Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My understanding, and I've not ploughed through this thread, was that we'd scouted him for quite a while and agreed a fee with Benfica, but once they finished 3rd and qualified for the CL, that shifted the narrative and we couldn't agree Terms with the player, being as (unsurprisingly) he fancied a crack at CL football rather than signing up for a relegation scrap in the PL. Can't blame him for that. As someone else mentioned, sometimes the stars need to align for a deal to go through, but with that extra season in Portugal he has obviously now become WAY beyond our means. Thats not a failure on BHA's part, its just how things panned out.

A pity, but we move on.

They finished third with a 12 point margin and haven't finished below 3rd place for 15 years, not really sure where this "shift of narrative" would have come from.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Bissouma I can live with when he moves on, Cucurella going this window harder to take than Biss leaving. Imagine we had signed this fella and he was the 15 goal a season striker we would all be proper gut wrenched this summer when he moved on.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Bissouma I can live with when he moves on, Cucurella going this window harder to take than Biss leaving. Imagine we had signed this fella and he was the 15 goal a season striker we would all be proper gut wrenched this summer when he moved on.

Agree with all you say. I feel similar about Biss and Cucu leaving. If, if, if we’d got Nunez, we’d be gutted but he’d have been sold for seriously silly money though.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Agree with all you say. I feel similar about Biss and Cucu leaving. If, if, if we’d got Nunez, we’d be gutted but he’d have been sold for seriously silly money though.
Others may think differently I want to see the best team possible out on the pitch, now we are establishing ourselves in the PL the players that aren’t good enough for the league stand out like a sore thumb. Transfer fees aren’t that exciting for us fans unless of course a decent chunk is invested back into ready to go quality players to replace the players that have left.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
We would all be gutted but I’d rather have had them than not at all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sam Dean of the Telegraph today wrote that Nunez and Benfica never had any intention of doing a deal with the Albion, or Newcastle or West Ham when they later jumped on the bandwagon.

E95A61B6-F670-4A46-ADC7-B6208F9D98D4.png

387C642E-42F0-48CF-903E-BAB57F6FDC4E.png

B839C5D9-ADD2-4521-9DC4-2CB52AA8C7D7.png

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nunez first season at Benfica was not that good.

6 goals in 29 games.

BUT credit to our recruitment team for trying to sign him when he was at Almeria

I wonder if we’d have got him and VVD if TB had pushed the boat out just a little bit further?

That is not a criticism, just an observation.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
BUT credit to our recruitment team for trying to sign him when he was at Almeria

I wonder if we’d have got him and VVD if TB had pushed the boat out just a little bit further?

That is not a criticism, just an observation.

Depends what you believe about the VVD transfer.

Was on offer if we wanted to pay £3m but one version has Bloom saying no as we had already had agreed a fee of £2.4m

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Minamino available for £17m in today’s market seems not too much of a gamble. PL experience.

Several clubs in for him.

According to 'This is Anfield' Wolves, Leeds, Southampton and Fulham are interested in him. Monaco too.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/...-in-on-17m-liverpool-exit-4-clubs-interested/

I'm not sure I'd want two Japanese players in our squad. The other day I was walking to the station minding my own business when four lads in their 20s walking the other way were openly staring in quite an aggressive manner(or so it seemed) at me. When they were about ten yards past they suddenly screamed out 'MITOMA!' in my direction. It took me a few seconds to realise I was wearing an Albion shirt , at which point I sheepishly turned round and gave them a thumbs up while carrying on on my way to the station.

If Minamino joins I don't want to be shouted at on the street every 5 minutes every time I wear a Brighton shirt. So for that purely selfish reason I'm out.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
According to 'This is Anfield' Wolves, Leeds, Southampton and Fulham are interested in him. Monaco too.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/...-in-on-17m-liverpool-exit-4-clubs-interested/

I'm not sure I'd want two Japanese players in our squad. The other day I was walking to the station minding my own business when four lads in their 20s walking the other way were openly staring in quite an aggressive manner(or so it seemed) at me. When they were about ten yards past they suddenly screamed out 'MITOMA!' in my direction. It took me a few seconds to realise I was wearing an Albion shirt , at which point I sheepishly turned round and gave them a thumbs up while carrying on on my way to the station.

If Minamino joins I don't want to be shouted at on the street every 5 minutes every time I wear a Brighton shirt. So for that purely selfish reason I'm out.

Those inscrutable Japanese eh? :lolol:

They already love the Amex because of THAT game against South Africa

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here