Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He’s not coming

But I’m enjoying the extended entertainment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aye........ should already be slip sliding through page 2 by now.

If only your Man in Lisbon could disguise himself as a man bun hair band. Did he fail medical due head lice?, does he use Wella Extra firm hold?, did El fat boy ask for an extra couple of big ones under the table.... we'll just never know now.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
https://maisfutebol.iol.pt/almeria/04-09-2020/benfica-o-atraso-de-darwin-nunez-e-o-esclarecimento-de-paulo-goncalves

Darwin Nuñez was not introduced by Benfica because he has not yet signed for Benfica.

However, there is a reason behind all this. And this has to do with the payment of interest and the solidarity mechanism. In the last few hours, there was also talk of Paulo Gonçalves' involvement in the business and he himself explains to Maisfutebol how it came about and in what quality it is involved in the process.

Let's do it by steps. Darwin Nuñez traveled from Almeria to Lisbon, spoke on arrival, and even in Spain he said he had a five-year contract. Between player and Benfica everything is settled, however, it is not with Almería.

That is what is behind the delay and that is also why Benfica has not yet communicated any agreement to the CMVM with the Spanish club.

Benfica wanted to start paying for the transfer in August 2021 and that's what they agreed to. Almería consented. However, the Spanish club wants to have the money now and intends to advance the money with a financial institution. In this sense, Benfica would have to pay the interest and, thus, a transfer of 23 million would cost more: this is a situation basically identical to that of João Félix. Afterwards, Benfica would have to pay the solidarity mechanism to the forward's training clubs.

This is an issue that is believed to be possible to be overcome and, therefore, it is believed that Benfica should introduce the player this Friday.

It is not, therefore, a matter of delay in the exams, nor a question of commissions the one that stopped the presentation. And here it is necessary to clarify the role of Paulo Gonçalves. The former legal director of the incarnated club is in this process representing the side of Darwin Nuñez, who has been known in Luz for some time.

To Maisfutebol , and placed before his role in the process, Paulo Gonçalves said: «I confirm that I introduced the player, with his manager, last season. I was informed, already this season, by Darwin's manager, that Benfica was interested in the player and that Benfica contacted Almería directly. I confirm that I represent the interests of the player and the businessman

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Reading that it sounds like Benfica was always a done deal and nobody else was in the race. To many vested interests in him going there.

Yeah it does . We’ve been used in this one .

Almeria have played a blinder to get maximum for this guy but reading that we never were in the running . Just used to get the price up .

Even after the deal is done it sounds like almeria are still trying to squeeze more with interest etc .

Bet TB is well chuffed , must be a nightmare dealing with all the politics and agents like this one

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Almeria have played a blinder to get maximum for this guy but reading that we never were in the running . Just used to get the price up .

Even after the deal is done it sounds like almeria are still trying to squeeze more with interest etc .

Bet TB is well chuffed , must be a nightmare dealing with all the politics and agents like this one

Yes, but what goes around, comes around.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I think it's something we just have to accept is going to happen. Bloom and Barber keep everything above board and we should be proud of that. However, that leaves us vulnerable to the dark arts from other clubs and agents.

Not the first time either - Grabban and Bournemouth, agent driven wage rise

Yeah that was similar. Played out in the press with all the leaks coming from the agent.

It's been said many times how nothing leaks from the club these days and signings usually just happen without us knowing e.g Veltman. There's definitely a relationship between column inches and the likelihood of a deal happening!

If we get wind of interest in a player before the medical then we should know it's unlikely to happen.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Who's going to sign his contract first? Nunez or Bielsa? Betbloom have still got Nunez at 3/1, but are no longer offering odds on Bielsa.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Can this guy make his mind up and sign for them? This pains me.

Go play in your farmers league. Enjoy the scenery. Whatever. Just go.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I thought this transfer was as *dead as a dodo* but still it lingers on.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I wonder if he would ever have fully committed to us, even if he had signed. I think he'd have been another Locadia, albeit more talented. Locadia spoke of hoping to move to Manchester United one day. Now he'd be lucky to get a club in the Championship. Nunez would always have been looking for his next move.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Also reported Spurs were sniffing around this guy.

Just saw an article saying Uruguay see him as the next Cavani. Shame we couldn’t pay what was required. We did pay £20m for a striker in the championship after all.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

Just saw an article saying Uruguay see him as the next Cavani. Shame we couldn’t pay what was required. We did pay £20m for a striker in the championship after all.

Seems to me we did pay what was required. So did Benfica. The player chose Benfica.

If we take off the rose tinted glasses, it’s hardly surprising that a South American, newly in Europe, would choose a big prestigious club like Benfica, ahead of one of the smaller lesser known clubs in the rainy, grey English Premier League. We don’t pay wages that are big enough to compensate for that.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11

What was his buyout clause? 30 million Euros? I suppose Benfica would have matched it if they'd known we were prepared to. We could have paid the buyout clause, but he still might not have wanted to come to us. Also, the thinking may be that Maupay had succeeded already in the Championship, which by all reports is a stronger league than the Spanish Second Division. Also, the bloke had only succeeded for one season. Not saying that I agree with this view, just trying to work out what the club's view might have been. I suppose we might have been in for Watkins if his wage demands weren't so large. Also, I don't know what Brentford are asking for him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seems to me we did pay what was required. So did Benfica. The player chose Benfica.

If we take off the rose tinted glasses, it’s hardly surprising that a South American, newly in Europe, would choose a big prestigious club like Benfica, ahead of one of the smaller lesser known clubs in the rainy, grey English Premier League. We don’t pay wages that are big enough to compensate for that.

Hard to believe for us Brits but wages aren’t everything when trying to entice a Latin player to the UK

https://www.football.london/west-ha...ews/what-happened-maxi-gomez-striker-18740697

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here