Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Day 3 - Fri 4th Feb - SMOKE AND MIRRORS...

perseus said:
Has anybody got the list of participants at the Public Inquiry please?
This was the version of the Programme that was circulated on Friday (prompting Mr White to play the "immovable professional obligation" gambit and wreck it):-

2/3/4 Feb Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club
8/9/10 Feb Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club
11 Feb Lord Bracknell, Colin Child (anti-Falmer), Mr Woodruff (Architect for Lewes DC, currently in discussion with Martin Perry about the extent to which his evidence agrees with that put forward already by MP)
15 Feb Friends of Stanmer Park, Mr J Powell (Sheepcote Valley), Shoreham Port Authority
16 Feb Falmer Parish Council, Rottingdean Parish Council
17 Feb Friends of Waterhall, Friends of Whitehawk Hill, Society of Sussex Downsmen
18 Feb Regency Society of Brighton & Hove
22/23 Feb Brighton & Hove City Council
24/25 Feb Lewes District Council
1/2 Mar Representatives of the owners of Toads Hole Valley
3 Mar Campaign for the Protection of Rural England (Brighton & Hove Branch), Friends of Sheepcote Valley, Sussex Downs Conservation Board
4 March Mr R Scott
8 March Closing Submissions - Lewes District Council, Brighton & Hove City Council
9 March - Closing Submission - Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club

Delays can occur on a day to day basis, if cross-examination of witnesses takes longer than anticipated. All interested parties are able to cross-examine any witness (although there is a convention that no party cross-examines a witness who is fundamentally on the same side of the argument).

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lord Bracknell said:
When the resumed Inquiry was first announced, a start date in early January was suggested.

Lewes DC let it be known that one of their key witnesses wouldn't be available then (the "ski-ing holiday" gambit).

The Club then said that they could be ready by early December. Lewes DC said they couldn't meet that deadline (the "we're a very busy council" gambit).

So a start date at the beginning of February was set. Falmer Parish Council then said they had two new sites they'd like the Inquiry to look at (the "cement works" gambit, rarely seen these days, ever since the mafia scaled down their involvement in the construction industry).

To allow for this, extra days had to be added to the Inquiry programme and an end date of Friday 11 March was set.

Then Brighton & Hove City Council let it be known that the Town Hall Council Chamber wouldn't be available on Thursday 10 March, because an important council meeting had been booked (the "Lewes aren't the only busy council" gambit, or "own goal" gambit, depending on your point of view).

Then the Inspector asked everyone to bend over backwards to achieve an early finish (the much admired "be reasonable" gambit).

Everyone suddenly turned reasonable and a new end date of Wednesday 9 March looked achievable.

Only for Lewes DC to play the "immovable professional obligation" gambit that will now delay the closing submissions until the week beginning 11 April.

The reason for the five week delay is the non-availability of almost everyone during those five weeks - including the Inspector. This was known right from the start. Whether it played any part in the thinking of Lewes DC is a matter that some people might like to speculate about. I couldn't possibly comment, apart from making the observation that senior Lewes Lib Dem councillors (and Norman Baker) have consistently BLAMED JOHN PRESCOTT.

???
This chain of events is absolutely scandalous. LDC should be utterly ashamed of how they have conducted themselves throughout this entire shambolic saga.

Would any of those cocksuckers raise their heads above the parapets and answer an OPEN LETTER in the Argus, outlining the above and asking for their views / comments ? If the Argus would publish an open letter to them, highlighting this shameful timetable of delays on their part, I'd be fascinated to see if it could provoke a response.

The Large One said:
Hang on. Are you saying that the Inspector is ALLOWING this delay, or is this something we are going to find out one and for all tomorrow?
The Inspector has no real choice. The regulations that govern Planning Inquiries require provision to be made for the representatives of the Local Planning Authorities and the Applicant to make Closing Submissions once all the evidence has been presented.

The arguments put forward in those Closing Submissions must be addressed in the Inspector's final Report.

The Large One said:
Can the timetable be re-written for the Inquiry to finish on March 4?
That's looking very, very unlikely.

Particularly since the programme can easily slip if certain parties were to take a long time to cross-examine witnesses. We've already seen Mr White ask for three hours to question the Albion's transport expert (who had hoped to be able to finish on Friday, but who now has to be back tomorrow). And Charlie Hopkins, the Falmer brief hasn't even started yet.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Can anyone who goes to teh Inquiry this week please ask that Megan bird if she wants to go out with me at some point. Maccy D's, KFC? Tell her it's her choice.

Cheers.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Weeellll. f*** it, let them delay, they're going to lose anyway. It's just going to cost Lewes District Council £155,000 to realise this.

It's taken this long, I am just as happy to get a YES in July this year as a YES in June this year.

The Large One said:
Better still, can they do their 'closing submissions' in another room either at Brighton Town Hall, or Hove Town Hall, or my front room OR f***ing ANYHWERE on March 10 & 11?
That's a better suggestion.

No doubt someone is considering this. But there is a ton and a half of paperwork that would need to be moved around. And it would have to be a big front room to fit all the spectators in.

Personally, I think season ticket holders should get priority. But not everyone will agree.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sorry Chappers, the lady is with me.
I'm taking her to Cheeky Chicken tomorrow night. Once she is dizzy from the heady delights of a filletburger with mayonnaise (no salad), we shall be embarking on some sweaty fumblings behind the wheelie bins in Little Preston St.

I'll pass on your regards.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Lord Bracknell said:
That's a better suggestion.

No doubt someone is considering this. But there is a ton and a half of paperwork that would need to be moved around. And it would have to be a big front room to fit all the spectators in.

Personally, I think season ticket holders should get priority. But not everyone will agree.

The new Library opens in Brighton this week... Just a thought.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Thanks for the timetable Lord Bracknell.

Is there a list of actual "expert" witnesses available as well please?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Sorry Chappers, the lady is with me.
I'm taking her to Cheeky Chicken tomorrow night. Once she is dizzy from the heady delights of a filletburger with mayonnaise (no salad), we shall be embarking on some sweaty fumblings behind the wheelie bins in Little Preston St.

I'll pass on your regards.

not after she sees me tomorrow she wont, it'll be straight down to SubWay for a FOOTLONG MEATball and she'll LOVE it!

ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Can anyone who goes to teh Inquiry this week please ask that Megan bird if she wants to go out with me at some point. Maccy D's, KFC? Tell her it's her choice.

Cheers.
That is the ONLY evidence I intend presenting to the Inquiry when I get my thirty minutes on Friday.

However ... I can't be held responsible if Lewes DC question the basis of your sequential site analysis.

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
sydney said:
this has got to be slipper hugging beuraucracy at it's absolutely gut wrenching worst:censored:

We can't ever forget what these beuracratic wankers have done to our club. We will get Falmer, but instead of having to do things by the book they are fighting dirty. Complete timewasting tossers.

Oh and Easy 10, write that letter and I'll write a riduclous responce pretending to argue with you. That would be funny.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Can't they just move it to Hove Town Hall that has all the facilities they need for these two days? And why can't the inspector force Mr White to actually say what this other more important matter is rather than allow it to be one big secret. If it is a piss poor excuse then the inspector should force LDC to continue without him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here