Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight is on his way out

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Wise words. (From someone who has made twice as many posts as anyone else on this thread)

Code:
Who Posted?

Total Posts: 137

User Name 	Posts
The Large One 	10
Lord Bracknell 	5
drew 	5
Bevendean Hillbilly 	5
Notters 	5
Icy Gull 	5
les dynam 	5
Lokki 7 	4
sir danny cullip 	4
Storer68 	4
granny weatherwax 	4
Pavilionaire 	3
Giraffe 	3
Psychobilly freakout 	3
sir albion 	2
phil1977 	2
Don Tmatter 	2
Barrel of Fun 	2
Mendoza 	2
Easy 10 	2
seagullsovergrimsby 	2
Buzzer 	2
Titanic 	2
Common as Mook 	2
Acker79 	2
Simster 	2
adrian29uk 	1
Sweeney Todd 	1
Superphil 	1
blue'n'white 	1
wehatepalace 	1
croydon seagull 	1
sparkie 	1
Walt Jabsco 	1
samhale86 	1
Kalimantan Gull 	1
Twinkle Toes 	1
southwickseagull 	1
TRHK 	1
Ninja Elephant 	1
BUTTERBALL 	1
ewe2 	1
1swedegull 	1
Herr Tubthumper 	1
Simon Morgan 	1
The Peanut Roaster 	1
y2dave 	1
TWOCHOICEStom 	1
Knotty 	1
Stoo82 	1
Man of Harveys 	1
El Presidente 	1
pork pie 	1
Jim D 	1
SICKASAGULL 	1
DIFFBROOK 	1
The Uninvited Guest 	1
king Wombat 	1
Bombadier Botty 	1
bhaexpress 	1
Dirty Dave 	1
Tony Meolas Loan Spell 	1
beorhthelm 	1
Alex, Alex Dawson oo! oo! 	1
RexCathedra 	1
AlbaAlbion 	1
Keeping The Dream Alive. 	1
Gritt23 	1
Waiting For The 7:18 	1
Tory Boy 	1
portslade seagull 	1
Pondicherry 	1
Brovion 	1
Silent Bob 	1
Ka-POW!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Is the Knightmare over? we should be be told without delay so that the new man/men are able to make the necessary arrangements to make the new season start the way we have wanted for at least the last three years, a light at the end of a long and gloomy tunnel,lets hope so

Absolutely, three promotions, back to back league wins, Zamora, Cullip, Morgan, Coppell, Adams, Taylor, victories against West Ham, Palace, Leeds, Forest, City, survival in the Championship against the odds, I hated every moment of that long and gloomy tunnel.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Absolutely, three promotions, back to back league wins, Zamora, Cullip, Morgan, Coppell, Adams, Taylor, victories against West Ham, Palace, Leeds, Forest, City, survival in the Championship against the odds, I hated every moment of that long and gloomy tunnel.

Hell yeah!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Every dog has his day and the last 12 years have had some great ones and some bad ones. However, it seems there are some on here who would make DK life long chairman irrespective of any decisions/errors he makes.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Dick has clearly blotted his copy book more than once during his time but he is surely in credit over the last 12 years? Granted, the first half of this season looks to have been a fairly big error when viewed through the retrospectroscope but even then he managed to help get things put right.

The debt we owe him for helping oust Archer and get the diggers in at Falmer is enormous. If he has decided that he has done all that he can then I wish him all the best but I would hope to see him stay on in some sort of role at the club and be given some sort of red carpet treatment on the opening day at Falmer.

Cheers Dick.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
According to a v reliable source.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

I heard the same 3 days ago and that the Blooms have had enough of the meddling - How much money must he have cost the Blooms in paying Dean Ian and Micky off??

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I heard the same 3 days ago and that the Blooms have had enough of the meddling - How much money must he have cost the Blooms in paying Dean Ian and Micky off??

Look Mrs Wilkins, this whole thread (and others abound) point to the fact that DK is only running the show for TB..

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Not only that,how much did it cost us to pay off Turienzo & Molango? Poor old McGhee didn't want either of them but got saddled with them on 2 year deals.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Can I ask for some clarification did Bil Archer want the club to collapse, while No one else was on the horizon besides Dick Knight? It seems that is some people's vision of history.

Bill Archer - did he really want the club to collapse? Or has it just been painted that way because he held out for as much money as he could even though the club could have gone to the wall? Was he more interested in getting as much money as he could?

Dick Knight - Was he alone in rescuing the club? Percentage-wise, how much of the consortium was he? Was he just a figure had and nominal financial contributor? What sort of % is he contributing now?

Other potential buyers - I hear that some other groups were interested in buying the club, but Archer refused to let them see the books. DK and his consortium was the only one willing to do a deal without seeing the books. Some people seem to act as if this means if DK didn't buy the club it would cease to exist.

Archer is a business man, surely if none of the potential buyers were willing to buy without seeing the books, he would have caved so that he could make some money instead of letting the club collapse and getting nothing? Especially as the fans were also making his life hell and it would only get worse. Essentially there was a game of bluff, and Knight blinked first, no?

I know "Evil Bill Archer tried to destroy the club until the heroic Dick Knight stood up, alone, to save the club with his bare hands" is a great romantic story, but just how accurate is it?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
490374922_76507dc086.jpg
images
Out of interest, where is that photo taken? I'm in it, as is my brother (he's the one wearing my Archer Out shirt), Superphil and Row Z Creased Shirt, but I can't place where it is. Is it Reading??

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
perhaps its time for a change at the top? he made terrible mistakes with the wilkins and adams decisions this season. didn't handle the gannon approach very well and got a bit lucky with slade.

I'm amused by the notion that when Knight gets it wrong, it's a "terrible mistake", and when something goes right, it's "lucky".

Can you be both incompetent and lucky? Or perhaps the Slade appointment was a stroke of business genius and the Adams scenario a terribly unfortunate turn of fate. Or maybe our chairman's just like any other businessman. Some decisions you make don't work out, others do.

Show me a company director who's never put a foot wrong and I'll show you a shiny gold unicorn, sitting on a rainbow, plucking a harp strung with leprechaun hair.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
he deserves massive respect for the job he's done from day 1, but he's not getting that from many fans

I don't think thats close to being correct, the second part that, is, not the first

Two things about rumours

1. They tend to be based on truth
2. They usually end up heavily exaggerated

At the end of the day, both DK and Tony Bloom are big Albion fans. Of course they have disagreements about the playing side, just as if you plucked two people at random from this board. I'm not really worried about the future whatever happens with those guys, they've both been great for the club.

The DK revisionism on here is plain disgusting though. As is the notion that every bad decision was DK's alone, and the good ones were made by the board as a whole.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I think some of the fans who weren't there have no idea just how DIRE our situation was before DK stepped in. Remember Archer didn't want to sell the club he just wanted it to fold and we were on our way to play in Gillingham to complete his endgame. You cannot overestimate the Messiah that was Knight....if you were there. I thought we were a gonner before DK stepped in and started FIGHTING to keep this club alive.

spot on. he is and will always be a true albion hero for saving our club. he's been an immense chairman over the years and i think almost all of us would like to see him on the pitch at falmer microphone in hand.

however i do think its time for some fresh ideas at the club, a change in leadership.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I'm amused by the notion that when Knight gets it wrong, it's a "terrible mistake", and when something goes right, it's "lucky".

Can you be both incompetent and lucky? Or perhaps the Slade appointment was a stroke of business genius and the Adams scenario a terribly unfortunate turn of fate. Or maybe our chairman's just like any other businessman. Some decisions you make don't work out, others do.

Show me a company director who's never put a foot wrong and I'll show you a shiny gold unicorn, sitting on a rainbow, plucking a harp strung with leprechaun hair.

got lucky with slade becuase he was his second choice. perhaps with gannon in charge we'd have stayed up too. we'll never know... and who cares now we've got super russel slade!

overall he's been superb as chairman. thanks for everything knight. but he (or the board, or bloom?) has made some terrible mistakes over the last 12 months - does anybody disagree with that?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can I ask for some clarification did Bil Archer want the club to collapse, while No one else was on the horizon besides Dick Knight? It seems that is some people's vision of history.

Bill Archer - did he really want the club to collapse? Or has it just been painted that way because he held out for as much money as he could even though the club could have gone to the wall? Was he more interested in getting as much money as he could?

Dick Knight - Was he alone in rescuing the club? Percentage-wise, how much of the consortium was he? Was he just a figure had and nominal financial contributor? What sort of % is he contributing now?

Other potential buyers - I hear that some other groups were interested in buying the club, but Archer refused to let them see the books. DK and his consortium was the only one willing to do a deal without seeing the books. Some people seem to act as if this means if DK didn't buy the club it would cease to exist.

Archer is a business man, surely if none of the potential buyers were willing to buy without seeing the books, he would have caved so that he could make some money instead of letting the club collapse and getting nothing? Especially as the fans were also making his life hell and it would only get worse. Essentially there was a game of bluff, and Knight blinked first, no?

I know "Evil Bill Archer tried to destroy the club until the heroic Dick Knight stood up, alone, to save the club with his bare hands" is a great romantic story, but just how accurate is it?

Interesting take. I confess I always thought Archer just wanted us to go away but DK wouldn't let him get away with it and I'd be interested to hear from other people, who were around at the time on their opinion on your post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here