Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derek Chapman has a swipe at DK

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
What I don't understand is how Derek Chapman could have so many discussions with Ray Bloom about how to finance the building of the stadium without Ray Bloom mentioning at an earlier point that Tony had some money. Did Ray Bloom not know about Tony Bloom's wealth or did he withhold that information for some reason? Did Tony Bloom's fortune suddenly grow or did the funds come from elsewhere with Tony Bloom as the front man. I appreciate that he may not have wanted to invest significant funds until planning permission was granted, but surely he could have made it clear that he would invest once this had happened. It was clear even before the credit crunch that the club could not have completely funded the build through bank borrowing. Is there something we are not being told here?

I thought the whole point with TB was that he didn't want to invest if it wasn't necessary (although obviously he was paying the players' wages, etc). He only jumped in when there was no other option. That's my understanding (although could be completely wrong)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I thought the whole point with TB was that he didn't want to invest if it wasn't necessary (although obviously he was paying the players' wages, etc). He only jumped in when there was no other option. That's my understanding (although could be completely wrong)

Yes, although the inevitability was much earlier than many imagined. We don't know what his original intended investment was. Because of what I originally posted I've long suspected he was going to invest a significant amount and have significant control. This moved to full control (and position of chairman) when the banks collapsed and luckily his other business interest dictated he could.

A lucky twist in the tale.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yes, although the inevitability was much earlier than many imagined. We don't know what his original intended investment was. Because of what I originally posted I've long suspected he was going to invest a significant amount and have significant control. This moved to full control (and position of chairman) when the banks collapsed and luckily his other business interest dictated he could.

A lucky twist in the tale.

I was told by a bank at the time that he was stumping up £30million towards the stadium, the balance coming from grants, sponsorship and then bank finance. When bank finance became unavailable Bloom said he would pay the lot.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I was told by a bank at the time that he was stumping up £30million towards the stadium, the balance coming from grants, sponsorship and then bank finance. When bank finance became unavailable Bloom said he would pay the lot.

And although you didn't post the exact details and others alluded to it, I recall it didn't sit nicely with some who are quite obviously being told a different story.

The point I'm trying to make is such. Tony was always going to be "in control", but possibly with a slightly less public role.

Fortunate the "spat" if there is one has taken place after the event.

I remember being told, during the Withdean years, that TB's financial input in his early years of funding things wasn't anything like an investment, but was much more stuff like paying the electricity bill. Vital at the time, obviously, but nothing to suggest what was to happen later.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

According to Martin Perry in we want falmer, he was made aware by tony bloom that he would fund whatver shortfall there was, soon after planning permission was granted in 2007.

Although in a conversation prior to that book, bloom himself said that at the time of the original planning permission in 2005 he didn't have the cash available that he had 2 years later. So perhaps ldc did us a favour?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Personally for me DK has to some extent smudged some of the great stuff he did for the club, a little like Gus did. Humans being what they are history is full of folk trying to get their own back. Clearly Dick was miffed at losing the Chairmanship and has in my view chosen to seek some revenge. It's truly sad, and I hope and believe one day he might consider this whole book thing regretful. It seems strange to me that he in fact wasn't pressing Tony Bloom to take the reins anyway considering his enormous investment. I'm damned sure I would expect to be in the driving seat too.

"Dick would still enjoy boardroom hospitality, would continue to watch games from the directors’ box with his family, and he would still be invited to all club events.

"But what amazed me was that Dick also asked for money."

Why shouldn't Dick Knight expect some of his £2million back?

Exactly - probably the same reason why Chapman expected to get paid for his company's work at Withdean. Peculiar high moral ground he's chosen to sit on there.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I remember being told, during the Withdean years, that TB's financial input in his early years of funding things wasn't anything like an investment, but was much more stuff like paying the electricity bill. Vital at the time, obviously, but nothing to suggest what was to happen later.

Do you think he carefully kept a running total of it all, so that he can ask for it back, later?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Exactly - probably the same reason why Chapman expected to get paid for his company's work at Withdean. Peculiar high moral ground he's chosen to sit on there.

Which, according to DC, was over and above the estimated £1.5m he had put into the club and was done 'at cost or very small profit'.
Are you suggesting Adenstar should have footed all of the construction works at Withdean including material/sub contractor costs?

Which, according to DC, was over and above the estimated £1.5m he had put into the club and was done 'at cost or very small profit'.
Are you suggesting Adenstar should have footed all of the construction works at Withdean including material/sub contractor costs?

Yes I am arguing that - if Chapman wants to hold Dick Knight to a standard that argues you should ONLY CONTRIBUTE to the Albion and get NOTHING back.

If Chapman wants to get off his inconsistent high horse, then the payments that Adenstar got were perfectly reasonable.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Yes I am arguing that - if Chapman wants to hold Dick Knight to a standard that argues you should ONLY CONTRIBUTE to the Albion and get NOTHING back.

If Chapman wants to get off his inconsistent high horse, then the payments that Adenstar got were perfectly reasonable.

Well he hasn't personally up to now has he if you believe what he says?

Adenstar, as a Ltd Company, is a legal entity in it's own right with other directors and shareholders who possibly have no connection to the Albion.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Adenstar, as a Ltd Company, is a legal entity in it's own right with other directors and shareholders who possibly have no connection to the Albion.

Well quite. It is a lazy and pointless comparison to make.

Well quite. It is a lazy and pointless comparison to make.

Chapman's company making money out of the Withdean contracts when we didn't have a financial pot to piss in is irrelevant then? You've boxed yourself into a bit of a corner, haven't you? :smile:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Chapman's company making money out of the Withdean contracts when we didn't have a financial pot to piss in is irrelevant then? You've boxed yourself into a bit of a corner, haven't you? :smile:

Not in the slightest, no.

Chapman getting his company to carry out the essential works, at COST or just above, BECAUSE we didn't have a pot to piss in, and thus couldn't get the work done otherwise, is extremely relevant.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Chapman said that a lot of work done at Withdean was done at cost, or very small profit. If the work had been undertaken on more commercial terms by another supplier presumably this would have been worse for the Albion's precarious finances at that time.

rool

Jul 10, 2003

Do you not think that the club benefited from a significantly lower price for works that had to be done to allow them to use Withdean compared to going on an open tender?
I would imagine it was out of DC's authority to approve significant losses on behalf of all of the other Adenstar investors.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Do you not think that the club benefited from a significantly lower price for works that had to be done to allow them to use Withdean compared to going on an open tender?
I would imagine it was out of DC's authority to approve significant losses on behalf of all of the other Adenstar investors.

Or Derek Chapman personally paid the bills so his company didn't suffer losses ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here