Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Providing Newcastle survive the drop this season, and l believe that they will, they will be a completely different proposition next time around, when they will have had two full transfer windows to buy new players and bed them in, plus with a new, and presumably proven, manager pulling the strings.

I could well understand the player choosing Newcastle over Brighton to be honest.

Well, that and there's no real limit on them offering him £200k or £300k p/w if he is the player they want to buy.

Unless anyone thinks they intend to comply with FFP .... which I don't

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
C9875566-C4A1-4AB9-B976-1737DBBF985F.png

226682C2-5123-4677-A53E-38C358F3AE0D.png

#keepthefaith
#holdthenerve

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Real shame we couldn't get the deal done first time round

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This is going to turn out to be one of those ones where we didn't stump up the little bit extra required and ended up losing out big time, isn't it?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This is going to turn out to be one of those ones where we didn't stump up the little bit extra required and ended up losing out big time, isn't it?

I wonder if it was ever as close as "the little extra bit". His agent appears to be a bit of a mind gamer and I would imagine most SA players would pick Benfica over Brighton.

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
Not sure that's fair really. We were competing with Benfica and Barcelona. Just let that sink in!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Probably the lure of a historic Portuguese club and European football over a relatively newly promoted team to be honest....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Probably the lure of a historic Portuguese club and European football over a relatively newly promoted team to be honest....

Of perennial bottom feeders.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Look on the bright side.

We lost out on the gold of Nunez, but we may have bought the goldmine (Caicedo) at a fraction of the price.

But at least our recruitment team first identified Nunez as a real talent.

Some you win, some you lose.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

No.

The money was there, I understand; the player just decided to go to a 'Big Name' club rather than Brighton (you know, the one playing Champions League football).

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

It shows the calibre of striker that we will compete for in the transfer market and explains why we have ended up short of numbers. There is no point in buying another striker of similar ability to Maupay, Wellbeck, Locadia or Connolly. What we need is an improvement and they are hard to find a triky to purchase. A top 10 finish will help in our appeal but when we compete with clubs who are playing in the Champions League regularly then we will struggle to finalise the deal unless we get lucky. What we need is someone to see us as a decent stepping stone and hopefully others will follow

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Darwin Nunez is an excellent player but to get him now would entail selling someone like Lamptey and probably breaking our wage structure to boot. That is not something the club have ever done, or something they are likely to do.

The club should continue to look for value where they can. Had it not been for Covid then maybe we could have thrown £30 mill at a player but that isn't going to happen now, especially after sustaining such big losses in 2019/20. I expect us to be operating at c. £15-£20million rising prospect status than a big fee for the finished article.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Darwin Nunez is an excellent player but to get him now would entail selling someone like Lamptey and probably breaking our wage structure to boot. That is not something the club have ever done, or something they are likely to do.

The club should continue to look for value where they can. Had it not been for Covid then maybe we could have thrown £30 mill at a player but that isn't going to happen now, especially after sustaining such big losses in 2019/20. I expect us to be operating at c. £15-£20million rising prospect status than a big fee for the finished article.

Darwin is now in the position where he could have a pick of clubs. I don't think it really matters how much we throw at it. The ship (possibly named the Beagle) has sailed. As you say, we're looking at prospects

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Darwin is now in the position where he could have a pick of clubs. I don't think it really matters how much we throw at it. The ship (possibly named the Beagle) has sailed. As you say, we're looking at prospects

Indeed. If it was ever about money, it isnt anymore. The ship sailed, the train left the station, the eagle did not land.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here