Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deniz Undav

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
A stonking win against Leicester and all will be fine again!

We don’t really do stonking wins. Last season every team that finished above us scored at least 15 more goals than us. If we want to improve we need to score more goals - not that I’d complain at another 9th place finish

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I think yesterday was probably the game to give Undav a start, but it’s done now.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yup, sometimes it goes quick - like with Caicedo - sometimes slow - like with Ali Mac.

I have to say it is pretty ****ing NSC to write off a player who is entirely new in the country and the league and has played 15 minutes.

Spot on.

Laughable comments.

Bigger question should be around, what has happened to Mwepu. All over the place and not in a good way.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We don’t really do stonking wins. Last season every team that finished above us scored at least 15 more goals than us. If we want to improve we need to score more goals - not that I’d complain at another 9th place finish

Man U and West Ham were both stonking imho. Even a 2-0 and I’ll be very happy.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
GP has commented he wants another Wellbeck type striker which suggests he wants to rotate his preferred system. Impressions from watching Undav for USG last season was he has great finishing ability but work rate out of possession was lacking. This is something he is probably working on with the coaching staff as Groß detailed in his interview defending starts from the front in this system.

Seems a bit of a square peg in a round hole at the moment but still very early days

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The bottom line is that his work rate was so low at FGR he did nowhere near enough to make his way to the first team. On the night he was 3rd best of Ferguson and Enciso . The bigger question is why neither of them are trusted with the 9 role either

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Beating Man U 4-0 rated quite high on my stonk-o-meter.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Undav

Presumably deemed not (yet?) good enough to start in Welbeck's absence. Which leaves us with a big hole now that Maupay's departed.

What would have been the harm of starting with him in the Welbeck role last night and then changing things if it wasn't working? He definitely needs the experience and he's not going to get up to speed unless we give him game time.

I thought he was meant to be a solution to our striker problem? Pretty odd all round, really.

Have we got a dud?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
He's a player that's come a long way in a short time, Too early to write him off.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Not really sure why we brought him in if:

A- DW is benched and he doesn’t start
B- we only want strikers in the DW mould
C- he was no better that neal maupay who wasn’t suited to our style either.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Something wrong with the current Undav thread?

Anyway. Far too early to say anything really... this is a bloke who has played in a first league (and a pretty meh one at that) for one season and though he isn't the youngest player, it will take time for him to adapt to one of the best leagues in the world. He'll learn everyday in training.

Astonishing, yet sadly not surprising, how many people that are making conclusions less than one month into the season and after seeing less than 20 minutes of him in the PL.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Needs a loan move to play regularly in the Championship to get up to speed with English football. Could be good next season. Since GP uses so few recognised forwards I can't see the harm especially as most of our goals come from the midfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here