Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derek Chapman has a swipe at DK

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Yes, but this time round it is clearer what you are saying. Last time it seemed like you were suggesting he would have to continue doing parts of his job after he was fired.

The certainty of a counter claim would require proof or even a suggestion that he was deliberately trying to get fired. At no point has such a suggestion been made, I'd even suggest the comments from the club or Bloom seem to suggest he just wanted out, without any sense of a particular destination so their own public account of things would undermine their claims. So I think it's unlikely there would have been a counter suit, at least on those grounds.

The motivation behind any act of gross misconduct wouldn't alter any contractual limitations as discussed.

In any case I think you are missing the point - doesn't matter how likely or not any counter-claim may be it is perfectly feasible that Sunderland 'required' GP to come to a mutual agreement with BHAFC so that it was not a possibility and GP could concentrate on the job there.

Just as likely as other scenarios put forward.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The motivation behind any act of gross misconduct wouldn't alter any contractual limitations as discussed.

In any case I think you are missing the point - doesn't matter how likely or not any counter-claim may be it is perfectly feasible that Sunderland 'required' GP to come to a mutual agreement with BHAFC so that it was not a possibility and GP could concentrate on the job there.

Just as likely as other scenarios put forward.

I was just trying to explain why you and drew were disagreeing on contract laws, then got side tracked by the way the discussion has gone.

I totally agree that it's entirely possible Gus dropping plans to take action is a result of Sunderland asking him to (or that his plan for action was because he feared the way it ended would prevent him getting a job so he'd need to clear his name and getting the job at sunderland showed it wasn't an issue so he decided it wasn't worth the effort any more, or he may have come to believe he wouldn't have a case, or he could have just decided to put the whole thing behind him).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hands up all those people who ACTUALLY know what happened with poyet and the club....no speculation! just solid facts!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The extraordinary oversight by Derek Chapman has ensured two things didn't happen with the Amex, overspend & delay. Unlike so many infrastructure projects (current example the Shoreham Footbridge just completed, which cost double the initial tender & had either 5 or 6 delays in opening) DC brought it in so well, like a great referee, he went virtually unnoticed.
We owe him a great deal of thanks

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The extraordinary oversight by Derek Chapman has ensured two things didn't happen with the Amex, overspend & delay. Unlike so many infrastructure projects (current example the Shoreham Footbridge just completed, which cost double the initial tender & had either 5 or 6 delays in opening) DC brought it in so well, like a great referee, he went virtually unnoticed.
We owe him a great deal of thanks

Spot on, an outstanding achievement. DC thoroughly deserves any 'perks' he may now be getting for delivering the stadium project so professionally. The dig DK apparently made his way at the signing seems another example of a petty lack of class to me. Still, it's all about opinions isn't it, and I'm sure those more enamoured by DK than me will see it as another example of his charming wit. And by the sounds of it, it wasn't even a very clever dig - why would being in Qatar prevent DC from reading the book if he wanted to? Has DK not heard of the internet and them Kindle thingy's?

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Spot on, an outstanding achievement. DC thoroughly deserves any 'perks' he may now be getting for delivering the stadium project so professionally. The dig DK apparently made his way at the signing seems another example of a petty lack of class to me. Still, it's all about opinions isn't it, and I'm sure those more enamoured by DK than me will see it as another example of his charming wit. And by the sounds of it, it wasn't even a very clever dig - why would being in Qatar prevent DC from reading the book if he wanted to? Has DK not heard of the internet and them Kindle thingy's?

But of course you'll admit that it was good judgement on DK's part to bring DC aboard as stadium project manager, I presume?

But do you mind if I wildly misquote you, in order to prove my point?
Feel free. B.W and Acker69 are happily either misquoting me or misunderstanding me.

I'm baffled as to why this discussion of what I said (and why) seems to be of such interest. The rights and wrongs of dunking biscuits seems to me to be a more productive line of enquiry.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I have read the book now and if anyone is interested here are my thoughts;

I was very interested in his stories about being an ad man at the start of the book all rather interesting about a world I know nothing about.

I was suprised he didnt give both barrels to archer. Tame and thus just a little disapointed.

I never realised how much control he excerted on who to buy or sell. Is this normal for a chairman?

The tone of the book changes in chapter 25/26. I dont think bitter is the word but you get the feeling he was more isolated than before, this is about the same time he mentions TBs money coming in.

Of all the people I didnt expect a bad word said about it was Martin Perry. That was a suprise.

I got the impression Tony put his nose out when he made the aproach to be chairman. But dick is a big boy and he is letting the readers of his book know how he felt. Tony, me or the postman can do the same.

The second to last chapter (29) I felt was writen at a different time, it had a differnent ryhtm to it. It had frustration, annoyance and disapointment in it; the ex-wife analogy above is fitting.

It was an enjoyable and well written read (if only I could pass that onto Nick...) but nothing to get your knickers in a twist about.

Last edited:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I thought the North Stand singing split was bad........but this DK/DC split takes the biscuit

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Feel free. B.W and Acker69 are happily either misquoting me or misunderstanding me.

I'm baffled as to why this discussion of what I said (and why) seems to be of such interest. The rights and wrongs of dunking biscuits seems to me to be a more productive line of enquiry.

?!?! Did you miss my parentheses?!

Here is the offending post, LB. (bolded to highlight the important bit)

The blame you heap on Barber in there is clear for all to see. I don't see how you can deny apportioning the entirety of blame on Barber.

(Should I add a smiley to indicate my sarcasm? - I assume it's the offending post, it's the only one of yours in this thread to mention the poyet/barber relationship or poyet leaving)

I guess I should have added that smiley...

Last edited:

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
What I don't understand is how Derek Chapman could have so many discussions with Ray Bloom about how to finance the building of the stadium without Ray Bloom mentioning at an earlier point that Tony had some money. Did Ray Bloom not know about Tony Bloom's wealth or did he withhold that information for some reason? Did Tony Bloom's fortune suddenly grow or did the funds come from elsewhere with Tony Bloom as the front man. I appreciate that he may not have wanted to invest significant funds until planning permission was granted, but surely he could have made it clear that he would invest once this had happened. It was clear even before the credit crunch that the club could not have completely funded the build through bank borrowing. Is there something we are not being told here?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Horrible expression to use, but leading up to the financing of the stadium quite obviously not everyone was on the same page.

I remember a bit of a spat on here that I read with interest, since I had heard at the time (as had a few others) that funding was not a problem and I remember the expression well "a mortgage was not the significant amount". This was at a fans club meeting.

This completely jarred with messages on here from those who had heard things from the er.. other camp.

I call it that now, because in reality we didn't know it was Tony's and neither did others. Quite obviously since it routinely posted on here that the finances were in place. I chuckled a bit when I read the bit in the book regarding the sound business case. Well sorry if it ain't your money your interpretation doesn't count.

I presumed (as others did who heard it) that there was an unknown investor ready to pounce.

Reading Dick's book I've now come to the conclusion that he was 1) Genuinely trying to keep the club out of single person control 2) Trying to retain his own control.

People are complex I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here