Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi was NOT “sacked”

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
So in short, you are backing him over Bloom?

Interests me that we got Barco in January and supposedly RDZ wanted to send him out on loan. Turned into our arguably most impressive player by the end of the season. Was it just a strop because he didn’t get the players HE wanted? :shrug:
I’m not backing anyone just saying I never heard him once say Tony isn’t spending £100m so I’m having a strop.
RDZ is mad to win football matches most would agree we sold the midfield gems and didn’t replace them adequately hence we struggled. Hardly surprising he wanted players in January to help the squad.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Interests me that we got Barco in January and supposedly RDZ wanted to send him out on loan. Turned into our arguably most impressive player by the end of the season. Was it just a strop because he didn’t get the players HE wanted? :shrug:
Woah! I don't think @Justice said that at all.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Why do horses stop when you say woah/whoa?

I've always wondered that.
It comes from when you first train them on a long rein (or on a lunge line) when you ask them to stop by pulling the reins you use the voice command “whoa” as well, eventually they’ll recognise the voice command without having to pull on them. Equally they’ll listen to other voice commands to get them to trot and canter. Whoa is said in a calming way, whereas asking them to move forward you’d use a more positive Inflection of the voice.

:thumbsup:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It comes from when you first train them on a long rein (or on a lunge line) when you ask them to stop by pulling the reins you use the voice command “whoa” as well, eventually they’ll recognise the voice command without having to pull on them. Equally they’ll listen to other voice commands to get them to trot and canter. Whoa is said in a calming way, whereas asking them to move forward you’d use a more positive Inflection of the voice.

:thumbsup:
Brilliant. NSC comes up trumps again. Thank you!

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I heard him say he wanted two or three players in January, didn’t hear any mention of fees. Unless you can post a presser clip where he mentioned these fees.
@GT49er is making the point that RDZ wanted to break the business model to sign players, considering our record signing was Pedro that allows for a reasonable assumption that the players RDZ wanted were at least in the 40 to 50m range, especially as he had just had two of his most critical players go for 140m+. Why do people on this forum make it so bloody hard by trying to score minuscule points by picking apart slight errors in others' posts. Surely you got the basic context of what @GT49er was saying

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
He's was just learning English and now he is going to have to get to grips with French. The way he spoke publicly about his views on our recruitment model probably put some off over here.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Just to go back to the beginning of this thread for a second, and I'm not saying that it happened in this case, but in football, 'mutual consent' is often the form of words used when a manager or coach is in fact sacked but agrees to go quietly with a payoff and not badmouth the club.

Of course, but this one feels a bit different. This one feels like 'we know you want to leave, you know you want to leave, so let's get it over and done with now rather than waiting till you get the offer you like. We'll give up some of the compo we would have got in order to be able to appoint a new manager now and give him the off season to prepare, rather than you doing a Potter after 6 games'

Yeah, maybe that's kind of a sacking, but it's not a 'you're shit and we hate you' sacking, it's just an acceptance that the relationship had run it's course.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

The issue with having young players isn't that they can throw in a few impressive performances at the end of a season.
It is how much of a coaches job is taken up with making sure their minutes are managed and the balance of the team.

When De zerbi said he wanted additional players, he didn't mean players at the beginning of their career with no experience of Premier League/European football.

The club didn't buy Barco because he was the perfect player for the present need.

On the other hand Palace brought in 2 players to fix the gaps in their squad and finished the season strongly.

I think the club's cautious approach, has it's flaws.
And on this occasion it has cost us:
  • £3m Prem Prize money
  • £9m (reportedly) RDZ release clause
  • £TBCm on compensation to St Pauli
  • Momentum in the league
  • Opportunity to progress in Europe
  • Opportunity to progress in FA Cup

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Whichever way you look at it RDZ didn't want to be here any more, I think regardless of whether Bloom was prepared to give him a blank cheque for signings he was clearly making it known he was looking for a bigger club with his behaviour and actions post Xmas onwards. As far as I'm concerned we are well shot of him. He presided over a very short period of time of really good football but most of the credit for that ought to be with the players and considering we had assembled the most expensive and skilful squad in the club's history, lauding him as the best manager we've ever had is a bit too much in my opinion. He was good but not that good.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

No - I think that’s just trying to change the narrative a bit too much….

Barco looked/looks very lightweight on first impression, I would have thought he needed building up as well, if you recall it took a few games to play him (like it did Enciso) who was also very light when he first arrived.

Whether that would/could be done on loan or at the club are both possible. I don’t think a ‘strop’ comes into it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The issue with having young players isn't that they can throw in a few impressive performances at the end of a season.
It is how much of a coaches job is taken up with making sure their minutes are managed and the balance of the team.

When De zerbi said he wanted additional players, he didn't mean players at the beginning of their career with no experience of Premier League/European football.

The club didn't buy Barco because he was the perfect player for the present need.

On the other hand Palace brought in 2 players to fix the gaps in their squad and finished the season strongly.

• £3m Prem Prize money
  • Momentum in the league
Another way of looking at that is it’s cost us maybe £15m and one slightly disappointing half-season, instead of spunking maybe 60-80m on players that don’t necessarily fit our model, don’t work out and were almost certainly going to be overpriced anyway.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
@GT49er is making the point that RDZ wanted to break the business model to sign players, considering our record signing was Pedro that allows for a reasonable assumption that the players RDZ wanted were at least in the 40 to 50m range, especially as he had just had two of his most critical players go for 140m+. Why do people on this forum make it so bloody hard by trying to score minuscule points by picking apart slight errors in others' posts. Surely you got the basic context of what @GT49er was saying
I don’t agree when you look at last summers targets it would seem the club was prepared to go over the £30m mark.
Kudus, Palmer, Colwill none of those are arriving for £30m or under. Wages probably hinder those types of deals but let’s not pretend the club weren’t prepared to spend.
Kudus was reportedly almost done then his agent pushed for a release clause which for a record signing wouldn’t have been a smart move ie Macalister.
RDZ isn’t the type of guy to just mosey along he’s ambitious simply a clash of moving at different paces.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Another way of looking at that is it’s cost us maybe £15m and one slightly disappointing half-season, instead of spunking maybe 60-80m on players that don’t necessarily fit our model, don’t work out and were almost certainly going to be overpriced anyway.
It’s all a gamble if we had gone the £45m on Palmer we would be looking at £120m minimum resale. One of the top targets last summer according to RDZ.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

• £3m Prem Prize money
  • Momentum in the league
This. RDZ's 'crime' was to push the club to maintain momentum in January. The club pushed back. Only human for RDZ to become deflated at that point

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here