Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dangerous Dogs

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Bry Nylon said:
What a surprise.... (from BBC news online)...

"A two-year-old girl is undergoing surgery in hospital after she was attacked by a dog at a flat in Lancashire on Friday afternoon. The toddler suffered serious facial injuries when she was mauled by the Staffordshire bull terrier and has undergone surgery. The girl was with her mother visiting a family friend when the friend's dog turned on her, police said. The dog, which has no history of aggressive behaviour, is expected to be put down this weekend."

Same breed of fighting dog that went for me on Wednesday, and same excuse from its owners... "Oh, its never done that before...."

:nono:

Hmm, maybe it's you then, I reckon I might bite you.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I would tend to agree with you about dogs being less dangerous than people, as most dogs appear to be a reflection of their owners, perhaps that is where the problem lies...they are just mirroring the behaviour that they find around them.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Gully said:
I would tend to agree with you about dogs being less dangerous than people, as most dogs appear to be a reflection of their owners, perhaps that is where the problem lies...they are just mirroring the behaviour that they find around them.

One of those little ironies is that the owner of a dangerous dog will be held responsible for their pet if it injures somebody, rightfully so. However, why isn't the parent(s) of a child who hurts somebody or steals something or deliberately damages something also held responsible and made to pay compensation or in severe cases face a custodial sentence ?

Couldn't agree more that dog owners should take full responsibility for their pets but why aren't parents treated likewise ?

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
bhaexpress said:
I don't own a Staff but if I did I wouldn't bother with a muzzle any more than I would with most dogs. Staffs are not very often aggressive and its only sensationalist media reporting and ignorance that makes people believe that they are. Staff attacks are extremely rare as indeed are most dog attacks. Believe me dogs are far safer than people.

Either that is irony or you are a complete idiot, fighting breeds are by definition likely to be aggressive and should therefore be treated with some caution.

The media are not responsible for the deaths of children attacked by dogs. And if you can find any evidence of a child being mauled by a labrador or a springer spaniel then share it with us!!!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Gully said:
How often do we hear of a child being mauled by a golden retriever, labrador or spaniel...not very often. I am not convinced by the arguments of people like algie, defending dogs like Staffordshire/English/Pit Bull terriers, they have a vicious streak that is almost impossible to predict...sadly another young child has suffered to consequences.

It' just shows you know f*** all about dogs.How can you even add the English bull terrier to this debate.You really shouldn't get involved in arguements on subjects you know sod all about.Bit like the Albion as well in your case:drink:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Slowhand said:
Either that is irony or you are a complete idiot, fighting breeds are by definition likely to be aggressive and should therefore be treated with some caution.

The media are not responsible for the deaths of children attacked by dogs. And if you can find any evidence of a child being mauled by a labrador or a springer spaniel then share it with us!!!

Actually, the idiot is you I hate to tell you, you may have noticed that there are a few Staff owners on here who defend their animals. The Staff is the product of what was a fighting dog as you put it, so was the good old British Bulldog as was the Boxer, two other breeds who are not what you think.

It's pretty clear you don't know much about dogs but then I suspect you get most of your knowledge from the tabloids. Mind you maybe you need a muzzle, your propensity to attack (admittedly with a keyboard) does make you a bit of a worry.

Oh, I should point out something else, no matter how misguided it might be a dog will never attack something for pleasure, unlike people. Well, unless it's a Sun reader of course.

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
bhaexpress said:
Actually, the idiot is you I hate to tell you, you may have noticed that there are a few Staff owners on here who defend their animals. The Staff is the product of what was a fighting dog as you put it, so was the good old British Bulldog as was the Boxer, two other breeds who are not what you think.

It's pretty clear you don't know much about dogs but then I suspect you get most of your knowledge from the tabloids. Mind you maybe you need a muzzle, your propensity to attack (admittedly with a keyboard) does make you a bit of a worry.

Oh, I should point out something else, no matter how misguided it might be a dog will never attack something for pleasure, unlike people. Well, unless it's a Sun reader of course.

Mind you maybe you need a muzzle, your propensity to attack (admittedly with a keyboard) does make you a bit of a worry.

:lolol: :clap:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
algie said:
Mind you maybe you need a muzzle, your propensity to attack (admittedly with a keyboard) does make you a bit of a worry.

:lolol: :clap:

Seriously Algie, the two beats I look after are actually far more dangerous to other dogs than the average Staff, one is a full Alsation ad the other is an Alsation Border Collie cross. Alsations are well known for their aggression and a Border Collie can be a nasty piece of work too. Why ? Because they were bred originally as sheep dogs (the Alsation is also called The German Shepherd) and both dogs see other dogs as preditors who will eat their sheep. As is is the Alsation hates other dogs whereas the cross loves them but woe betide another dog that starts something.

All dogs have the ability to attack other creatures but the vast majority don't. Face it, a dog attacks a human and it's front page news. On the other hand Grandmothers who get mugged seldom rate a mention.

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
bhaexpress said:

You really are laughable.

(you may have noticed that there are a few Staff owners on here who defend their animals) That makes it all right then, on that basis Hitler was innocent and David Irving should not have been jailed.

(It's pretty clear you don't know much about dogs but then I suspect you get most of your knowledge from the tabloids.) Who do you think you are, Mystic Meg? You have no idea how much I know about dogs, nor what newspapers I read. I have an informed opinion which differs from yours, and I would suggest my opinion is supported by facts as opposed to speculation. (no matter how misguided it might be a dog will never attack something for pleasure) What are your sources for this 'fact'?

I do not have a propensity to attack, just a desire to comment on ill informed opinion and those who appear to be trying to deny self evident truths!

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
algie said:
It' just shows you know f*** all about dogs.How can you even add the English bull terrier to this debate.You really shouldn't get involved in arguements on subjects you know sod all about.Bit like the Albion as well in your case:drink:

What is your problem?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's the new Algie. :lolol:

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Can we have the old one back then?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Gully said:
Can we have the old one back then?

The old one was just as bad. He thinks it is hilarious to wind people up.
It's all a joke is his favourite phrase when you speak to him.

bhaexpress said:
I don't own a Staff but if I did I wouldn't bother with a muzzle any more than I would with most dogs. Staffs are not very often aggressive and its only sensationalist media reporting and ignorance that makes people believe that they are. Staff attacks are extremely rare as indeed are most dog attacks. Believe me dogs are far safer than people.

Ha, well I would say that most animals are 'safer than people', and people are a species that make almost everything including piranhas look mild-mannered.

Unfortunately, just as a people with a gun in its' pocket shooting something would be predictable, so would a 'staffy' with teeth in its' mandibles, to bite something eventually. Muzzle the lot of them, the only thing predictable about them is their unpredictability.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
My penny worth.

If its heads about half its body mass then its bread for biting, ditto if they lock. I dont care if they can be cute an cuddley, I'm cute and cudley but if I got a swastika tat on my forehead i would intimidate people,It makes an anti-social statement.

I wonder how many in this thread who blame the owners spin the arguement about when it comes to guns?

Dogs dont bite people dog owners bite people..what?

I'm pro-gun, have them at home to shoot burglars and jehovahs witnesses(and if your lucky the odd muslim), no problem. Same goes for these dogs as guard dogs.

I no more want to see bred biters on or more to the point of the lead than i want to see people hip holstering colt45's.

Maybe a comparison with dog bites and gun wounds is needed?

If one of them menaced me or my own I would kill it. Same goes for the other breeds as well.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I might have thought you would be into guns. All that cold rigid steel erotica...

Bringing guns into the debate...

Pit Bulls are lethal animals in the wrong hands, as are guns. Should we allow everyone to have a Pit Bull and a gun or license them and have strict controls... I know what I would choose.

Midikilledmydog

Aug 20, 2006
bhaexpress said:
Seriously Algie, the two beats I look after are actually far more dangerous to other dogs than the average Staff, one is a full Alsation ad the other is an Alsation Border Collie cross. Alsations are well known for their aggression and a Border Collie can be a nasty piece of work too. Why ? Because they were bred originally as sheep dogs (the Alsation is also called The German Shepherd) and both dogs see other dogs as preditors who will eat their sheep. As is is the Alsation hates other dogs whereas the cross loves them but woe betide another dog that starts something.

All dogs have the ability to attack other creatures but the vast majority don't. Face it, a dog attacks a human and it's front page news. On the other hand Grandmothers who get mugged seldom rate a mention.

Looney's been away and now he's back and he's completely barking mad. WTF

Its very sad that this little girl has been attacked and I'm sure we all wish her a quick and full recovery.
Here's my two penneth worth......
One thing that I noticed when reading the report was that she and her mother were visiting the owner in their first floor flat. I would suggest that a first floor flat is not the best place to house any dog. In fact you've got to be pretty stupid to do so.
When I get George from the RSPCA he had spent the first 14 months of his life living in a flat with no garden. He was rarely walked and as a consequence was as mad as a box of frogs. Within a couple of weeks, after regular long walks and runs and some strict training, he was a different dog, loads calmer and less anxious.
I do think that the media pick up on attacks by this type of dog and I would imagine that there are many other dog attacks that go unreported because the breed dont fit the stereotype that the media enjoy writting about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here