Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dangerous Dogs

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Staffs do look fierce. What about English Bull Terriers they scare the willies out of me.

Midikilledmydog

Aug 20, 2006
Collie crosses are fine, until husbands allow their children to wind them up , lie to their wives, who then shout their mouths off to pathetic provincial newspapers who print complete fabrications on slow news days

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
I was cycling 4 years ago when a Staff lauched out of it's owner's front garden and took a bite of my leg. Not sure what I did to antagonise it, I was just riding past. People should keep their gardens secure.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
ginadim said:
Not sure what I did to antagonise it, I was just riding past.

In my experince, that is usually enough.
Then seem be a particularly aggressive and territorial breed. The other problem is the fact that when they bite they tend to 'lock on.'

After today, if another Staff attacks me I would have zero hestitation in killing it, should I get the opportunity to do so.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Staffs and Pit Bulls are different animals, I have been around both and trust me a Pit Bull is bigger for a start. Staffs are brilliant with children as a rule but any dog needs to be watched around them.

The full alsation I look after is fine with people but hates other dogs. The collie alsation cross is another matter, she is a slut and loves everybody. She actually plays with the many foxes we get here.

Fact is all dogs are a bit of a risk and it's down to the owners to minimise that risk.

mona said:
They are fighting dogs and need to have firm owners who can control them. Sadly they sometimes have immature/irresponsible owners.

They are unpredictable. Somehow, they proliferate in this country. Pit Bulls are not allowed into Britain anymore, but 'Staffs' are everywhere - which I can't understand because they're the same dog aren't they?

They should ALL be muzzled, regardless of their supposed temperament, as they can suddenly decide they must kill something and there's no warning. It could be a small child that doesn't move as the dog likes, a drunk on the street who is just stumbling a bit, a person of colour, or another animal.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Dogs and i are not fantabulous buddies. I am scared of every single one of them, i think, convinced they have other things on their mind than burying bones and slobbering over old ladies' laps. A few months ago i was jogging up towards the Highgate Woods area when i decided to give dogs a break and not run in terror every other step. At that very thought, one f***ing hairy cocker came asprint at me, seeming to tell me in his gnarling teeth and 3ft tongue that i was wrong to think as i thought. His eyes seemed to be telling me he had an erection and could call one up at any moment no matter what i did.

If i was the maker of law, i'd bring about a simple weekly event in which all aggressive dogs were hung. Preferably by dead snakes, wrapped around thier neck but with a recently-swallowed ostrich egg in their 7m guts.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
NMH said:
They are unpredictable. Somehow, they proliferate in this country. Pit Bulls are not allowed into Britain anymore, but 'Staffs' are everywhere - which I can't understand because they're the same dog aren't they?

They should ALL be muzzled, regardless of their supposed temperament, as they can suddenly decide they must kill something and there's no warning. It could be a small child that doesn't move as the dog likes, a drunk on the street who is just stumbling a bit, a person of colour, or another animal.

Pits and Staffs are of the same forebears but not the same dog. Staffs are known for their docile temprement especially around children. A lot of the way they behave is dwn to have they are treated by their owners. As a matter of fact there was a report in London's Metro this morning of a child that was attacked by a Rhodesian Ridgeback. The Ridgeback was bred orginally to protect children from other animals and is supposed to be good with kids but not with other dogs. You can't tell.

As far as it goes though, these incidents are very much in the minority and do not apply to most dogs at all. If you want to ban or muzzle all dogs then what would you want to do with all children as a handful of them kill ?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
if a staff attacs , get its fron legs and pull wide apart and it will kill it,

all of these types of dogs should be muzzled and a licence should be required to own one

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Dougal said:
if a staff attacs , get its fron legs and pull wide apart and it will kill it,

all of these types of dogs should be muzzled and a licence should be required to own one

Like kids ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Any dog can be dangerous. They can turn at any point. To try and argue that Staffs are not one of the most volatile is frankly horse shit.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
My mate's staff was exactly the same. Around people it was really friendly and never so much as growled at anyone, but if another dog started sniffing round it, every now and again it would go mental. They had it put dow in the end after it took a bite out of a dog up the downs. They do make good pets, but like any other dog they need to be trained and looked after properly.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Billy the Fish said:
My mate's staff was exactly the same. Around people it was really friendly and never so much as growled at anyone, but if another dog started sniffing round it, every now and again it would go mental. They had it put dow in the end after it took a bite out of a dog up the downs. They do make good pets, but like any other dog they need to be trained and looked after properly.

That's often the case with those pit purpose bred dogs, even the pitbull itself generally.

They are good with people on the whole, but other animals they are dangerous with.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Billy the Fish said:

Precisely, in fact the Staff seems to have overtaken the Rottweiller as the Chav dog of choice, Chatham and Rochester is full of them. There's a leary couple who live near me who are well chaved up and they have two Staffs which they treat very badly. Mind you anybody who tries to give them advice gets a mouthful of abuse. I feel sorry for the dogs though.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Staffs are getting a particularly bad name right now and I can't say that I'm enamoured by any of the "Bully" breeds. However, the real problem comes from people who own dogs because of their accessory value. And this goes for far too many so called designer or must have breeds.

Admittedly, nobody has ever been mauled to death by some daft "teacup" sized dog bred to be conveniently carried around in a handbag but it's a cultural thing that carries through to the ownership of genuinely iffy dogs.

Luckily, out here in the wilds, we are mainly spared the sight of chavs attempting to demonstrate how vicious their dogs are because it's too much effort to drive out of town and exercise them somewhere there isn't a big enough audience to intimidate. However, I do meet some very nice dogs (often part Staffy) who were abandoned by their half-witted owners when the dog refused to be turned into a killing machine. And you have to wonder what goes through the head of anyone who thinks that this was any sort of reason to get a dog in the first place.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i own a staffy, ive owned staffys for most of my adult life. i am a responsible dog owner, being neither 'bonehead' or 'chav'.

all my dogs have been soft and friendly round people but have not tolerated other dogs.
when im walking mine he is never off the lead.
i've had all mine from a puppy and (as someone else posted) have made sure the dogs know their place and who's in charge.

having said that, i wouldn't under any circumstances take on an adult staffy because (again as someone else posted) the owners form the dogs personality during puppyhood and there are some irresponsible arseholes who do own dogs like staffs rotties etc just to enhance their macho image.

youre either a dog person or youre not, all my staffs have been an absolute joy and given me years of fun

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Guinness Dave said:
i own a staffy, ive owned staffys for most of my adult life. i am a responsible dog owner, being neither 'bonehead' or 'chav'.

all my dogs have been soft and friendly round people but have not tolerated other dogs.
when im walking mine he is never off the lead.
i've had all mine from a puppy and (as someone else posted) have made sure the dogs know their place and who's in charge.

having said that, i wouldn't under any circumstances take on an adult staffy because (again as someone else posted) the owners form the dogs personality during puppyhood and there are some irresponsible arseholes who do own dogs like staffs rotties etc just to enhance their macho image.

youre either a dog person or youre not, all my staffs have been an absolute joy and given me years of fun

They are an excellent breed of dog if brought up correctly.My sisters staff is never on a lead as it's soft as shit.You can even eat from her dog bowl with her and she wouldn't batter an eyelid.Next doors cat beats her up.She use to chase it and when the cat stopped the dog didn't know what to do next.The cat did mange one day to suprise her and really laid into my sisters poor staff and now she is carefull when she goes past that house.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
algie said:
You can even eat from her dog bowl with her and she wouldn't batter an eyelid.

Why the f*** would you do that in the first place?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here