Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Nunez subbed after 64 mins. I was not impressed with what I saw. The bloke was strolling around, body language not brilliant. On that evidence against Prem opposition I don't feel so bad we missed out on him.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Nunez subbed after 64 mins. I was not impressed with what I saw. The bloke was strolling around, body language not brilliant. On that evidence against Prem opposition I don't feel so bad we missed out on him.

... as borne out by his rating of 5

Screenshot_2021-02-19-05-36-49.png

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Reckon we’ve dodged a bullet with this one. 4 goals in 18 in a far inferior league to ours. For the money we were offering he’d be getting slaughtered with that return imo.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Reckon we’ve dodged a bullet with this one. 4 goals in 18 in a far inferior league to ours. For the money we were offering he’d be getting slaughtered with that return imo.

Think your probably right and wrong.

I think regarding the fee involved we dodged a bullet...... however still only 21 and playing his first season at a top level European league.

From what I’ve seen he does have the attributes to be a top striker, but doesn’t seem to have quite hit the ground running at Benfica.

If the fee involved had been half of what he went for I’d still be thinking we missed out.... but your spot on that if we had paid over £20m for him which would have been a record signing for us we would have wanted more than 4 league goals. He has however scored 12 over the course of the season so far, I’m just not sure of the standard of the opposition for the other 8 ?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Strange that so many are ready to write this kid off. He is just 21 and still settling at a new club in a new country.

Alexis Mac Allister is a similar age and took a year to find his feet with us and I would expect Nunez to need the same.

I'm still gutted we didn't sign him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Strange that so many are ready to write this kid off. He is just 21 and still settling at a new club in a new country.

Alexis Mac Allister is a similar age and took a year to find his feet with us and I would expect Nunez to need the same.

I'm still gutted we didn't sign him.

You can't bust your transfer kitty to sign a striker who takes a year to start scoring goals. Waiting for Tammy Abraham cost Swansea their place in the Prem and Sheff Utd have made the same mistake with Brewster.

As more teams try and play out from the back you need forwards who will close down defenders and force them into errors, not just strikers who swan around waiting for the ball to be put on a plate for them.

You need goals and workrate at Prem level.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Well, that really shows what we are up against.
I'd probably rather spend some money on some pacy wingers than blaze nearly 50 million on a striker who has scored 4 goals and stick with Maupay. At least we know what we get with him.
Crazy scenes.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Well, that really shows what we are up against.
I'd probably rather spend some money on some pacy wingers than blaze nearly 50 million on a striker who has scored 4 goals and stick with Maupay. At least we know what we get with him.
Crazy scenes.

No no, we were in for him before he went to Benfica for around £20m (if I remember right)

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I expect a similar scenario to play out this summer. We identify a couple of young potential targets in the region of £15m-£20m and hope to bring one in sharing showreels of our fantastic build up play. They may choose to go elsewhere like Nunez did but no longer will we panic buy any random just to bring in someone

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I expect a similar scenario to play out this summer. We identify a couple of young potential targets in the region of £15m-£20m and hope to bring one in sharing showreels of our fantastic build up play. They may choose to go elsewhere like Nunez did but no longer will we panic buy any random just to bring in someone

Definitely. Whatever the case it’s a good sign that we identified a striker who’s now on the verge of a move to AC Milan.

So we are in the market for a particular type of striker. Hopefully we’ll get one.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Has had a very mediocre season for Benfica (6 goals in 25 appearances), which I’d imagine has been a bit of a disappointment given the fee and with them presumably paying him wages similar to what we were offering. I wonder if our recruitment team reckon Potter could get more out of him and will make enquiries?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Has had a very mediocre season for Benfica (6 goals in 25 appearances), which I’d imagine has been a bit of a disappointment given the fee and with them presumably paying him wages similar to what we were offering. I wonder if our recruitment team reckon Potter could get more out of him and will make enquiries?

Bearing in mind we’d be in competition to sign him with Man City, Liverpool, Barcelona etc, I think you can safely say that’s unlikely!

Benfica overall had a disappointing season but he was one of the more positive things.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Bearing in mind we’d be in competition to sign him with Man City, Liverpool, Barcelona etc, I think you can safely say that’s unlikely!

Benfica overall had a disappointing season but he was one of the more positive things.

Not from what I've heard from them., they seem to think he is one of the biggest mistakes in many years. They completely crushed him, making him remove all his social media stuff. In 9 of the 10 last seasons, the top scorer for Benfica scored 25+ goals. When they break their transfer record to sign a striker, they expect something completely different than 6 goals. He started ok, caught covid and never really returned to form.

These clubs are interested not because of him being "one of the more positive things", but because he is available and a noted talented, obviously on the radar for a long time. Benfica got £113m for Joao Felix, since the Portuguese big clubs got lots of money and its difficult to buy their players. They are not selling a successful record signing after just one season with "only" a £10-15m profit.

The reason he got a high value is definitely not because of his performances but because of his raw potential.

That said, you are right he is not coming to Brighton. We dont even know how close it was last summer.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I’ve not seen any Benfica games and am just going off his season record, but I’m sceptical that he’s been seen that positively seeing as he was being used from the bench for most of the second half of the season. I can’t see any of the big clubs being in for him yet; I expect any such talk is agent-fuelled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here