Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Not from what I've heard from them., they seem to think he is one of the biggest mistakes in many years. They completely crushed him, making him remove all his social media stuff. In 9 of the 10 last seasons, the top scorer for Benfica scored 25+ goals. When they break their transfer record to sign a striker, they expect something completely different than 6 goals. He started ok, caught covid and never really returned to form.

These clubs are interested not because of him being "one of the more positive things", but because he is available and a noted talented, obviously on the radar for a long time. Benfica got £113m for Joao Felix, since the Portuguese big clubs got lots of money and its difficult to buy their players. They are not selling a successful record signing after just one season with "only" a £10-15m profit.

The reason he got a high value is definitely not because of his performances but because of his raw potential.

That said, you are right he is not coming to Brighton. We dont even know how close it was last summer.

Benfica have had a bad season, they’ve made mistakes but he’s not one of them. Have a look at his overall stats, they’re pretty good. He’s also got 9 assists in the league, he’s not just an out and out goalscorer and contributes elsewhere.

His drop off of form at the end of the season is more to do with the general malaise at Benfica. Finishing 9 points off Sporting is a bit of an embarassment for them. When he does move it will be to a top club for big money, he’s a quality player no doubt.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Benfica have had a bad season, they’ve made mistakes but he’s not one of them. Have a look at his overall stats, they’re pretty good. He’s also got 9 assists in the league, he’s not just an out and out goalscorer and contributes elsewhere.

His drop off of form at the end of the season is more to do with the general malaise at Benfica. Finishing 9 points off Sporting is a bit of an embarassment for them. When he does move it will be to a top club for big money, he’s a quality player no doubt.

Well, as I said... I dont think most Benfica supporters will agree with you, but some might. He is a very divisive character on their forum... they are pretty much having the same discussions about him as we have about Connolly / Maupay. Maybe not a "mistake" but to sign someone for a record fee to see him score just six goals and then end up on the bench was clearly not the intention.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I thought we’d already signed a striker from Benfica? It’s not like Nuno is finding it out easy in Portugal and wants a much tougher challenge??

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh man - I'm gonna do a wee-wee.

How exciting.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
According to reports in Portugal we've submitted an offer to Benfica which hasn't been rejected yet because they want to see if they get through the Champions League play offs which start next week.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Him, El-thingy and whomever I've forgotten must have seen our finishing last season and thought:-

'shite, I could be replacing Aguero this window just from the goals that went in off my arse'. :lol:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
According to reports in Portugal we've submitted an offer to Benfica which hasn't been rejected yet because they want to see if they get through the Champions League play offs which start next week.

That report says he is recovering from a knee op and unlikely to play again until late August / early September.

If true, would he even pass a medical?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That report says he is recovering from a knee op and unlikely to play again until late August / early September.

If true, would he even pass a medical?

Currently injured you say - this fella is catnip to the Albion.

If he's ever filled in at centre half the deal will be done.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We're not playing at Withdean now. If we want to compete, TB needs to get the cheque book out :D

Genuine question - has he ever put the cheque book away?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here