Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Apologies NSC, inside joke. Every time I see the word cretin written I hear it in the voice of Dom Kay. Wonder what that legend is up to these days

Same here! :lolol:

I use that word a lot thanks to him, I find it quite fitting for a lot of people!

I believe you can find him following Bristol Rovers and Bath City around the country whilst regularly quoting The Office and The Soprano's!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Apologies NSC, inside joke. Every time I see the word cretin written I hear it in the voice of Dom Kay. Wonder what that legend is up to these days

Same here! :lolol:

I use that word a lot thanks to him, I find it quite fitting for a lot of people!

I believe you can find him following Bristol Rovers and Bath City around the country whilst regularly quoting The Office and The Soprano's!

cretin
/ˈkrɛtɪn/
Learn to pronounce
noun
INFORMAL•OFFENSIVE
a stupid person (used as a general term of abuse).
DATED•MEDICINE
a person who is physically deformed and has learning difficulties because of congenital thyroid deficiency.

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
cretin
/ˈkrɛtɪn/
Learn to pronounce
noun
INFORMAL•OFFENSIVE
a stupid person (used as a general term of abuse).
DATED•MEDICINE
a person who is physically deformed and has learning difficulties because of congenital thyroid deficiency.

Thanks for the lesson. I can assure you we used the term in the modern sense rather than the outdated reference.

We chose to go to uni in Stoke on Trent so I'd say its a fairly accurate term for our life choices.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thanks for the lesson. I can assure you we used the term in the modern sense rather than the outdated reference.

We chose to go to uni in Stoke on Trent so I'd say its a fairly accurate term for our life choices.

Did you meet Nello? Marvellous.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If any of this is true (and hopefully it isn’t) reckon we would be out of the running. A Portuguese Benfica focussed article about them needing to up their offer (and saying player wants to go there) also says what it alleges other clubs have bid, and if true we’re a good bit below Leipzig.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ojogo.pt%2Ffutebol%2F1a-liga%2Fbenfica%2Fnoticias%2Fdarwin-nunez-obrigara-benfica-a-esforco-de-25-milhoes-12557308.html

With a termination clause set at 40 million euros and a price set at 30 million, the incarnates work to cut that amount, but they already know that they will have to open the purse strings more and the current perspective points to this happening soon.

The initial proposal of less than 20 million euros proved to be insufficient, with a new offer being made, substantially higher and which could beat the 22 million euros spent on the purchase of Raúl Jiménez from Atlético de Madrid in 2015. According to the latest information, the amount needed to give the green light to the business will be around 25 million euros, an amount that will exceed the 20 offered by Wolfsburg, the 23 with bonuses to add up to 30 data by Leipzig and the 18 with another seven bonuses offered by Brighton.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
If any of this is true (and hopefully it isn’t) reckon we would be out of the running. A Portuguese Benfica focussed article about them needing to up their offer (and saying player wants to go there) also says what it alleges other clubs have bid, and if true we’re a good bit below Leipzig.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ojogo.pt%2Ffutebol%2F1a-liga%2Fbenfica%2Fnoticias%2Fdarwin-nunez-obrigara-benfica-a-esforco-de-25-milhoes-12557308.html

With a termination clause set at 40 million euros and a price set at 30 million, the incarnates work to cut that amount, but they already know that they will have to open the purse strings more and the current perspective points to this happening soon.

The initial proposal of less than 20 million euros proved to be insufficient, with a new offer being made, substantially higher and which could beat the 22 million euros spent on the purchase of Raúl Jiménez from Atlético de Madrid in 2015. According to the latest information, the amount needed to give the green light to the business will be around 25 million euros, an amount that will exceed the 20 offered by Wolfsburg, the 23 with bonuses to add up to 30 data by Leipzig and the 18 with another seven bonuses offered by Brighton.

Looks like it will need to be bigger front end sum.....looks interesting as we are all around similar approach to the deal..

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton

I'm not getting my hopes up on this one. If he wants Benfica and CL clubs are sniffing round it's hard to imagine a scenario in which he ends up here. However, could all be nonsense and he might be in Lancing as we speak.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I'm not getting my hopes up on this one. If he wants Benfica and CL clubs are sniffing round it's hard to imagine a scenario in which he ends up here. However, could all be nonsense and he might be in Lancing as we speak.

Me too. It would be nice if he signed but the number of clubs now interested makes me think this target is one we're unlikely to get.

I'm sure the club are looking at a few others so not too worried if this one doesn't come off. Plus we still have 6 weeks of the transfer window remaining.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Me too. It would be nice if he signed but the number of clubs now interested makes me think this target is one we're unlikely to get.

I'm sure the club are looking at a few others so not too worried if this one doesn't come off. Plus we still have 6 weeks of the transfer window remaining.

Correction. We don't have six weeks of the transfer window remaining. We have six weeks until the transfer window SLAMS SHUT!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

If it is true, the only way we can still be in the game after offering the smallest amount is because the player is strongly interested in us. If he didn't want to come to us we could offer the largest amount and it still wouldn't matter.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Brian Owen reckons he will go to benfica. We don't really want to get in a ridiculous bidding war, think we should move on.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Brian Owen reckons he will go to benfica. We don't really want to get in a ridiculous bidding war, think we should move on.

Agree we don't want to get into a bidding war, but as said earlier there will be several other targets the club will be looking act and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we sign somebody few had considered. The Albion will keep their cards close to their chest as they usually do and hopefully we'll all be pleasantly surprised when another new face or two signs. Just don't get your hopes up for this one possible player.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Yeah I dont think he will be heading to Brighton. I suppose the club was among the first one out for him and perhaps didnt expect that there would be this level of competition to get him. Probably too expensive at this point.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
One of the local papers is reporting that we've dropped out as we weren't willing to go above 18 plus 7 in add-ons. Benfica said to be the favourites.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
We do seem to balk at competing, albeit in a grossly inflated market, for strikers....if we're serious about a top 10 goal then we're going to need to bite the bullet at some point.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
We do seem to balk at competing, albeit in a grossly inflated market, for strikers....if we're serious about a top 10 goal then we're going to need to bite the bullet at some point.

I think we did that with Maupay in fairness. Villa and Sheff Utd both tried to get him at the same time and others were interested but obviously we really wanted him and went all out to get him. I think we can all agree that that's worked out.

I have every faith we'll do it again for the right player and we'll get it right again.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We are never going to sign a striker who no one else wants or at least I hope we won't, those days ended in L2. We need to compete and sign the right player whether its this guy or another one as top 10 etc is not possible with the current strike force. We have to find more goals from somewhere...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here