Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight stadium tribute

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it not a chicken and egg situation in that which do you do first reach agreement with Archer and then approach the council or come to some agreement with the clouncil of a way forward and then fail to agree with Archer.

Irrespective of this we have moved on and can look forward to Falmer for whch DK and his team deserve credit.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Is it not a chicken and egg situation in that which do you do first reach agreement with Archer and then approach the council or come to some agreement with the clouncil of a way forward and then fail to agree with Archer.

Irrespective of this we have moved on and can look forward to Falmer for whch DK and his team deserve credit.

well it strikes little old naive me that if the people who wanted to buy the football club couldn't cope with workstreams proceeding at different paces that perhaps they wouldn't have been the most successful. In which case the earlier statements that the consortium led by Dick Knight saved the football club are currently unchallenged by any reasonable counter argument

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As things turned out, we didn't need outside investment.

My guess is that this was understood in the boardroom much earlier than anyone outside will ever know.

you think? it amazes me that others cant put this together. If Knight is guilty of not bringing in more outside cash for 10 years, we only have to assume it was with good reason. people want somthing in return, often control, and he knew that could lead to conflicts. imagine how much more difficult things might have been if we have a major shareholder calling for Waterhall or Lower Bedeing development? we needed a single minded leadership.

and Knight delivered us to promised land of Falmer. there can be no ifs and buts thats where we are. money might not have made a shred of difference. considering all the little special interest groups that took pot shots at us, i really dont see who we could have "brought off" to speed the process along.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Forget about naming a stand after him, there surely has to be a bronze statue outside the main gates?

Without getting into a petty squabble about his mistakes or his lack of the big bucks the bottom line is he WAS the man in our hour of need and a statue would be a visual reminder of him and this key part of our history.

you think? it amazes me that others cant put this together. If Knight is guilty of not bringing in more outside cash for 10 years, we only have to assume it was with good reason. people want somthing in return, often control, and he knew that could lead to conflicts. imagine how much more difficult things might have been if we have a major shareholder calling for Waterhall or Lower Bedeing development? we needed a single minded leadership.

and Knight delivered us to promised land of Falmer. there can be no ifs and buts thats where we are. money might not have made a shred of difference. considering all the little special interest groups that took pot shots at us, i really dont see who we could have "brought off" to speed the process along.

Dick Knight and Martin Perry certainly understood the importance of keeping faith with the Falmer project - however long it took. Martin Perry understood the planning process. Dick Knight had the skills necessary to ride the incredibly difficult political storms that beset the whole project throughout.

I personally doubt that any big investor coming in half way through the process would have had the patience to persist. The smart mover in all of this was probably Ray Bloom - who kept totally silent for ten years, eventually delivering his nephew to play the final card in the game.

I think it is highly likely that another big player would have walked away before the end - in exactly the same way that Micky Adams and Peter Taylor did.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Knight needs to to be honoured along with everyone else in the consortium but it is ludicrous to jump to the conclusion that without him there would have been no consortium and that no-one else would have stepped in to save the club. Off the top of my head I can't think of any league club that has closed down. The closest was probably maidstone but I am sure they were non-league when they ceased to exist.

Knight needs to to be honoured along with everyone else in the consortium but it is ludicrous to jump to the conclusion that without him there would have been no consortium and that no-one else would have stepped in to save the club. Off the top of my head I can't think of any league club that has closed down. The closest was probably maidstone but I am sure they were non-league when they ceased to exist.
well as no one else DID step in to save the club, its hardly a LUDICROUS conclusion that the Knight option was the only one on the table.

Care to enlighten us as to exactly how many other consortia were waiting in the wiongs to take over when dick was negotiating.

Errrrrrr , don't hold your breath!

aldershot closed down when a league club (and were reformed)

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
As things turned out, we didn't need outside investment.

My guess is that this was understood in the boardroom much earlier than anyone outside will ever know.

You guess that now, but you never guessed that then.

Nor did anyone else for that matter LB.

Last edited:

I am sure I read on here at some time that DK had the money he invested repaid. I may be wrong but am fairly certain of it.

This is not intended as a critiscm of DK but I do feel that to name a stand after him is a bit OTT. Remember him in some tangible way but not to name a stand after him. I think that it would be appropriate to name the road leadiing to the stadium after him Dick Knight Way or similar.

League rules require that when a director of the club leaves the board of directots, his original investment is repaid in full.

Thats why Archer had to be paid off when he left :US:

That is not true there is nothing and has been nothing to suggest that had DKs consortium, not just DK, not bought the club it would have folded. As has been said many times a number of people were interested but not prepared to meet the conditions that Archer was imposing. This does not take away from what he and his team have achieved but to say No DK no BHA to support is not true.[/QUOT

Sorry but that is ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS

Knight's consortium was the ONLY one prepared to play the long game, and wrestle constrol of the club away from Archer.

Foster/Purdew was nerver a serious contender (questions over the money, committment etc)

And I don't recall "a number of people" being "interested".

At the end of the day there was Knight or there was closure of BHAFC

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This is going over old ground but I know of 3 different individual/consortia who were interested but didnt carry on because of the conditions that Archer wished to impose. Had DK not persued the purchase Archer would have had to renegotiate but having found somebody prepared to accept his conditions why should he reduce his demands. He didnt need to. It was most definitely not a case of DK or BHA folding.

As I have said this is now old hat so lets move on to Falmer.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Anyway back to the topic in hand I quite like the idea of the walkway to the stadium being named after him.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Anyway back to the topic in hand I quite like the idea of the walkway to the stadium being named after him.

Works for me.

For some reason I have this feeling that naming every stand or whatever is just a bit cheesy. How do you decide who is most worthy?

The stands will start off being known by their compass points, ie North, West etc, and then the commercial stuff will kick in and they'll become the Mrs Miggins Organic Pork Pies West Stand etc, at least on the tickets.

Plus one will inevitably be designated a family area, so you'll have a Legal & General Family Stand (for example).

Leicester pay tribute to their club heroes by way of a mural around the place. Other clubs have museums & the like. I'm not one of those deniers of Dick Knight's role for a second, I'm just not a fan of naming things after people unless they are uncontested, 100% legends.

(The statue of Mullery giving the bird to Palace fans is a GENIUS idea, by the way).

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
Behind the goal (singing stand) The Knight End

Robert Eaton Stand

West Stand (away )

East Stand

Shouldn't name every stand , we should just keep it simple .

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I agree about a statue of Dick (before he's dead anyroad) being a bit overwhelming, but the only thing I've ever really thought about it is (and I've said this before) is to have him posing Lenin-like with a copy of the Planning Approval in one hand, and giving two fingers towards the direction of Lewes with the other.

Other than that 'Knight Way' or 'The Way of the Knight' (soz) does for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here