Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diane Abbott MP.... Racist?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Im not being stupid...I have NEVER been in a car with white people that has been stopped by the police for no obvious reason...and I repeat...never.....its happened countless times when ive been with other races....that does not make me stupid....and yeah, you hit the nail on the head...prejudices....the best being our family in a car outside a church in S.London at 10:00 on a Sunday morning and preparing to get out of the car to enter the Church....having a police car draw up next to us, and enquire what we were doing?....

The stupid bit hit a nerve and I didn't mean you ARE stupid, I thought your example that you felt this confirmed racism WAS stupid.

I and another poster have offered examples where we were continually stopped and it caused frustration and inconvenience.

At the time I didnt really rationalise the polices behaviour, but did feel aggrieved nonetheless.

I am certain I was of an age, with a certain car at a certain time of day and night that prompted their 'suspicion', or maybe they were just winding me up, who knows.

But it is a great leap of faith to go from frustration at being stopped in your car to an example of how racism is alive and kicking in this country because we too are experiencing those same issues.

Prejudices can serve us all well to, it needs to be blunted by experiences and understanding, but we all use them.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Its my experience...when it happens constantly, you will think its racism.... like I say, ive had different experiences with the police when I was with black people to when I was with white people....with white people, nothing has ever happened without due cause..was never stopped, never searched, never asked where I was going, or where I have been.... the amount of times it happened when living with a black family was different. I cant change my past, and to suggest racism wasnt an element of the police during my younger years would be disingenuous.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Im not being stupid...I have NEVER been in a car with white people that has been stopped by the police for no obvious reason...and I repeat...never.....its happened countless times when ive been with other races....that does not make me stupid....and yeah, you hit the nail on the head...prejudices....the best being our family in a car outside a church in S.London at 10:00 on a Sunday morning and preparing to get out of the car to enter the Church....having a police car draw up next to us, and enquire what we were doing?....

Absolutely agree. Interestingly I was stopped repeatedly in the 90s when the IRA ceasefire ended in 1996 because I have ginger hair and they thought I might possibly be Irish. Stopped as soon as the ceasefire resumed. More interestingly I had several asian friends who were stopped for no reason other than owning a car. The main other difference is that on every occasion I was stopped the Police were polite, courteous and apologetic at the end for taking up my time. However when my asian friends were stopped the police were often insolent and sarcastic and clearly winding them up. Funny that.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Let's face it, in todays world those who persecute,enslave and murder black people the most, are blacks themselves.

Black people with her attitude don't like to recognise the present, more live in the past.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Absolutely agree. Interestingly I was stopped repeatedly in the 90s when the IRA ceasefire ended in 1996 because I have ginger hair and they thought I might possibly be Irish. Stopped as soon as the ceasefire resumed. More interestingly I had several asian friends who were stopped for no reason other than owning a car. The main other difference is that on every occasion I was stopped the Police were polite, courteous and apologetic at the end for taking up my time. However when my asian friends were stopped the police were often insolent and sarcastic and clearly winding them up. Funny that.

Surely your IRA era, confirms that the police were not acting as racists but acting upon racial profiling, which again is frustrating but to me wholly reasonable.

For no other ulterior motives had they stopped you in the first place, otherwise they would still be doing it.

Again when I was stopped when I was younger I was far more belligerent than I am now and the police would react to that as well, now if I am stopped there is a polite conversation as they check my details and off I go, this may go someway to explain your asian friends experiences.

It doesnt always have to be racism, you are not offering anything exclusive to your friends experiences, its happening to everyone.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Gay people love playing "divide & rule" We should not play their game #tacticasoldassodom"

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Its my experience...when it happens constantly, you will think its racism.... like I say, ive had different experiences with the police when I was with black people to when I was with white people....with white people, nothing has ever happened without due cause..was never stopped, never searched, never asked where I was going, or where I have been.... the amount of times it happened when living with a black family was different. I cant change my past, and to suggest racism wasnt an element of the police during my younger years would be disingenuous.
I think you're missing the point a bit. No one will ever deny for one second that black people in Britain and elsewhere have suffered from racism and discrimination. However 'two wrongs don't make a right' as my old mum used to say. Abbott's comment was racist, pure and simple, unless you want to go down the 'black people can't be racist' path - which being an intelligent man I'm sure you don't.

And to answer you're other point that it's the "PC gone mad' brigade who seem to be making the most noise, well, maybe. But I would hope that all those who condemned John Terry would also be equally vociferous in condemning Abbott. After all her crime is worse; Terry only made a comment towards one individual rather than a sweeping generalisation of an entire people.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Surely your IRA era, confirms that the police were not acting as racists but acting upon racial profiling, which again is frustrating but to me wholly reasonable.

It more proves what idiots were on the beat at the time or in the least those directing them to do so.

That's some indepth profiling they had going on there, must have pulled over a shitload of Scots in that time.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Let's face it, in todays world those who persecute,enslave and murder black people the most, are blacks themselves.

Black people with her attitude don't like to recognise the present, more live in the past.

Not sure what research you have done to back up that statement.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I am not offended by her or her remarks. I would expect her to be repremanded and slapped down by the labour party as that is what happens in the conservative party when a tory is caught spouting stupid.

Like thats going to happen, and that is the Reason the BNP thrive and have credability.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

For no other ulterior motives had they stopped you in the first place, otherwise they would still be doing it.

Again when I was stopped when I was younger I was far more belligerent than I am now and the police would react to that as well, now if I am stopped there is a polite conversation as they check my details and off I go, this may go someway to explain your asian friends experiences.

It doesnt always have to be racism, you are not offering anything exclusive to your friends experiences, its happening to everyone.

Don't disagree with that but as Tyrone says its pretty stupid. they probably did stop a lot of Scots. My pint though is that the police were polite to me. They weren't to my asian friends.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Not sure what research you have done to back up that statement.

Are you serious?

Rwanada, The Congo, Sudan. Millions have died in those conflicts and all at the hands of their own countrymen or African neighbours and all in the last 20-30 years.

You show me one recent example where a "White" nation has killed this many blacks in that time frame.

There have been over 9 million refugees and internally displaced people from conflicts in Africa. Millions of people have been slaughtered from a number of conflicts and civil wars. If this scale of destruction and fighting was in Europe, then people would be calling it World War III with the entire world rushing to report, provide aid, mediate and otherwise try to diffuse the situation.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Are you serious?

Rwanada, The Congo, Sudan. Millions have died in those conflicts and all at the hands of their own countrymen or African neighbours and all in the last 20-30 years.

You show me one recent example where a "White" nation has killed this many blacks in that time frame.

Agreed all those atrocities are horrific. Africa is a Continent with many unstable governments and warring factions. The fact it is Black on Black killings is no more relevant to the White on White killings in Bosnia or Arab on Arab killings in Iraq/Kurdistan. We are talking about racism, that is completely different to what you have brought up.

I am not offended by her or her remarks. I would expect her to be repremanded and slapped down by the labour party as that is what happens in the conservative party when a tory is caught spouting stupid.

Like thats going to happen, and that is the Reason the BNP thrive and have credability.

Oh no ! I agree with Looney.

Imo she's not racist she's just stupid and as such should not be an MP...........oh I've just realised what I said ..............

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Agreed all those atrocities are horrific. Africa is a Continent with many unstable governments and warring factions. The fact it is Black on Black killings is no more relevant to the White on White killings in Bosnia or Arab on Arab killings in Iraq/Kurdistan. We are talking about racism, that is completely different to what you have brought up.

It's the same. The Bosnian killings were racially motivated. Racism isn't jsut about skin colour it's about culture as well.

Black on Black racism does exist.

The whole Rwandan conflict was due to racist attitudes between the Hutus and the Tutsi and that lead to approx 800,000 people dying.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
It's the same. The Bosnian killings were racially motivated. Racism isn't jsut about skin colour it's about culture as well.

Black on Black racism does exist.

The whole Rwandan conflict was due to racist attitudes between the Hutus and the Tutsi and that lead to approx 800,000 people dying.

Yes I agree and I should have expanded my last comment. This whole conversation is about racism or perceived racism in the UK. I didn't think it was relevant to draw from other conflicts around the world as a way of lessening a discussion point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here