Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dave Edmunds & Nick Lowe.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Yet no one has ever replaced them. Like i say don't think either of them had a No 1 or even a top 5 (?) but there is something special about their taste,style,music. They fit the phrase 'Form is temporary CLASS is PERMANENT'

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Yet no one has ever replaced them. Like i say don't think either of them had a No 1 or even a top 5 (?) but there is something special about their taste,style,music. They fit the phrase 'Form is temporary CLASS is PERMANENT'
Dave Edmunds had a number 1 with I hear you knocking. Off the top of my head - Sabre Dance, Baby I love you, I knew the Bride, Girls talk, I love the sound of breaking glass, Queen of Hearts did ok? :rock: :albion2:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
These are QUALITY guys,just what the hell has happened ? Where ever you are Put on a Edmunds/Lowe number and the place/room etc is soon alive.

Oct 2, 2008
Saw Elvis Costello at the Albert Hall many many years ago. We had that big dilemma......do we watch the support act or get more beers in ?. We asked one of the stewards who the support act was and he said "some old boy with a guitar". Fortunately , we decided to have a look. It turned out to be Nick Lowe who was brilliant. He introduced "Cruel to be kind" with a great quote - "I`m now going to play a medley of my hit ".
The evening just carried on getting better later on when Glenn Tilbrook and Chris Difford joined EC on stage. Happy days.

If you like Nick Lowe check out Brinsley Schwarz, the early 1970's Pub Rock Band he was in (and also wrote a fair bit of their material). There is a great version of Surrender to the Rhythm live on the Whistle Test from 1973 up on You Tube complete with classic Whispering Bob introduction.... :guitar: :thumbsup:

You can go further back and listen to the 60's pop band Kippington Lodge - they had he song 'Rumours' from which The Rumour band-name originated.

Then of course there's Dave Edmunds band Love Sculpture - he was clearly a great guitar player from a young age.
Along with Richard Thompson, he is one of our greatest 'unsung' guitar geniuses.

Any plans to tour again ? If so it would be a free for all for tickets.

Nick Lowe is touring at the moment (or will be shortly). Suggest you listen to "Rockpile - Live at Montreux" from 1980 - it is on Spotify - for some serious rocking the like of which no one seems to do anymore.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I hope I'm not out of order in recalling my Nick Lowe story. EC's manager invited me to guest with EC at the Nashville Rooms at about the time that My Aim Is True was released. I turned up with my sax and the queue to get in wound round the corner. The security wouldn't let me in so I went in the pub where I found Nick at the bar, he couldn't get in either and he had produced the album, so we stayed in the bar. True story.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I hope I'm not out of order in recalling my Nick Lowe story. EC's manager invited me to guest with EC at the Nashville Rooms at about the time that My Aim Is True was released. I turned up with my sax and the queue to get in wound round the corner. The security wouldn't let me in so I went in the pub where I found Nick at the bar, he couldn't get in either and he had produced the album, so we stayed in the bar. True story.

That's class. Massive EC fan and going to see him again when he is over this year. One of my first gigs was EC and the Attractions at the Dome and my abiding memory of that gig is him doing a cover of Randy Crawford's (?) 'One Day I Will Fly Away'.

Also love Graham Parker. May have already been said but wasn't Brinsley Schwarz in the Rumour. Unfortunately both EC and GP now live on other side of the pond so appearances are rare. And non existent in case of GP.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
That's class. Massive EC fan and going to see him again when he is over this year. One of my first gigs was EC and the Attractions at the Dome and my abiding memory of that gig is him doing a cover of Randy Crawford's (?) 'One Day I Will Fly Away'.

Also love Graham Parker. May have already been said but wasn't Brinsley Schwarz in the Rumour. Unfortunately both EC and GP now live on other side of the pond so appearances are rare. And non existent in case of GP.

Do you also remember the Mickey Jupp Band? They were the original big noise from the scarf east.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here