Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dave Edmunds & Nick Lowe.

Bigsby1962

Dec 28, 2011
Saw Elvis Costello at the Albert Hall many many years ago. We had that big dilemma......do we watch the support act or get more beers in ?. We asked one of the stewards who the support act was and he said "some old boy with a guitar". Fortunately , we decided to have a look. It turned out to be Nick Lowe who was brilliant. He introduced "Cruel to be kind" with a great quote - "I`m now going to play a medley of my hit ".
The evening just carried on getting better later on when Glenn Tilbrook and Chris Difford joined EC on stage. Happy days.

I was at that gig too - great night. Highlight for me was Costello, Lowe, Difford, Tilbrook doing a cover of Pretty Flamingo. Also saw EC doing his Spinning Songbook at the Albert Hall, which he's reprising again this year. I was lucky enough to catch it last May in Las Vegas and it was one of the best Costello gigs I've seen.

Micky Jupp is, I believe, one of those forgotten English rock'n'roll figures - I think he wrote quite a few tracks for Dr Feelgood?

One of my favourite tracks is his "Standing at the Crossroads.." (covered by Dave Edmunds) which also has one of my favourite lines from a song, "..you're not the one I was looking for, you're just the one I found..." or something like it. This post is being written with the assistance of Harvey's Old so I could be wrong/

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Micky Jupp is, I believe, one of those forgotten English rock'n'roll figures - I think he wrote quite a few tracks for Dr Feelgood?

One of my favourite tracks is his "Standing at the Crossroads.." (covered by Dave Edmunds) which also has one of my favourite lines from a song, "..you're not the one I was looking for, you're just the one I found..." or something like it. This post is being written with the assistance of Harvey's Old so I could be wrong/

He's a brilliant songwriter. Tha Hamsters have recorded several of his songs including Taxi Driver, Blues For The Blues & Switchboard Susan. His lyrics are very funny & very clever. One of my favourite lines is from Switchboard Susan
"...when I'm with you I get an extension, & I don't mean Alexander Graham Bell's invention..".

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
My good mate Gareth, who I would call a semi pro musician has always said that Nick Lowe is a one off, and that 'Cruel to be kind' is the best' pop tune 'ever'

I'm actually divided between that and John Peel's fav of The Undertones 'Teenage Kicks'.

Either way, Cracking cchhoooonnssss.

I thought he wrote Cruel to be Kind. Was it performed by BA Robertson or did I just imagine that

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
I thought he wrote Cruel to be Kind. Was it performed by BA Robertson or did I just imagine that

Sorry got this song confused with Bang Bang The Mighty Fall. Sure they must have been in the charts at the same time

Sep 20, 2005
I hope I'm not out of order in recalling my Nick Lowe story. EC's manager invited me to guest with EC at the Nashville Rooms at about the time that My Aim Is True was released. I turned up with my sax and the queue to get in wound round the corner. The security wouldn't let me in so I went in the pub where I found Nick at the bar, he couldn't get in either and he had produced the album, so we stayed in the bar. True story.

Ha, great! I saw Elvis at the Nashville a few times that summer (including one memorable night when he played four encores), and I might well have been standing near the front of that queue. I remember standing there once while a loud, rocking soundcheck was going on inside. Shortly after it stopped, the doors opened and a man walked out carrying a guitar under his arm and walked off to the tube station. It was Carl Perkins.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
HORNBLOWER
I was in the queue for THAT gig ie Elvis Costello at the Nashvile and impatient to get in around the corner entrance, I was annoyed that one person barged past me and headed straight for the entrance. An hour and a half later I recognised him - none other than Elvis Costello. Curiously, I bought a rare Elvis Costello CD for my bro this xmas and it was of that gig - the last before he set off on his nationwide tour. The Nashville at that time was a hive of pub rock bands and I was lucky enough to see Eddie and the Hot Rods and the Count Bishops. I saw Ducks Deluxe plus Chilli Wili and Red Hot Peppers before that. I even blagged my way back stage to speak the E+THR's.
Cheers

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
I also saw Dr Feelgood and the Kursaal Fliers plus Wiko Johnson in his own right - I guess I loved pub rock at the same time I was old enought to get served and react agaoinst the cr*p music that came out at the time ie funk.
God, I love pub rock - I have every Chilli Wiili and Ducks Deluxe track ever made !
Sad but true.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I also saw Dr Feelgood and the Kursaal Fliers plus Wiko Johnson in his own right - I guess I loved pub rock at the same time I was old enought to get served and react agaoinst the cr*p music that came out at the time ie funk.
God, I love pub rock - I have every Chilli Wiili and Ducks Deluxe track ever made !
Sad but true.

I've seen Wilko dozens of times over the years. He still puts on a great show - he blasted the Komedia to pieces in October.

I've seen Wilko dozens of times over the years. He still puts on a great show - he blasted the Komedia to pieces in October.

When I get my time machine I will set it for 1975 to see the original Feelgood lineup live - that would be some night out I suspect. Until then, "Oil City Confidential" - the movie bio of the band - will have to do. Haven't seen Wilko live for a good many years but he is an absolute one off.

HORNBLOWER
I was in the queue for THAT gig ie Elvis Costello at the Nashvile and impatient to get in around the corner entrance, I was annoyed that one person barged past me and headed straight for the entrance. An hour and a half later I recognised him - none other than Elvis Costello. Curiously, I bought a rare Elvis Costello CD for my bro this xmas and it was of that gig - the last before he set off on his nationwide tour. The Nashville at that time was a hive of pub rock bands and I was lucky enough to see Eddie and the Hot Rods and the Count Bishops. I saw Ducks Deluxe plus Chilli Wili and Red Hot Peppers before that. I even blagged my way back stage to speak the E+THR's.
Cheers

I too went to see Eddie and the Hot Rods at The Nashville. I'd headed first for The Marquee where The Sex Pistols were playing that night, and getting there early at 6.30 odd, there was already a tiresome queue going down the street and turning corners - so EaTHR looked a good option (instead of a band who were infamous for playing 15 minutes and then starting a punch-up so they could quit and go home early). Were they ever! A fantastic sweat-wringing night, celebrating a newly issued EP (96Tears/Get Out Of Denver/Satisfaction), and I remain super-happy I took that option!

When I get my time machine I will set it for 1975 to see the original Feelgood lineup live - that would be some night out I suspect. Until then, "Oil City Confidential" - the movie bio of the band - will have to do. Haven't seen Wilko live for a good many years but he is an absolute one off.

They were ast The Greyhouind in Richmond when I saw them, they hadn't released anything at the time, and that was another stellar night worth the trip. We could barely fit in the tine pub hall, and had to crane to glimpse the maniacal Wilko zipping about behind Lee Brilleaux. A storming gig though. I'd decided that those little barely known bands were just as worthwhile going to London to see, as were the Led Zeps and Pink Floyds at Earls Courts and Wembley Empire Pools!
No regrets there - time well spent, and negligible money to get in for those unknown bands.

About 2 weeks later they issued a single of Roxette, and not long after that, She Does It Right-. They already had a fan club thing, and somewhere in my stuff I have the badge and letter or sticker they sent me. Great band, must have seen them at least 6 times back then.

Last edited:

Sad but true.

Both those bands played The Top Rank, on the Tuesday night series they had there, 50pence every week.
I always watched the guitarists from those groups, and Martin Stone played for Chilli Willi!

Also, The Pirates were on one night too, with Mick Green :smokin:

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I too went to see Eddie and the Hot Rods at The Nashville. I'd headed first for The Marquee where The Sex Pistols were playing that night, and getting there early at 6.30 odd, there was already a tiresome queue going down the street and turning corners - so EaTHR looked a good option (instead of a band who were infamous for playing 15 minutes and then starting a punch-up so they could quit and go home early). Were they ever! A fantastic sweat-wringing night, celebrating a newly issued EP (96Tears/Get Out Of Denver/Satisfaction), and I remain super-happy I took that option!

Rocky Sharpe And The Razors played their last ever gig at The Nashville Rooms and we had 'I cried at Rocky Sharpe's last gig' tissues made up for the hordes of teenage girls that used to flock down from Hampstead in their American Grafiti outfits, what a night. Interestingly enough, and just to round off this trip down memory lane, I should point out that I work with the guy who played bass in Eddie And The Hot Rods, he also played bass for The Damned and UFO! I also work with the lead singer of The Vapours who wrote the much used 'Turning Japanese'.
I thank you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here