Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight is on his way out

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I askjed a question. I was abused for asking it, because it was thought to be loaded. I explained why I asked it, I got some decent responses, along with some people apparently misinterpreting what I said, I explained it.

I have accepted what I've been told, I've continued to post to explain myself, because I don't want people to go away with the misunderstanding that I think the writers of build a bonfire are sheep, or that archer is a hero, or that I think Knight did nothing, etc.

fair enough. it's a hugely emotive subject though this one mate. its important that people don't simply forget - or don't understand - what happened to us, what we went through.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I think the fact that under the Chairmanship of Archer the ground was sold without a new ground or a groundshare in place says it all. Brighton then announced a ground share deal with Portsmouth, that Portsmouth instantly confirmed had NOT been agread. So we sell the ground, rent it back for about £0.5m for one season and then pay a fortune to play at Gillingham with NO concrete plans for a return to Brighton.

During Archers reign the clause about the money from the sale of a ground having to be reinvested in the club was accidently left out when they rewrote the clubs constitution. An oversight was the official response to that.

Dick Knight made sure the consortium stayed together and took control of the club and as soon as possible the vermin called Bellotti was removed from the club and eventually Archer was paid off for his shares.

I think we sold the ground for about £7m to a company that then sold it on again just a matter of months later for about £20m also highlights how the club was shafted.

Of course I see things through a Brighton fans eyes, but if it wasnt for us the fans and DKs consortium nobody else would have stopped Archer and we would now not have a club to support. I went to every demo I could, did everything I could to help remove Archer, was banned from the Goldstone by Bellotti for my part in the Lincoln pitch invasion. I marched to Mellor after Wigan away, walked out of the home game against Hereford in protest.

Its very hard to be balanced when you are so involved and its easy to take it as an insult when people question if Archer was all that bad and Knight really that much of a saviour.

Rant over....but Archer (and Bellotti) certainly did nothing but harm to our club.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Good stuff, Mr Blobby, but one small point of order.

As I understand it, the deal to groundshare with Portsmouth HAD been made, then Archer came in and unilaterally ripped it up - much to Pompey's chagrin - saying travelling 220 miles for a home game was too far for Brighton fans.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
During Archers reign the clause about the money from the sale of a ground having to be reinvested in the club was accidently left out when they rewrote the clubs constitution. An oversight was the official response to that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it wasn't a clause relating to proceeds from the sale of the ground that was the problem. It was the Articles of Association which had previously stated that in the event of the club folding, any proceeds would go to local youth sports clubs or something similar. It was the removal of that clause that would have allowed Archer to wind the club up and keep the net proceeds, of which there probably wouldn't have been much due to the debts we had. Clubs cannot change the Articles of Association with agreement from the FA hence the reason they had to put it back in.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Correct me if I'm wrong but it wasn't a clause relating to proceeds from the sale of the ground that was the problem. It was the Articles of Association which had previously stated that in the event of the club folding, any proceeds would go to local youth sports clubs or something similar. It was the removal of that clause that would have allowed Archer to wind the club up and keep the net proceeds, of which there probably wouldn't have been much due to the debts we had. Clubs cannot change the Articles of Association with agreement from the FA hence the reason they had to put it back in.

Correct.

Although I suspect you meant to put in the word 'without' in front of 'agreement' in the last sentence.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Portsmouth FC's official response to the ground share issue was that they had had some discussions with Albion but nothing had been agreed.

By the way TLO, although many of us would like Porsmouth to be 110 miles away, the reality is that it's a whole lot nearer than that!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Portsmouth FC's official response to the ground share issue was that they had had some discussions with Albion but nothing had been agreed.

By the way TLO, although many of us would like Porsmouth to be 110 miles away, the reality is that it's a whole lot nearer than that!

True enough, but Archer thought it was 220 miles away.

My point is, his geography was so piss-poor, he thought Portsmouth was near Plymouth.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
True enough, but Archer thought it was 220 miles away.

My point is, his geography was so piss-poor, he thought Portsmouth was near Plymouth.

Pompey definitely hadn't agreed anything though.

This whole Fratton Park thing reminds me of when Archer and Bellotti turned up unanounced at Crawley's ground to find thier Chairman John Maggs mowing the pitch. The diabolical duo seemed to think they could agree a groundshare there and then. By this time they were desparate to be seen to be doing something-hence the Pompey/Crawley episodes- while the real financial shenannigans wre going on quietly beneath the surface.

Rot in Hell the pair of them...and never forget Greg Stanley. Archer administered the Stanley trust money which had to be a key point in explaining what went on.

delek

Banned
May 6, 2009
Hey guys i have World Cup 2010 Accomodation packages on offer.Book now too avoid disappointment. Have beautiful homes in Cape Town and JHB, on offer.

Hey guys i have World Cup 2010 Accomodation packages on offer.Book now too avoid disappointment. Have beautiful homes in Cape Town and JHB, on offer.

Really?! No way?!!! REALLY?! Oh wow! Pick me, me, me! I don't want to be disappointed, not now not EVER! OH god I hope I'm not too late..! PM sent. Please read mine first. Pretty please. Oh let it be MEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
CUNT

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Really?! No way?!!! REALLY?! Oh wow! Pick me, me, me! I don't want to be disappointed, not now not EVER! OH god I hope I'm not too late..! PM sent. Please read mine first. Pretty please. Oh let it be MEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
CUNT

LOL! For some reason I can hear Dudley Moore saying that!

Out of interest, where is that photo taken? I'm in it, as is my brother (he's the one wearing my Archer Out shirt), Superphil and Row Z Creased Shirt, but I can't place where it is. Is it Reading??

Liberty Stadium, Swansea I think

I heard the same 3 days ago and that the Blooms have had enough of the meddling - How much money must he have cost the Blooms in paying Dean Ian and Micky off??

except, if we belive what has been said, it was the Blooms that insisted that the trigger was pulled on Wilkins and Adams (Chapman went of his own accord, and Wilkins was offered a post which he turned down).

Correct.

Although I suspect you meant to put in the word 'without' in front of 'agreement' in the last sentence.

and as I understood it, they already had that agreement as they had called a board meeting to which several directors (John Campbell I think being the main one) were unable to attend. But they had enough votes for aboard meeting to be properly constituted, and the rest as they say, is his story

The odds on a biggish club going bust are very slim,yes maidstone etc but they are small clubs.There was zero chance we was ever going to go bust its all a myth of ifs and but's.

Look how many clubs of a reasonable stature have gone bust,yes a big fat ZERO in over 100 years.:rolleyes:

I think we can agree that in footballing terms Wimbledon were bigger than us -
FA Cup winners and longer spent in the top flight of English football (14 season, as against 4, founder members of the Premier League) than BHA (FA Cup finalists, reigning Third Division South Champions and merely 5% of their existance spent in the top flight)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here