Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight is on his way out

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm not trying to get anyone to justify what they did. I know it was necessary to save the club.

"Hitler was an evil person, the allied forces were heroes". A true statement, but that doesn't explain the complexities of world war 2, does it?

My reluctance to read build a bonfire is probably due to several issues, among them the worry of it being something that essentially is "brighton fans are great, Bill Archer is the anti-christ, here's a list of the great things the fans did" instead of "a sober and balanced look at the events, providing deep insight into the complex issues surrounding the events", there's also the idea of being a sheep, when something is popular I tend to avoid it (such as Titanic or Oasis, or Alan Partridge), probably the trouble of getting a copy (or is it still widely available in book stores?), and the hassle of having another book to read.

My reluctance is probably not all that fascinating.

Comparing the events of WWII and the events of trying to save Brighton & Hove Albion is utterly ludicrous. There was nothing deep and complex about 1995-97.

It seems like you're challenging the events as they were documented purely because you can with absolutely no basis or angle to challenge them on.

Sheep? Jesus wept.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
So basically we've landed yet another BHAdeb-alike but this one appears to have a CSE in Metalwork so is a comparitively class act. Spendid.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Comparing the events of WWII and the events of trying to save Brighton & Hove Albion is utterly ludicrous. There was nothing deep and complex about 1995-97.

It seems like you're challenging the events as they were documented purely because you can with absolutely no basis or angle to challenge them on.

Sheep? Jesus wept.

It wasn't a comparison. It was an example of how complex situations can be boiled down to true, but simple statements.

If it was so simple why write a book instead of just making a leaflet? I'm being glib. I don't actually think a leaflet should have been written.

I'm not challenging events. I'm not saying these things didn't happen, or we're looking at them in a wrong way. I'm just looking for a greater understanding of events. That's all. No ulterior motive. I'm not trying to defend Bill Archer, I'm not trying to belittle the contribution of Brady, Knight, Perry, the FA, the fans, any member of the consortium.

By sheep I mean it seems like everyone here has read Build a Bonfire, it's like to be considered a true fan you have to read it, to fit in with the herd.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So basically we've landed yet another BHAdeb-alike but this one appears to have a CSE in Metalwork so is a comparitively class act. Spendid.

As far as I remember, when the steel work discussion was going on, the person who asked the question suggested ordering the steel was a major step in the building of the stadium.

I said I didn't know if that was true, but if that was the case it was a fair question, that checking on the major steps is not the same as asking if the napkins have been ordered for the hospitality suite.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I think the answer to this, is simply just to read Build A Bonfire!!!

At the very worst it's a starting point, and if the versions of events don't satisfy your requirements, then start digging around for more.
Personally, i feel the book admirably paints a tremendous picture.... and if it were so far from the truth, i reckon Archer et al would have sued Steve & Paul.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think the answer to this, is simply just to read Build A Bonfire!!!

At the very worst it's a starting point, and if the versions of events don't satisfy your requirements, then start digging around for more.
Personally, i feel the book admirably paints a tremendous picture.... and if it were so far from the truth, i reckon Archer et al would have sued Steve & Paul.

Ah! Civility!

Is it still in print?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It wasn't a comparison. It was an example of how complex situations can be boiled down to true, but simple statements.

If it was so simple why write a book instead of just making a leaflet? I'm being glib. I don't actually think a leaflet should have been written.

I'm not challenging events. I'm not saying these things didn't happen, or we're looking at them in a wrong way. I'm just looking for a greater understanding of events. That's all. No ulterior motive. I'm not trying to defend Bill Archer, I'm not trying to belittle the contribution of Brady, Knight, Perry, the FA, the fans, any member of the consortium.

By sheep I mean it seems like everyone here has read Build a Bonfire, it's like to be considered a true fan you have to read it, to fit in with the herd.

How do you put two years of campaigning and events into one leaflet?

This was the individual personal accounts of about 40 people involved over those two years, including national journalists, politicians, poets, footballers and Ian Hart.

A suggestion - how about reading the the book before you offer your critique on it by damning it as the work of sheep?

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
It's impossible to record any significant events without bias. But it's important to record those events, nonetheless. Now it may be that "Build A Bonfire" has gained a status beyond that originally intended and certainly I cannot imagine the authors wanting the reading of it to become some sort of yardstick to measure loyalty. I'd still advise getting hold of a copy though because it is by far the best account of those dark days - days which are rapidly fading into ancient history.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Getting back to the point of the thread, is there any substance to the rumour he's going or not?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Guys, let me give you an insight into Acker79's mind. He's not an idiot, but I think he does come at things from a different angle sometimes; he'll think of a left-field idea and then defend it based simply on his own feelings. His comment that he ignores things because they're popular is an indication of this. To give you a specific example he thinks Southampton are in financial trouble not so much because of the playing budget because they spent too much on stuff like travel and better quality pies.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How do you put two years of campaigning and events into one leaflet?

This was the individual personal accounts of about 40 people involved over those two years, including national journalists, politicians, poets, footballers and Ian Hart.

A suggestion - how about reading the the book before you offer your critique on it by damning it as the work of sheep?

Where did I say the book was the work of sheep?!

I'm saying it feels like buying one because everyone here seems to have it would make me feel like a sheep.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Guys, let me give you an insight into Acker79's mind. He's not an idiot, but I think he does come at things from a different angle sometimes; he'll think of a left-field idea and then defend it based simply on his own feelings. His comment that he ignores things because they're popular is an indication of this.

Thank you. Through college and uni I was somewhat conditioned to look at things from many angles, many view points, often being forced to argue positions I vehemently disagreed with.

Maybe this has conditioned me to look for complexities where there are none.

I also often defend the logic behind arguments behind conclusions I may not necessarily agree with, but that tends to be more when discussing interpretations of films.

To give you a specific example he thinks Southampton are in financial trouble not so much because of the playing budget because they spent too much on stuff like travel and better quality pies.

Well, more that it was not just the playing budget, that the travel and pies (and club shop, stadium repayments, local schemes, youth academy etc) would have contributed too.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
when something is popular I tend to avoid it (such as Titanic or Oasis, or Alan Partridge),

I don't think you have to do unpopular things to prove your different. I think you have shown that you are quite special without having to justify it further.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
acker79 - stop being such a tool. you've had countless responses answering your questions about archer. accept what you're being told... or go and read up on the subject.

archer was scrum. end of.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
acker79 - stop being such a tool. you've had countless responses answering your questions about archer. accept what you're being told... or go and read up on the subject.

I askjed a question. I was abused for asking it, because it was thought to be loaded. I explained why I asked it, I got some decent responses, along with some people apparently misinterpreting what I said, I explained it.

I have accepted what I've been told, I've continued to post to explain myself, because I don't want people to go away with the misunderstanding that I think the writers of build a bonfire are sheep, or that archer is a hero, or that I think Knight did nothing, etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here