[Albion] Deniz Undav

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I don't know how fast/slow he is, but in that clip:
1) He gets his head down and starts sprinting before the defender does
2) He doesn't finish ahead of the defender, they're level
3) This is a defender from League One. Is there any indication they are particularly fast?

1) I don't recall Usain Bolt's competitors ever complaining that he began his sprints too early? If Undav began his early, I would have thought it was a cause for celebration, as it highlights his awareness, anticipation and acceleration. He makes up the three yards in no time!
2) That's debatable. What isn't debatable is that Undav met the ball and the defender didn't. Undav's header was unchallenged, because the defender wasn't close enough to make the challenge. I would say he was about two yards short.
3) I'm not claiming anything about League One defenders. Why is this relevant? If you want to go and google their relative speed, you are free to do so.

The bottom line is that Undav easily won a 50 yard straight line race with the defender, after giving him a three yard start when the defender was already moving. None of your three points change this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
1) I don't recall Usain Bolt's competitors ever complaining that he began his sprints too early?
What?
If Undav began his early, I would have thought it was a cause for celebration, as it highlights his awareness, anticipation and acceleration. He makes up the three yards in no time!
Yes it is good that he was aware and started his sprint early, no one said it wasn't. We were just talking about how fast he is.
2) That's debatable. What isn't debatable is that Undav met the ball and the defender didn't. Undav's header was unchallenged, because the defender wasn't close enough to make the challenge. I would say he was about two yards short.
It's really not debatable. When they cross the 18 yard like the defender looks to be marginally ahead and he'd have been well placed if the ball had been played on the ground. The cross went over the defender, not in front of him, so he couldn't make the challenge.
3) I'm not claiming anything about League One defenders. Why is this relevant?
You used the run of the defender as example of Undav being fast so of course it's relevant how fast the defender is.

The bottom line is that Undav easily won a 50 yard straight line race with the defender, after giving him a three yard start when the defender was already moving. None of your three points change this.
The points aren't supposed to challenge whether he caught up 3 yards, the points highlight that it's not enough evidence to show he'll be considered fast for a PL striker. Others have said he's slow, you're saying he's fast, I'm saying the jury is out.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Trig, this is going nowhere.

You now appear to be arguing with yourself. You mentioned sprinting in your previous comment; now you say it's not about sprinting! OK, it's not about sprinting then.

I posted a clip in which Undav out-paced a defender and got on the end of a long cross into the box. This is irrefutable. The camera doesn't lie.
Based on that clip, I said he's not slow, he's fast. Having looked at it again, he was fast over the first 15-20 metres, and then perhaps slowed up a bit, and looked knackered after the header, clinging to the fence for dear life.

I'm more than happy for your jury to be out.

As an aside, I can see why people think he's slow. It's his gait. His running style is deceptive. But I reckon he is like sh*t off a shovel over a short distance.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
If Deniz Undav had Usain Bolt speed, like people seem to be debating, and had scored/assisted the amount he did at USG then he wouldn't have cost £6m and be playing for BHAFC. But whatever his speed is its not the reason for our purchasing him.

Last year amongst other things we struggled to convert the 'simple' in the box but under pressure chances. The ones where seemingly it needed a calm composed finish rather than Neal blasting it over the bar. If you watch Deniz's USG goals a lot of them are these composed finishes where he's in the right position in the box on the end of a team move. That ability to calmly slot away those chances is in part the skillset we would have seen value in him for. Whether it works out or not, who knows, but for £6m its a risk worth taking. I think he'll best be utilised as a second striker playing off DW, but currently Trossard is rightly ahead of him for that role.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I think he'll best be utilised as a second striker playing off DW, but currently Trossard is rightly ahead of him for that role.

But we haven't actually utilised that format much this year.
DW has been mainly the sole striker with Solly and Tross used out wide. And overall that has worked well.

Only in a couple of the games has Trossard been pushed up top to play off Danny late on.

However, given that in the past GP has played two or three upfront on a number of occasions, I can see him starting Undav with Welbeck one game soon, even if to just experiment with different options.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If Deniz Undav had Usain Bolt speed, like people seem to be debating, and had scored/assisted the amount he did at USG then he wouldn't have cost £6m and be playing for BHAFC. But whatever his speed is its not the reason for our purchasing him.

Last year amongst other things we struggled to convert the 'simple' in the box but under pressure chances. The ones where seemingly it needed a calm composed finish rather than Neal blasting it over the bar. If you watch Deniz's USG goals a lot of them are these composed finishes where he's in the right position in the box on the end of a team move. That ability to calmly slot away those chances is in part the skillset we would have seen value in him for. Whether it works out or not, who knows, but for £6m its a risk worth taking. I think he'll best be utilised as a second striker playing off DW, but currently Trossard is rightly ahead of him for that role.

I think you are right with your assessment.

The question is therefore, what starting line-up could Potter employ to take advantage of Undav’s skill set?

I’m not sure he has one for now. But, those horrifically frustrating games where our players miss chance after change might have their outcome changed now with his introduction as a regular substitute.

That said, as it’s Potter, he’s probably starting tomorrow!

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I feel for Undav, he naturally has a pretty laid back demeanour and I've heard fans on here seem to be interpreting that as "bad body language", "looks slow" etc. That's fair enough to a degree I suppose, even his warm ups do look a little lethargic on the touchline. Still, people on here used to berate Murray for a similar demeanour and he still found the back of the net regularly for us! Let him have a run of games and let's see but don't expect him to bouncing around the pitch like Maupay or CMS.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10371408 said:
I feel for Undav, he naturally has a pretty laid back demeanour and I've heard fans on here seem to be interpreting that as "bad body language", "looks slow" etc. That's fair enough to a degree I suppose, even his warm ups do look a little lethargic on the touchline. Still, people on here used to berate Murray for a similar demeanour and he still found the back of the net regularly for us! Let him have a run of games and let's see but don't expect him to bouncing around the pitch like Maupay or CMS.

Quite, hopefully more like Murray than CMS.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
The only negative for me today !!!

Doesn't look , run or act like a footballer. Really hope we are proved wrong.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The only negative for me today !!!

Doesn't look , run or act like a footballer. Really hope we are proved wrong.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Hardly had anything to do in a match that was winding up but was neat and tidy in his few touches. You really didn't need to look for a negative.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Cameo appearance today, but at least at one point he held the ball up nicely, fighting off a couple of Leicester defenders before releasing the ball for Welbeck to take a (blocked) shot.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Come on folks, let’s not chastise the bloke, bit part player, introduced to a tight knit squad in a foreign league.
Half the players out there took time to bed in…..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here