Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It would ( will?) be very funny to see Newcastles heirachy spaff £100m+ and get relegated.

could be a masterstroke by TB to sell DA to them.

It would be even funnier if they can't manage to get back up.

Imagine the joy if they lose in the play offs to Preston or someone

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
What would constitute the right money ? It would be a potentially career ending move with half a season in the PL, a season in the Championship, then being replaced by a £200m Spanish or Brazilian player. Not to mention the upheaval of a move to the north east of England for a player that supposedly wasn’t keen on moving as far as London to play for Fulham.

Thats a new one on me that he wasn't keen on the Fulham offer

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Brighton wont sell Lewis Dunk in January. Ffs. For the right money in the summer, sure everyone is sellable, but selling the captain and best defender mid-season while trying to stay up? It just isnt happening.

I dont think Newcastle are going to be that interested in him anyway, think he is entering the age where he is highly unlikely to leave because no one is going to pay up what he is worth.

They'll probably go for Tarkowski instead. 6 months left on his contract and similar ability as Dunk.

I have already stated that I am not so sure that the Club would sell - Thats not the same as Dunk not being interested

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If he bins it off, it's for the money. Both in terms of wages and what he's going to be allowed to spend. Everyone knows we have one of the lowest budgets in the league, if someone with more money comes calling then stuff like this is going to happen. And I bet my bottom dollar that Bloom's planned for this eventuality. Hence why I'm not stressing, and you shouldn't be either

Absolutely. if he goes he'll spout some bollocks about 'being excited by the project' or whatever....but he's not going for :

-the support of a decent owner
-any current long-term vision
-guaranteed PL football next season
-to work with hugely promising team of youngsters
-to work with a progressive coach (arguable)

He'll be going for the cash, pure and simple. Better get the 'one greedy *******' chant warmed up :D

....meanwhile we pocket the compensation and go to the next name Tony will have on his succession plan to continue the work. Arguably, like the manager, it may be time for a fresh pair of eyes anyway. No drama here.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Maybe I am naive but now the structure, policy and vision of the club has been implemented I am not sure this that much of a disaster. But then I'm always quite skeptical about Ashworth since he declared his role was to keep Hughton in a job, about 3 weeks before he was fired.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Btw, a medium term project to turn a massive club into a European superpower is far more attractive than a long term one to turn a smallish club into one established as a top 10 club.

Human rights issues aside, i think people saying he'd only be in it for the money are way off the mark. It's a great opportunity for him.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I have already stated that I am not so sure that the Club would sell - Thats not the same as Dunk not being interested

Could be, money is important to people. Very easy to say no in theory, but turns very difficult when you understand you're not only able to provide a great life for your kids and grandkids but also their kids and their kids kids and all those cousins and whatnot... I mean your buddy who seems a sensible guy gladly took that Greek drug trafficking money. Money talks.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Btw, a medium term project to turn a massive club into a European superpower is far more attractive than a long term one to turn a smallish club into one established as a top 10 club.

Human rights issues aside, i think people saying he'd only be in it for the money are way off the mark. It's a great opportunity for him.

Agree, if your big passion in life is building football teams then there will be few opportunities as great as this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If he bins it off, it's for the money. Both in terms of wages and what he's going to be allowed to spend. Everyone knows we have one of the lowest budgets in the league, if someone with more money comes calling then stuff like this is going to happen. And I bet my bottom dollar that Bloom's planned for this eventuality. Hence why I'm not stressing, and you shouldn't be either

Oh gosh I really don't give a rat's.
I have no idea why knickers are being twisted and pearl are being clutched.

I'm not so certain they'll be succession planning for this one.

The club went out of its way to get him.
It seems odd to begin the process to replace him almost immediately.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
....meanwhile we pocket the compensation and go to the next name Tony will have on his succession plan to continue the work. Arguably, like the manager, it may be time for a fresh pair of eyes anyway. No drama here.

Shame they did not have a succession plan for Glenn Murray

Lets not forget - Tony Bloom appointed David Burke once upon a time

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Could be, money is important to people. Very easy to say no in theory, but turns very difficult when you understand you're not only able to provide a great life for your kids and grandkids but also their kids and their kids kids and all those cousins and whatnot... I mean your buddy who seems a sensible guy gladly took that Greek drug trafficking money. Money talks.

What the F#ck you on about ? - What has this conversation about Lewis Dunk got to do with that ?

Explain yourself and I would be more than happy to pass your comments on the ''the Greeks'' Lawyers

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I seem to reading somewhere at the time that he didn’t want to move too far from family. I’m not an insider like your good self though so rely on spivvy journalists for that sort of information.

I don't think all the improved Contracts within 12 to 14 months of each other were given to Lewis for no reason

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
Oh gosh I really don't give a rat's.
I have no idea why knickers are being twisted and pearl are being clutched.

I'm not so certain they'll be succession planning for this one.

The club went out of its way to get him.
It seems odd to begin the process to replace him almost immediately.

nothing's being twisted or clutched. we know the club have replacements lined up in literally every staff role. potter has been here for even less time than ashworth, and yet we know if he went tomorrow the club would already have someone in mind to replace him. why would ashworth's position be any different?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What the F#ck you on about ? - What has this conversation about Lewis Dunk got to do with that ?

Explain yourself and I would be more than happy to pass your comments on the ''the Greeks'' Lawyers

Not sure lawyers is the way Marinakis do it...

In March 2018, Marinakis was charged with drug trafficking.[118] The accusations against Marinakis were described as "very serious charges" following an investigation after the tanker Noor 1 was intercepted at the Greek port of Piraeus carrying 2.1 tonnes of heroin in 2014.[119] According to the jailed co-owner of Noor 1, Efthymios Yiannousakis, the vessel had in fact carried an additional ton of heroin (worth $70 million) which was unloaded on the island of Crete and trafficked to mainland Europe before Greek authorities managed to intercept the rest of the cargo. Yiannousakis further claimed that the heroin unloaded in Crete belonged to Marinakis.[6] The judicial council of the Piraeus Lower Court touched on all related issues and ruled that the prosecutor's order was not justified.[120]

Nottingham Forest F.C. chairman Nicholas Randall wrote an open letter to supporters reaffirming his support for Evangelos Marinakis. Randall confirmed the matter was under investigation but that "there is no ‘charge’ against Marinakis and no ‘prosecution’ is in process."[121]

In January 2021 and after 10 witnesses of the case have already died, and after reviewing the case, the judge came to the conclusion that there was no evidence implicating Marinakis, and therefore concluded his investigation.[122]

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Ashworth appears to have created a solid foundation for anyone else to take over.

If he decides to take the Saudi regime cash and run then we'll be fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here