Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The only person we need to really worry about and get our knickers in a twist about if he decided to move on is TB :smile:

It's all over Twitter. "Newcastle swoop to buy Bloom"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well.. maybe. No done deal yet, right?

As for Nixon... not too surprised. First heard of him while I was following GP in Swansea and he was right about pretty much everything. Not surprised it also appears to be the case with Ashworth - not really a clickbait rumour as 90% of English football fans wont give a shit about DA.

99.5%

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Well.. maybe. No done deal yet, right?

As for Nixon... not too surprised. First heard of him while I was following GP in Swansea and he was right about pretty much everything. Not surprised it also appears to be the case with Ashworth - not really a clickbait rumour as 90% of English football fans wont give a shit about DA.

The story was that Newcastle were interested in Ashworth, not that he was going. So his story was correct.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's all over Twitter. "Newcastle swoop to buy Bloom"

I think I can say with some certainty that he’ll turn them down…watch this space. If he goes missing we’ll know where to start the investigation.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think I can say with some certainty that he’ll turn them down…watch this space. If he goes missing we’ll know where to start the investigation.

It's true, I tell thee. He is going to head the new Saudi department for recruitment (Jewish section) :thumbsup:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It’ll be a good job for him if he goes, similar to here but with unlimited funds. He’ll be like a kid in a sweet shop hoovering up the best young players from everywhere.

Hopefully we’ve got a replacement in mind,

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Firstly, he isn’t gone yet, although I expect the chances he’ll go are probably greater than 50%. However he is one of a number of candidates. He might just go and have a chat and we then get info on what a competitors plans are. I know examples of that before.
If he does go then the compensation will probably cover the salary we’ve paid him since he’s been here so we will have got his services for next to nothing and he did being Lamptey to us for £3/4m and he must be worth £50m.
It’s Bloom’s policy not to block moves for senior employees. He let Ben White go for the right price as well and will then reinvest.
The loss of a senior employee is always a blow but it’s also a potential opportunity and we’ll have a short list of potential replacements that would bring their own black book of contacts.
If he goes and targets any of our players as transfer targets then we’ll hold out and get top price.
So it’s no irreversible loss. A short term blow, of course but we have the management structure in place to cope with it.

Agreed completely, but I'll add three things:
1, DA's key work probably came at the outset via his familiarity with the various levels of the England set-up. That probably got us Lamptey, Welbeck and Lallana. That familiarity has waned subsequently.
2, most of the work that DA would have been contributing towards the Jan window will now be complete, so the timing wouldn't be disastrous for us
3, all other clubs -- and Bloom very keenly -- will be aware that Newcastle are run by the biggest petro-state of them all, and have got bags of cash, so he'll be getting top dollar in terms of compensation

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Kosh you really should think of changing allegiance to your local team, you know it makes sense. Champion’s League within 5 years, you’ll be dead before Albion get there

Easy to get to games and best players in the world coming your way

Not a chance, I'd sooner watch Alnwick Town than that lot... years of being told my chosen club were shit and never going to be a PL team, so what's the point...? that and being absolutely hammered at the age of 9-10 for sporting an almost pink away shirt with NOBO written on it... need I say more?

Loved that kit btw, absolutely wonderful.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not stressing. this is the one thing we knew would happen as we climb the pyramid. people will want our staff. uncle tony will definitely have a long list of potential replacements, and we could get to see just how good the clubs 'succession planning' actually is

But this isn't a 'climb the pyramid' poaching.

Ashworth was bought in with the pyramid all but complete.

His remit is (was) to keep the process on track.
Maintain a steady flow of talent.
Allow the club to consistently find the points in order to lift it up 10 (ish) places.

If after 2 seasons he bins that off for the same job but with serious, potentially professionally damaging issues, would suggest although you might no be stressing it, others will.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Brighton wont sell Lewis Dunk in January. Ffs. For the right money in the summer, sure everyone is sellable, but selling the captain and best defender mid-season while trying to stay up? It just isnt happening.

I dont think Newcastle are going to be that interested in him anyway, think he is entering the age where he is highly unlikely to leave because no one is going to pay up what he is worth.

They'll probably go for Tarkowski instead. 6 months left on his contract and similar ability as Dunk.

Agree, but it's also worth adding that Dunk is injured and will be out until January if not later. Not sure that will serve Newcastle's short-term requirements.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Good point, not a lot is my guess.

TB will be saving a big salary every month . . . and no doubt has extracted a wad from the beheaders in compensation.

Love it!
That should be their nickname going forwards :)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Cmon - your'e being obtuse there.

You know exactly what I mean....

If you mean that the club will survive if he leaves, I agree.

Meanwhile, he's still here, doing what I suspect is an excellent job, as illustrated by [MENTION=23795]Hugo Rune[/MENTION], so premature acrimony would would seem a little harsh, expecially during this season of goodwill :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Maybe we can get a replacement that is able to identify a decent forward.

That is the scouts jobs. Maybe Ashworth can take Winstanley with him (the man responsible for Locadia, Ali J etc all before Ashworths time)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Maybe TB has given him him a fact-finding, information-gathering mission :shrug:

#AgentAshworth

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That is the scouts jobs. Maybe Ashworth can take Winstanley with him (the man responsible for Locadia, Ali J etc all before Ashworths time)

It would ( will?) be very funny to see Newcastles heirachy spaff £100m+ and get relegated.

could be a masterstroke by TB to sell DA to them.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
He will be missed though.

However, are U23’s and younger teams are very well stocked up after his good work. We should have decent talent coming through for the next 5 years. Some highlights include:

Rushworth
Van Hecke
Cochrane
Dendoncker
Tsungui
Moran
Jenks
Caicedo
Lenoard
Ferguson
Zeqiri
Sarmiento
Mitoma
Tolaj
Khadra

Hopefully he has already signed off the ‘goal scorers’ list we’ll be pursuing in January before Newcastle get their hands on it.

The point you make is valid. Even if Ashworth goes and is replaced by someone less good at getting young talent in, we've got enough to see us through a good few years until we find a suitable replacement. The absolute worse case scenario of this is that there's not much coming through to the first team in about 2026

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
But this isn't a 'climb the pyramid' poaching.

Ashworth was bought in with the pyramid all but complete.

His remit is (was) to keep the process on track.
Maintain a steady flow of talent.
Allow the club to consistently find the points in order to lift it up 10 (ish) places.

If after 2 seasons he bins that off for the same job but with serious, potentially professionally damaging issues, would suggest although you might no be stressing it, others will.

If he bins it off, it's for the money. Both in terms of wages and what he's going to be allowed to spend. Everyone knows we have one of the lowest budgets in the league, if someone with more money comes calling then stuff like this is going to happen. And I bet my bottom dollar that Bloom's planned for this eventuality. Hence why I'm not stressing, and you shouldn't be either

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here