Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight is on his way out

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
thats me told off eh :shrug:

all i meant was puppets never work
Who says he would be a puppet?
Look at what has happened at Ipswich recently, they have a wealthy backer who doesn't want to run the club day to day, so he brought in his own man to do it. Someone to work with him, and for him, doesn't necessarily have to be a 'puppet'. That said I don't know what would qualify Gary Stevens to do that.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
i don't. why do you just accept what the club say as fact?

You do (see A,ADO!O!'s post above) and you appear to have just done it again by saying that I 'accept what the club says as fact'. How do you know that? or did you you just make that up as well?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
"......do you remember when adams was sacked and the hart interview - it was clear then that bloom had instructed dick to pull the trigger (sounds a bit rude that doesn't it!)"

You did here, nothing like this was said or implied by either DK or IH during that interview.

that's not the impression i got.

i may we wrong of course. happy to be proved wrong old chap. perhaps we can agree that bloom is now a hugely influential figure at the club? wheather he pulled the trigger or merely loaded the bullets, he would certainly have been involved in mickeys firing.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Look at what has happened at Ipswich recently, they have a wealthy backer who doesn't want to run the club day to day, so he brought in his own man to do it. Someone to work with him, and for him, doesn't necessarily have to be a 'puppet'. That said I don't know what would qualify Gary Stevens to do that.

A bit like Archer and Bellotti then ???

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

So basically you mean a director of football ? or ?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
... Things might have changed since the pitch invasion forced Bloom to accept that sacking Slade was untenable.
Is that really how it happened? I say that in a genuine questioning manner, not in a sarcastic hands-on hips sneering 'is that REALLY how it happened?' way.

(It would fit in with what I've managed to deduce so far about Bloom's character).

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Many people think Tony Bloom has a lot of influence at the club. This may be true. However can anyone definatively state:
a) How does Tony Bloom earn a living (the answer is not poker)
b) How much is Tony Bloom worth.
c) How much money has he invested in the club.
d) What (if any) public pronouncements has he made regarding the club.
e) Where does he live (country).

Many people think Tony Bloom has a lot of influence at the club. This may be true. However can anyone definatively state:
a) How does Tony Bloom earn a living (the answer is not poker)
b) How much is Tony Bloom worth.
c) How much money has he invested in the club.
d) What (if any) public pronouncements has he made regarding the club.
e) Where does he live (country).

Ooh Ooh I know!! What do I win?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Is this today's rumour? Or Saturday's rumour?

Things might have changed since the pitch invasion forced Bloom to accept that sacking Slade was untenable.

As I said. Don't shoot the messenger. Heard this from v reliable source today and from someone else also today.

I'm not being coy nor do I know an awful lot more than I've said here. What's the word from your end then as we seem to have conflicting accounts?

Also, I don't see how Slades appointment changes DK having to go.

Then again, my source could be wrong entirely

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not sure if I like Gary Stevens to be part of the club.

What positive things has he done for us since he left for Spurs back in the 80's?

What positive things had slade done for us before he became a part of the club? What had Micky done for this club before he first took over? etc.

If we're only going to allow people who have done positive things for us in the past take part in this club in the future, we're really limiting our options.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The opening of Falmer Stadium is still more than 2 years away, and a lot of mistakes can be made by a 70-something year-old chairman in that time.

I agree that it is desirable for Knight to be central to the opening ceremony of Falmer, but in order for that to happen the club needs investment, therefore anyone who thinks an old bloke with no money in the midst of a credit crunch can deliver a £60m stadium is being optimistic.

Central to this issue is Dick's shareholding. He's still the largest single shareholder, so even if he was voted out as chairman he'd still be able to mess things up with his shareholding voting rights.

The Blooms will naturally want to safeguard their investment and the best way of doing that is being in control of the decision-making process.

However, we must remember that Knight and Perry have run this club prudently for the last decade; it would have been all too easy to spend, spend, spend and run the club into the ground.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The opening of Falmer Stadium is still more than 2 years away, and a lot of mistakes can be made by a 70-something year-old chairman in that time.

I agree that it is desirable for Knight to be central to the opening ceremony of Falmer, but in order for that to happen the club needs investment, therefore anyone who thinks an old bloke with no money in the midst of a credit crunch can deliver a £60m stadium is being optimistic.

Central to this issue is Dick's shareholding. He's still the largest single shareholder, so even if he was voted out as chairman he'd still be able to mess things up with his shareholding voting rights.

The Blooms will naturally want to safeguard their investment and the best way of doing that is being in control of the decision-making process.

However, we must remember that Knight and Perry have run this club prudently for the last decade; it would have been all too easy to spend, spend, spend and run the club into the ground.

Why does his age and current lack of money to put into the club (if that's a fact) mean he will automatically make poor decisions?

And for that matter, why does the extra wealth of the Blooms mean that they will make better decisions?

Fred Goodwin is a very wealthy man and younger than DK - he made some great decisions at RBS, didn't he?

Assuming that he might want the position, Tony Bloom could be the best chairman the club ever had...or the worst. Money doesn't equal ability.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I heard a woman only known as, 'deb', is the head of new investors looking to buy Knight out, her first Press Release will reportedly contain the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Knight IS old, and he HAS made big mistakes in recent times. His age and the 2 years to Falmer make further mistakes a possibility.

I'm not saying the Blooms will make better decisions, just that there is likely to be pressure from them to get control because they're committing more of their money to the Albion and the stakes are getting higher all the time.

One problem is that both Knight and the Blooms will want to safeguard their own investments, but may not trust the other to run the club.

Financing the stadium brings money sharply into the equation, and those that invest will usually want a big say. That's business.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The case for Knight continuing to run the club has always been a good one. However his age is a factor. It has to be. The bigger factor though is the apparent lack of decision making power he has had in recent months. Bloom is investing heavily in the ALbion, more than anyone else in the history of the club has done. It is therefore only right that he has a big say in what is happening. It is one thing to let Knight run the club on behalf of shareholders who have invested relatively small sums of money, but this is a significant chunk we are talking about. It therefore makes sense for the club to be run by someone representing Bloom. This clearly can not be Dick Knight as he is another shareholder, so it need to be someone appointed by Bloom. If Gary Stevens is that man then so be it. It is only the same type of scenario as Karen Brady. Although Karen Brady's business acumen was more widely known when she joined Birmingham.

As I said. Don't shoot the messenger. Heard this from v reliable source today and from someone else also today.

I'm not being coy nor do I know an awful lot more than I've said here. What's the word from your end then as we seem to have conflicting accounts?

Also, I don't see how Slades appointment changes DK having to go.

Then again, my source could be wrong entirely
I have NO inside information on this at all. All I do know is that someone passed on a rumour to me on Saturday to the effect that Tony Bloom wanted both Dick Knight AND Russell Slade to move on and that the decisions would be taken on Sunday.

The fact that Russell Slade has survived makes me ask whether DK has survived as well - hence my question as to whether or not this was Saturday's rumour or Today's rumour.

Alternatively ... maybe I should be asking - as you are - whether any of these rumours are true in the first place?

The person who passed Saturday's rumour on to me was not someone very close to the action, merely an individual who had heard it.

I'm certainly not in the business of shooting messengers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here