Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dennis Wise (Reprise)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Does anyone remember how long Gritt got in the season after Hereford? This has a very similar feel about it to me. Last season's hero cannot carry the heroics on and the board lose patience very quickly. I'm sure he had at least 10-12 games though?

He got fired end of Feb.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Slade was apparently Knight's second choice behind Gannon but not on Bloom's list which it is alleged included Pardew, Gary Stevens and Paul Ince

That list is quite alarming if true.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Does the bit in today's argus where a club source states they have not got anyone else lined up count as a vote of confidence in Slade?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He got fired end of Feb.

I didn't realise that he got that long, I hope Slade gets at least 8 more games, if we are still being taken apart by other teams, are unable to hold a lead, or still have discipline problems on the pitch it'll be time to show him the door, before it's too late to rescue the season imo. If it ended up being Wise in charge in 6 weeks time I wouldn't be thrilled but I won't be having the temper tantrums so so many are threatening.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I didn't realise that he got that long, I hope Slade gets at least 8 more games, if we are still being taken apart by other teams it'll be time to show him the door, imo.

Wasn't he then replaced by Jeff Woods who took us on a run of 12 successive defeats-something like that anyway. Only a terrible Doncaster team saved us from the conference because we weren't going to do it ourselves.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
I think what might be upsetting alot of people including me is the manner of the defeats so far. Huddeersfield was just humiliating. Yes they are a good bet to go up and have a good team. But on paper, so de we. Remember folks, we are talking about 3rd division football here. It really shouldn't be as much of a struggle as it has been so far. Results this season show that most teams are capable of beating each other, except us. Why?

Then to lose against Stockport and the sending offs shows total lack of player discipline. Why?

Now if we had lost both of those games something like 2-1, 3-2 etc I'm sure alot of fans would say that we were trying, not far off the mark and that with abit more tinkering Slade will get it right. But this results were catastrophic tonkings!

It's been such a freaky start to the season, I can see why alot of fans have the jitters and are talking about possible replacements for Slade. Considering how much money Bloom has put into the club and the fact Slade was not his choice, It would not surprise me to see him get the sack if Millwall stuff us this week. There is no way Bloom wants us in League 1 or 2 when Falmer is ready. Don't forget we need to get roughly 15,000 through the gate at each game at Falmer to break even. Do you see that happening if we are still struggling in this division or God forbid Div 4?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I think what might be upsetting alot of people including me is the manner of the defeats so far. Huddeersfield was just humiliating. Yes they are a good bet to go up and have a good team. But on paper, so de we. Remember folks, we are talking about 3rd division football here. It really shouldn't be as much of a struggle as it has been so far. Results this season show that most teams are capable of beating each other, except us. Why?

Then to lose against Stockport and the sending offs shows total lack of player discipline. Why?

Now if we had lost both of those games something like 2-1, 3-2 etc I'm sure alot of fans would say that we were trying, not far off the mark and that with abit more tinkering Slade will get it right. But this results were catastrophic tonkings!

It's been such a freaky start to the season, I can see why alot of fans have the jitters and are talking about possible replacements for Slade. Considering how much money Bloom has put into the club and the fact Slade was not his choice, It would not surprise me to see him get the sack if Millwall stuff us this week. There is no way Bloom wants us in League 1 or 2 when Falmer is ready. Don't forget we need to get roughly 15,000 through the gate at each game at Falmer to break even. Do you see that happening if we are still struggling in this division or God forbid Div 4?

What have I been saying ?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Nope, Steve Gritt was replaced by Nobby Horton who when had Wood as his assistant who took over when Horton went to Port Vale.

Age is a terrible thing...all those shit years blend into one horrible memory!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004

It's a fair point. We've lost at home to two poor-to-middling teams, suffered our biggest defeat in decades, and got one pretty good result. People can make excuses about luck or refs or anything they like, but an unbiased observer would not say we deserved to win any of our games even without these things. We've been crap.

But five games is too soon to be thinking about sackings. Even if we get hammered by Millwall I think it will be too soon. If things haven't improved after 10 games then things will need to be looked at, I'm still quite confident that they will improve though.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
It's a fair point. We've lost at home to two poor-to-middling teams, suffered our biggest defeat in decades, and got one pretty good result. People can make excuses about luck or refs or anything they like, but an unbiased observer would not say we deserved to win any of our games even without these things. We've been crap.

But five games is too soon to be thinking about sackings. Even if we get hammered by Millwall I think it will be too soon. If things haven't improved after 10 games then things will need to be looked at, I'm still quite confident that they will improve though.

If things have not improved in another ten games, we will be doomed to relegation. It would mean we have 3-4 points from 14 games!

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Don't forget we need to get roughly 15,000 through the gate at each game at Falmer to break even. Do you see that happening if we are still struggling in this division or God forbid Div 4?

I thought that figure, (actually 12,000 I thought), was on the basis of us borrowing shed loads of cash from the banks. I understood Tony Blooms contribution is basically interest free with no repayment due for about 20 years so I would have thought large gates arn't necessarily the be all and end all to keep us going.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
If things have not improved in another ten games, we will be doomed to relegation. It would mean we have 3-4 points from 14 games!
I mean after 10 games of the season, not 10 more games. Point is that 5 games is far too soon to be sacking anybody.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I mean after 10 games of the season, not 10 more games. Point is that 5 games is far too soon to be sacking anybody.

I agree, but on the other hand, if we have say 2 points from ten games, are we going to need another miracle to just stay up?

I think the real acid test is just how ambitious is Tony Bloom? Does he really want us to be promoted within two years? If so, this is not a good start, and unlike under Dick Knight, it is not down to the Board's lack of money for a playing budget.

If we are to remain as a little seaside town's "family club", then I believe that Russell Slade is a good choice of Manager. But if Tony Bloom is determined to acheive something more, then I suspect he is looking very hard at Russell's position. Let's face it, nobody was expecting this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here