Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
In my book BDB is more versatile and valuable than Duffy, probably more valuable than Veltman and equally as valuable as Dunk (although I think BDB is more progressive than Dunk).
Webster is our most valuable central defender.

But we do have the like of van Hecke, Turns, Roberts and Ostigaard in the waiting room behind our regulars.

Therefore if we can get £15m for BDB I can understand why we could accept it, but I'd be sad to see him go.

And for any NUFC fans reading this, you'd be getting a very solid and under-rated defender who will run through walls for you.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It is remarkable how Newcastle are rolling around with 5 days left low balling clubs for proven PL players. I don't agree they should be ripped off - but in their situation £15M for a proven, ready made CB shouldn't even be a second consideration for them. There is some suggestion that for the first year or 2 that there is a 80/10/10 rule with PIF, Reubens & Stavely. That in terms of investment and transfers 80% is funded by PIF with the remaining 10% by Stavely & Reubens - and perhaps she is the limiting factor. And lack of experience with CEO, Directors of Football or whatever - who is negotiating these deals for them?

There is some sense though. If their preferred target is only available at 20m, and they'd rather spend 10 for a CB, then they going to look around to see who else might be available for 10. If they ultimately decide to spend 20 then they'll spend it on their preferred target, not on Burn.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
A much bigger problem in all of this is that Newcastle are destabilising clubs and players alike with their approaches. No wonder Lingard is pi$$ed off - what incentive is there for Man Utd to sell him to another club for (say) £5m if they can get £15m from Newcastle? Newcastle's position basically ruins it for everyone else, including Lingard. Similarly, no doubt, for Dele...Spurs would be mad to listen to any offer for him whilst there's still a chance Newcastle are in the hunt. At the moment it look like a big part of the transfer market is "stuck" whilst everyone waits for Newcastle to panic.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It is remarkable how Newcastle are rolling around with 5 days left low balling clubs for proven PL players. I don't agree they should be ripped off - but in their situation £15M for a proven, ready made CB shouldn't even be a second consideration for them. There is some suggestion that for the first year or 2 that there is a 80/10/10 rule with PIF, Reubens & Stavely. That in terms of investment and transfers 80% is funded by PIF with the remaining 10% by Stavely & Reubens - and perhaps she is the limiting factor. And lack of experience with CEO, Directors of Football or whatever - who is negotiating these deals for them?

That was one of the questions they were asking......apparently the guy that was doing it left, so they appear directionless with no-one who knows what they are doing. I personally reckon Smug Eddie is throwing all manner of names out and telling them to go and see if they're available. Their absolute desperation over the next few days is going to be quite amusing to witness I think - can see some ridiculous sums being paid. PIF won't take kindly to any failure to get the right players in either :lolol:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
There is some sense though. If their preferred target is only available at 20m, and they'd rather spend 10 for a CB, then they going to look around to see who else might be available for 10. If they ultimately decide to spend 20 then they'll spend it on their preferred target, not on Burn.

The other element in all this is, and whilst accepting it must be hard financially post covid for TB etc, if we do really want to be a top ten club and stay as one, we can't be selling our first team players unless Potter no longer wants them or sanctions it.

We need to be improving on what we have, not hollowing it out for cash and there's nobody outside the first team squad who is better or more versatile than BDB, expecially against the West Ham, Burnleys of the division.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We need to be improving on what we have and there's nobody outside the first team squad who is better or more versatile than BDB, expecially against the West Ham, Burnleys of the division.

In the ENTIRE WORLD?

Squads evolve.

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
I guess if you're a professional player it's the dream to play for the club you support and if thats the case with BDB then good luck to him. Be a shame to see him go but if it fullfills a dream and gets him a bigger pay check then fair enough.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
In theory your right - but in the real world and how you manage people properly you're wrong.

If you don't want to sell him - and the player wants to leave - and you don't want to offer him a new deal in the last 18 months of his contract either it is a bit unfair.

Unless we are offering a deal and he's choosing not to take it.

If he wants to leave it's a different situation, of course.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
In the ENTIRE WORLD?

Squads evolve.

No not in the entire world, or course not! There's loads better in the world than BDB.

I meant in the club already. If we had a replacement better than him, fine, but we dont, so we weaken ourselves (in the short term at least).

Its what Stains were doing a few seasons back.

Maybe that cash could be used to buy someone else down the line at least equal to Burn in ability, but today he's a first team starter and there isn't anyone better outside the first team squad to give us what he gives, if he left

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The contract would be on his recent contribution to the club surely, seems a sensible time to do it with 18 months left regardless of their interest?

The key question is would the club be offering him a new contract now, or soon, if there was no interest from the murderers? If not, and if he's not asking to go, then why would they? Of course, if he and his agent are playing their cards well, against a world-class poker player, he may get offered a new contract to stay.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Bidding clubs normally known if a player wants to join them before they bid. If a bid has gone in, I’d be shocked if BDB does not want to play for the club he loves and supports for something like double the salary.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Apart from BDB being a local lad to Newcastle.
Why on earth would he leave a club that's looked after him and is nowhere near relegation, to a club that's floundering in a sea of ££££'s, by trying to keep themselves afloat by buying extra "talent" that will only add to their excessive ballast.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Bidding clubs normally known if a player wants to join them before they bid. If a bid has gone in, I’d be shocked if BDB does not want to play for the club he loves and supports for something like double the salary.
You may be right but Muzza has no interest whatsoever in returning to his northern roots and Bruno doesn't seem to be in a hurry to move to Spain, admittedly both now retired.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Like Darwin Nunez? !!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Boyhood club
More Money
Chance of a longer contract

What's not to like?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
BDB is one of my candidates for player of the season. Not the biggest talent in the squad but I can't think of anyone who puts more effort in or has been so effective, in various areas of the pitch.

If GP phoned him up and asked him to fit his kitchen or lay a new driveway, I reckon he'd do it, and probably the same afternoon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here