Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
If I was him I would be concerned about my long term playing opportunities at Newcastle. He would do a (very good) job for them for the remainder of the season, but you cant help think that if they do stay up they'll be chucking money around like there's no tomorrow and upgrading the playing squad again, so all of a sudden he is back on the bench. Admittedly he may not start every game here when everyone is fit, but probably more likely to get game time than he will with a squad of galacticos recruited over the summer.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Keen to see what the bloodthirsty Saudis had to offer, BDB set off from Patcham on foot at 09:46hrs this morning armed with just a bar of Kendal mint cake and a small can of Diet Tizer. Arriving in Newcastle at 10:30hrs, he toured the facilities and discussed blood money before walking back south, arriving at Pease Pottage via a bridle path at 12:32.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Steve Howie on Sky transfer show saying £7 mill for Dan Burn is good business for all. What a ****

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
BDB is one of my candidates for player of the season. Not the biggest talent in the squad but I can't think of anyone who puts more effort in or has been so effective, in various areas of the pitch.

If GP phoned him up and asked him to fit his kitchen or lay a new driveway, I reckon he'd do it, and probably the same afternoon.

That would normally mean he will leave at the end of the season.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Like Darwin Nunez? !!

And Gonzalez actually. Bids were made because the club knew they wanted to leave and their clubs were open to selling. Both players would have been open to playing in the EPL, they club gave them both an EPL option and, I believe, had their bids accepted by the selling clubs. However, in both cases, the players took another choice, if there wasn’t better options on the table, Gonzalez and Nunez would be Albion players (and we’d be in the top 6 [emoji6]).

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
£7M is the figure being touted on SSN. Now, I don't agree with some that seem to think that every player we sell now should attract a higher price than Ben White - we're not in that European Super Group that swaps players around amongst themselves for £80M - £100M+, certainly not yet anyway! - but £7M is just ridiculous.
Even the rather vapid token female on SSN's 'Transfer Talk' programme thought £7M was 'a bit cheap'. Steve (ex-Newcastle) Howey thinks Burn at £7M would be a good deal - a good deal?!!! For Newcastle it would be Christmas and the next five birthdays coming early!
Double it, and it might be a starting point for negotiations.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Steve Howie on Sky transfer show saying £7 mill for Dan Burn is good business for all. What a ****

For all at Newcastle for sure...... That would be a shocking bit of business for us, and with Bloom at the helm, i feel pretty confident Howey is talking out of his arse with wishful thinking

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
£7M is the figure being touted on SSN. Now, I don't agree with some that seem to think that every player we sell now should attract a higher price than Ben White - we're not in that European Super Group that swaps players around amongst themselves for £80M - £100M+, certainly not yet anyway! - but £7M is just ridiculius.
Even the rather vapid token female on SSN's 'Transfer Talk' programme thought £7M was 'a bit cheap'. Steve (ex-Newcastle) Howey thinks Burn at £7M would be a good deal - a good deal?!!! For Newcastle it would be Christmas and the next five birthdays coming early!
Double it, and it might be a starting point for negotiations.

Howey must be hooked on opioids. I can't imagine the lizard letting him go for less than 15 mill and I reckon 20 mill is more likely.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If your Dan Burn, you have to ask yourself
1: if I join Newcastle and keep them up, will I be upgraded on in the summer, probably yes -
He strikes me as a player who is not content sitting on the bench, and would at least like the opportunity to be in the first team at least a contender, which he is here -- sensible conclusion = stay

2: if I join Newcastle and they go down, do I want to be playing in the Championship and upgraded on, next season -- sensible conclusion = stay

Either way around, he knows it will be short term, it all depends on his desire to move back north and play for Newcastle the team he was a youth player at. also factor in the possible wage increase and signing on fee, probably last big transfer.
I can see him wanting to go, to be honest.

That said 15million and a non relegation bonus for us if they stay up is about right.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Assuming BDB wants to go, I would like to propose:

- £18.75m transfer fee (£15m for us, £3.75m for the sell on fee)
- Additional £5m if they stay up
- £5m buy back clause (for when they buy the players they really want in the summer)
- First refusal on other players they are throwing away

Edit:
- £25 M&S gift card for all Brighton season ticket holders

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
BDB is a player that has been 2 or 3 seasons in the making and is now at the level that GP knew he would get to and some of us, me included, couldn't see happening. The club should be adequately compensated for his development into the player he now is.
I agree that he will probably be playing less than half a season at Newcastle before he may be surplus to requirements or bench warming.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Relegation

Depends where the players mind is. At 29 years old, say a 4 year contract at £65k a week is worth £13.5m, some might say they'd take that?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
If your Dan Burn, you have to ask yourself
1: if I join Newcastle and keep them up, will I be upgraded on in the summer, probably yes -
He strikes me as a player who is not content sitting on the bench, and would at least like the opportunity to be in the first team at least a contender, which he is here -- sensible conclusion = stay

2: if I join Newcastle and they go down, do I want to be playing in the Championship and upgraded on, next season -- sensible conclusion = stay

Either way around, he knows it will be short term, it all depends on his desire to move back north and play for Newcastle the team he was a youth player at. also factor in the possible wage increase and signing on fee, probably last big transfer.
I can see him wanting to go, to be honest.

That said 15million and a non relegation bonus for us if they stay up is about right.

Don't disagree, but don't underestimate the power of money. If they gave him say a 3 year deal on double what he's on with us, many a player would be tempted especially as this could be his last big contract.

I'm not calling him mercenary, but money sadly talks in many cases.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
BDB is a player that has been 2 or 3 seasons in the making and is now at the level that GP knew he would get to and some of us, me included, couldn't see happening. The club should be adequately compensated for his development into the player he now is.
I agree that he will probably be playing less than half a season at Newcastle before he may be surplus to requirements or bench warming.

Depends if they stay up or not surely?

If they get relegated I reckon he'd be playing every week which is prob more than he would with us. Decent atmosphere at St James's too.

Can see the attraction for him to go....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here