Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
“The Red Devils fear being priced out of a move for Darwin Nunez with Benfica having told United it will cost them about £100m to sign the 22-year-old Uruguay international. (Star)”

We’d have finished in the top 4 with him in our squad this season. The club did so amazingly well to scout him, they probably gave it everything to get his signature but not enough sadly.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
“The Red Devils fear being priced out of a move for Darwin Nunez with Benfica having told United it will cost them about £100m to sign the 22-year-old Uruguay international. (Star)”

We’d have finished in the top 4 with him in our squad this season. The club did so amazingly well to scout him, they probably gave it everything to get his signature but not enough sadly.

When Benfica could offer him CL football and a Portuguese-speaking squad, we were never really in with a chance. Some people still don't seem to acknowledge that...

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
When Benfica could offer him CL football and a Portuguese-speaking squad, we were never really in with a chance. Some people still don't seem to acknowledge that...

It seems as though everything with Nunez was just one year too early for us. If we'd been chasing him on the back of a season finishing 9th, we could have sold the move to him on the strength of the fact that he'd be the player to push us into challenging for a spot in a European competition and playing in the PL week in week out, which would have probably been a better option than Benfica. Unfortunately we were in for him after finishing 16th and not showing signs of being serious contenders to move up the table to anyone looking from the outside in and Champions League football would trump a PL relegation battle.

Now he's well out of our reach.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Yeah, at that point we had no chance. Maybe if we'd gone in a year earlier we would've got him, but then he wouldn't have got a year of 1st team football under his belt.

I think to do successful footy transfers sometimes you need the stars to align at the right time. In this case they didn't for us but they did for Benfica.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My guess is still that the club made an enquiry a couple of years ago when he was playing for Almeria and since then everything is just agent talk and made up rumours. Never even close, I would imagine.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
[tweet]1534445698057371649[/tweet]

[tweet]1534445379625926656[/tweet]

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Liverpool would be a great move for him and the club. Much better than United or Newcastle. Seem to be strange things going on with Salah and Mane at the moment and they're not getting any younger anyway so they need replacements and he would be perfect for them.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Nunez is obviously a fantastic talent with huge potential but It can’t help but feel Nunez, Díaz, Jota looks some way off peak Mane, Salah, Firminho. In a few seasons they could be absolutely mind blowing but it might take them a while to reach the heights Liverpool have come to expect.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
My guess is still that the club made an enquiry a couple of years ago when he was playing for Almeria and since then everything is just agent talk and made up rumours. Never even close, I would imagine.

He was at our training ground apparently, so it must have gone some way further than that!

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Liverpool would be a great move for him and the club. Much better than United or Newcastle. Seem to be strange things going on with Salah and Mane at the moment and they're not getting any younger anyway so they need replacements and he would be perfect for them.

But Man United and Newcastle can match or even exceed Liverpool in the wages department and can offer more guaranteed starts in the first team.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Origi, Minamino (Who is a snip at £17m) and Mane leaving. Salah playing silly buggars for a year….
He would have plenty of game time. Plus, LFC do not pay £85m for a player to sit in the bench. Saw him playing for benfica and I think he would be a great fit. Nunez, Dias, Jota, Firminho and Kaiden. Not too shabby

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Origi, Minamino (Who is a snip at £17m) and Mane leaving. Salah playing silly buggars for a year….
He would have plenty of game time. Plus, LFC do not pay £85m for a player to sit in the bench. Saw him playing for benfica and I think he would be a great fit. Nunez, Dias, Jota, Firminho and Kaiden. Not too shabby

Minamino should be our number 1 priority

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
According to a real source or the local icecream salesman or your "22-year-man-radar"?

Oh Good Lord above, not this again. You've broken me, I can't bring myself to respond properly.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My understanding, and I've not ploughed through this thread, was that we'd scouted him for quite a while and agreed a fee with Benfica, but once they finished 3rd and qualified for the CL, that shifted the narrative and we couldn't agree Terms with the player, being as (unsurprisingly) he fancied a crack at CL football rather than signing up for a relegation scrap in the PL. Can't blame him for that. As someone else mentioned, sometimes the stars need to align for a deal to go through, but with that extra season in Portugal he has obviously now become WAY beyond our means. Thats not a failure on BHA's part, its just how things panned out.

A pity, but we move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here