Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deniz Undav

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Needs a loan move to play regularly in the Championship to get up to speed with English football. Could be good next season.
I think your right.
After watching him at Forest Green last week and his little cameo last night he looks miles off the pace and his body language isn't to good IMHO.
But then again I don't see him in training every day do I .

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Something wrong with the current Undav thread?

I've merged them.

Anyway. Far too early to say anything really... this is a bloke who has played in a first league (and a pretty meh one at that) for one season and though he isn't the youngest player, it will take time for him to adapt to one of the best leagues in the world. He'll learn everyday in training.

Astonishing, yet sadly not surprising, how many people that are making conclusions less than one month into the season and after seeing less than 20 minutes of him in the PL.

I think his trajectory, up to now, was pretty much what I expected. Introduced at Man U for a couple of minutes to get some experience and feel part of the group, when he really couldn't do some damage, first team start in the League Cup, a few more minutes in another PL game when we needed to push up and look for a goal. That would be exactly how I'd expect him to have been bedded in. But for two things.......

1) Resting Welbeck yesterday and starting with that team against Fulham. Deary me. And
2) Maupay being sold and no obvious replacement coming in, which would certainly lead to speculation that NM was down to number 3 choice.

You can see why people are asking the questions given 1 and 2?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
1) Resting Welbeck yesterday and starting with that team against Fulham. Deary me.

Like others have said, as soon as I saw the line-up I knew we were up against it. Unbelievable really not to start with a recognised striker in a match we were easily capable of winning.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Like others have said, as soon as I saw the line-up I knew we were up against it. Unbelievable really not to start with a recognised striker in a match we were easily capable of winning.

And inexcusable I think.

boik

Yup, sometimes it goes quick - like with Caicedo - sometimes slow - like with Ali Mac.

I have to say it is pretty ****ing NSC to write off a player who is entirely new in the country and the league and has played 15 minutes.

Looks like Biss is struggling at Spurs. I'm assuming the people writing off Deniz are confident that Biss is still a good player and will come good?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Looks like Biss is struggling at Spurs. I'm assuming the people writing off Deniz are confident that Biss is still a good player and will come good?

You're right. Biss though is interesting, he looked very languid on the pitch during the week. He has a laid-back style and I'm sure to some he looks lazy. We witnessed it every now and then. When he has a bad day he looks poor. Probably not that good in training. Potter had his number and improved him massively. He maybe a one manager player so to speak. Deniz will be worked on by Potter, the same with Ferguson.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...

No Dunk to shout at him in game; and on interviews he's been highlighted as a little "lazy" in training. Not surprised he's not getting a look in at the moment in a Conte team.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Something wrong with the current Undav thread?

Anyway. Far too early to say anything really... this is a bloke who has played in a first league (and a pretty meh one at that) for one season and though he isn't the youngest player, it will take time for him to adapt to one of the best leagues in the world. He'll learn everyday in training.

Astonishing, yet sadly not surprising, how many people that are making conclusions less than one month into the season and after seeing less than 20 minutes of him in the PL.

I don't always agree with you Swanny, but you are spot on. Players need time to adapt to the intensity and ferocity of the PL. Instant success in the PL is a rarity unless you're Cucurella.

A word on Undav's speed. It seems the received wisdom on here is that he lacks pace. I would contend the exact opposite.

Take a look at the 'sitter' he missed against Forest Green Rovers. It begins at 1:25 in.

He starts his run in our half, on the centre circle, three yards behind the last defender. He finishes his run, in the 6 yard box, 2 yards in front of that same defender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd7tXInoLZs&ab_channel=EFL

He looks slow, but he isn't. He's fast.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Potter picking Mwepu against Fulham says nothing about Undav. He often went without a striker when we had Maupay. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. It didn't work against Fulham because they squeezed the space well and we couldn't go long to a player who could hold the ball up and stretch the gap between their midfield and defence with the threat of pace in behind. Undav wouldn't have been able to do this job. It's not his game. Maupay wouldn't have been able to do it either. Potter now has evidence that, at this stage, Mwepu can't either, so he'll have to think again when he doesn't have Welbeck available.

This says nothing about Undav's ability. He has played a total of 12 minutes for us in the league. In his one start in the cup, he scored. Its amazing that Brighton fans, who should be completely used to the unorthodox approach of Graham Potter, should see a player not given a start and assume that his career is over with us. Undav's current Brighton career equates to 79 minutes played, one goal scored. We have won 4, drawn 1 and lost 1 in that time, so he has struggled to get playing time. Does that suggest that he isn't ready and needs to be loaned to the Championship? Or perhaps a more reasoned response might be something like:

“He is pushing. We have got a strong team and a strong starting XI.

“The results have been positive, the performances have been positive so he has to be really patient.

“He has done really well in training, he has mixed really well with the group.

“I think he has shown his quality so I think he just has to keep working.”

Who was it said that? He sounds like he might know his onions as far as this football management stuff goes...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I genuinely hope Undav comes good. Early signs worrying tho. Fair too early to say he won’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I don't always agree with you Swanny, but you are spot on. Players need time to adapt to the intensity and ferocity of the PL. Instant success in the PL is a rarity unless you're Cucurella.

A word on Undav's speed. It seems the received wisdom on here is that he lacks pace. I would contend the exact opposite.

Take a look at the 'sitter' he missed against Forest Green Rovers. It begins at 1:25 in.

He starts his run in our half, on the centre circle, three yards behind the last defender. He finishes his run, in the 6 yard box, 2 yards in front of that same defender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd7tXInoLZs&ab_channel=EFL

He looks slow, but he isn't. He's fast.

I was at FGR. He wasn't slow. He was very, very lazy but he wasn't slow. Tbh the one that looked slow was Ferguson albeit his all round game on the night was much better.

One game is a small sample size, easy to look wrong in hindsight. I remember Shane Duffy on debut. He was shit. That wasn't an indication of what was to come.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I don't feel that lazy is the correct conclusion. Perhaps it is more about how different players perceive their role, or what they are asked to do. Glen Murray often looked as if he was wandering about but he found a way to be in the right place at the right time. Undav is speedy enough........at Forest Green he moved well when he saw an opportunity to get on the ball in an attacking position. But he didn't do much tracking back or even in midfield. Perhaps he wasn't asked to. I was abit more worried that his holdup play didn't look all that good but , as others have said, it was just one game. He certainly took his chance very well......if he does that once per game then I imagine we would all be happy enough. If he wants game time and Potter wants him to play differently then he'll learn soon enough.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Far, far, too early……we’ve not seen enough of him yet. From what I’ve seen ‘in the flesh’, his finishing is levels above Maupay….watching him warm up, he’s absolutely lethal, but from game time so far he doesn’t look to have anything like Maupay’s work rate. If he can finish far more chances and half chances though there will be a place for him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't know how fast/slow he is, but in that clip:
1) He gets his head down and starts sprinting before the defender does
2) He doesn't finish ahead of the defender, they're level
3) This is a defender from League One. Is there any indication they are particularly fast?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I was at FGR. He wasn't slow. He was very, very lazy but he wasn't slow. Tbh the one that looked slow was Ferguson albeit his all round game on the night was much better.

One game is a small sample size, easy to look wrong in hindsight. I remember Shane Duffy on debut. He was shit. That wasn't an indication of what was to come.

Indeed. Did you see Biss on his first start for Spurs. ****ing awful!

We’ve been treated recently to a few players such as Cucu and Caicedo picking up Potterball very quickly indeed. That’s probably because both are top level and worth well over £50m.

For most players, and include Perv, Undav, Wee Billy and Ferguson, ‘getting’ Potterball is a journey in itself. But when a seemingly average player such as Daniel Burn or Solomon March grasps it, they can easily become a top 10 EPL player.

I suspect both of these forward are going to improve massively this season and I’m looking forward to it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Indeed. Did you see Biss on his first start for Spurs. ****ing awful!

We’ve been treated recently to a few players such as Cucu and Caicedo picking up Potterball very quickly indeed. That’s probably because both are top level and worth well over £50m.

For most players, and include Perv, Undav, Wee Billy and Ferguson, ‘getting’ Potterball is a journey in itself. But when a seemingly average player such as Daniel Burn or Solomon March grasps it, they can easily become a top 10 EPL player.

I suspect both of these forward are going to improve massively this season and I’m looking forward to it.

Wait, what……..you mean we need to be a bit patient ? Waaaaaaaaaaah, I WANT a PL ready player and I want him NOW :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here