Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi was NOT “sacked”

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This. RDZ's 'crime' was to push the club to maintain momentum in January. The club pushed back. Only human for RDZ to become deflated at that point
Making £100m on player trading is like hitting the champions league for TB &PB not so enjoyable for the supporters struggling to pay for their ST’s. I think RDZ looks at football this way through the eyes of a normal supporter.
Potty looked upon fans with distain that was obvious.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
@GT49er is making the point that RDZ wanted to break the business model to sign players, considering our record signing was Pedro that allows for a reasonable assumption that the players RDZ wanted were at least in the 40 to 50m range, especially as he had just had two of his most critical players go for 140m+. Why do people on this forum make it so bloody hard by trying to score minuscule points by picking apart slight errors in others' posts. Surely you got the basic context of what @GT49er was saying
I don't think TB is reluctant to spend the money on transfers. I think he won't break the wage structure. Busting that open could be catastrophic in terms of players demanding salary corrections aligned to the new precedents.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Making £100m on player trading is like hitting the champions league for TB &PB not so enjoyable for the supporters struggling to pay for their ST’s. I think RDZ looks at football this way through the eyes of a normal supporter.
You really do have a strange view of the club and the leadership. TB has invested nearly half a billion of his own money and is a super fan by any definition. He's not squirreling away the £100m for personal gain. He sees that as confirmation that his strategy works. The money is available, but spending beyond our means is not.

Not spunking hundreds of thousands a week on a player's wages is prudent, not designed to punish those poor (oft mentioned) ST holders who can barely afford to feed their kids.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think you have made three rather sweeping and partial generalizations here. Owners bad, Potter bad, RDZ good. Whatever happened to nuance? :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Are you reconsidering what you said in post 184? :wink:
No.

It's nuance, you see. And whereas I tend to lose my tiny mind late at night, maybe @Justice loses his first thing in the morning.

Nothing a nice cup of tea cannot fix :wink:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Another way of looking at that is it’s cost us maybe £15m and one slightly disappointing half-season, instead of spunking maybe 60-80m on players that don’t necessarily fit our model, don’t work out and were almost certainly going to be overpriced anyway.
Yeah sure.
The cautious approach has it's flaws though.

You frame your argument that the club would have "spunked" 60-80m on players.
Why is the club's algorithm so poor at identifying established players with value?
Is it because it is focussed more on value, than player attributes and the needs of the first team.

The argument that January window is overpriced is overplayed.
Particularly now with PSR impacting so many teams.

There was value in the January Window, as Palace proved.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The issue with having young players isn't that they can throw in a few impressive performances at the end of a season.
It is how much of a coaches job is taken up with making sure their minutes are managed and the balance of the team.

When De zerbi said he wanted additional players, he didn't mean players at the beginning of their career with no experience of Premier League/European football.

The club didn't buy Barco because he was the perfect player for the present need.

On the other hand Palace brought in 2 players to fix the gaps in their squad and finished the season strongly.

I think the club's cautious approach, has it's flaws.
And on this occasion it has cost us:
  • £3m Prem Prize money
  • £9m (reportedly) RDZ release clause
  • £TBCm on compensation to St Pauli
  • Momentum in the league
  • Opportunity to progress in Europe
  • Opportunity to progress in FA Cup
Worth every penny to be shot of the over rated Mardy from Lombardy and to now have an exciting, ambitious young manager who understands the model, wants to kick on and most importantly, wants to be here.

It’s no coincidence that the longer RDZ was our head coach and the further we got away from Potter’s work, the worse we got.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think you have made three rather sweeping and partial generalizations here. Owners bad, Potter bad, RDZ good. Whatever happened to nuance? :shrug:
Nuance?!

We'll have none of that French nonsense in 'ere.

Nice little etymology joke to kick off my Friday NSC posting.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Worth every penny to be shot of the over rated Mardy from Lombardy and to now have an exciting, ambitious young manager who understands the model, wants to kick on and most inportantly, wants to be here.

It’s no coincidence that the longer RDZ was our head coach and the further we got away from Potter’s work, the worse we got.
Wow..

that's some huge assumptions you're jumping too.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I’m not sure we need to be all anti Roberto… he had his faults, like we all do and he made some misjudgments, but I genuinely think he had what he felt was a shared rapport with the fans… I don’t believe this to have been disingenuous…

I wish him well, I do believe he’ll be remembered as one of our greatest ever… in spite of his obvious impasse with TB et al… his story certainly didn’t end in a calamitous Gus style implosion, indeed Roberto: yours is no disgrace.

Peace be the journey.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He was great for us, probably right that he left though, and my guess is it was more that the club couldn't promise they wouldn't sell certain players, more than what players they would bring in. Having worked with players to get past the lobbing bottles around stage, to where they understand what he wants from them, to then have them leave and have to start again with a new face would piss me off. His demands do seem to have improved most of the players, but for a couple, it broke them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here