently pocketed (well it wasn't spent on HR tube that is for sure). They had massive opposition from the majority of businesses on Ashburton Grove, did they sit their and take it? No! Obviously they had someone in power at Islington council on side to hurry things along.

You lot don't live in the real world, money makes it turn on it's axis. Just goes to show that this club will never do anything as the fans it has are little more than village idiots who think it's normal to get bossed about by Maude and Mable from the village WI.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
MOds - I would delete this thread quickly if I were you. Arthur's post implying that everyone on B&H and Lewes councils is corruptible could be construed as a defamatory statement. I wouldn't take the chance.

I'm not blaming Dick Knight for not having enough money, I just pointing out he did nothing to attract the investment required.
Throughout the whole saga, he kept faith with the Bloom family. When the planning process was finally settled, this paid off. The club got the stadium and the Blooms got control of the club back in the family's hands.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Every single person/organisation involved.

As (it would appear) the other sensible person on this thread pointed out, Arsenal bought everyone and everything in sight at got a ground built in next to no time.

For example they gave bent Ken £2.5m to redevelop Holloway Road tube which he subsequently pocketed (well it wasn't spent on HR tube that is for sure). They had massive opposition from the majority of businesses on Ashburton Grove, did they sit their and take it? No! Obviously they had someone in power at Islington council on side to hurry things along.

You lot don't live in the real world, money makes it turn on it's axis. Just goes to show that this club will never do anything as the fans it has are little more than village idiots who think it's normal to get bossed about by Maude and Mable from the village WI.
I doubt that's true. I always imagined that "legal bribes" certainly do occur, along the lines of "we'll pay to have this piece of public infrastructure redeveloped if you let us build the stadium", which will more than offset the objections of the Maude and Mable types you refer to; but nevertheless there are still still strict procedures and processes that must be adhered to.

I'm not blaming Dick Knight for not having enough money, I just pointing out he did nothing to attract the investment required.
This, I do agree with.

In all honesty, I just feel that Knight was a good man who started out with honourable intentions and he did his best to carry them out for the good of the club. However, he was in charge for far too long (given the lack of progress in that time) - probably encouraged by vast swathes of our support who treated him as some sort of demi-god in that time.

But overall I do think he should and will be remembered fondly in the future, if not the "legend" that some people would have us believe.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
This, I do agree with.

Do you know that he did nothing to attract investment?

I have no idea one way or the other, but I am amazed at some of the definitive statements on here that, if taken at face value, imply that the isuuers of those statements were party to what was going on in the boardroom.

How many posters on NSC knew what was going on in the boardroom? Or are their comments based on NSC speculation and a strange desire to be able to criticise?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here