Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cycling to the Amex

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
...But where does a chap leave his bike with 2.2" mtb tyres?
Do we know if the Uni will accept us locking up to their stands?

I've left my bike at the uni all day before - there's nothing they can do to stop you.

(It's where I'm going to leave mine)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I've left my bike at the uni all day before - there's nothing they can do to stop you.

(It's where I'm going to leave mine)

I'm thinking of doing this too. The bike racks at the station are going to be difficult to access after matches as they are right by the entrance to the platform going towards Brighton. I would expect that you would end up queueing to get on to the trains to get access to your bike then have to fight your way back out through the queues. If it is mostly butterfly racks at the stadium I won't be using them as you cannot lock your bike up by the wheels anyway.

Sorry, yes, there is a slip road to cross. But seeing that my 5-year-old knows to look carefully when crossing a road, do you really think that it needs spelling out to adults?

Still doesn't explain why you had to make up something about a set of steps negotiate.

The Garage entrance and slip road that your 5-year-old knows how to cross, gets cars pulling in at all speeds without indicating, and sometimes looking to their right instead of where they are heading. Does that preclude the SMARTEST of adults (or kids) from possible injury?
Your 5year-old is probably bright and everything - but do you believe everyone, including motorists are infallible?
I particularly dislike those kind and polite ones that contravene highway codes by giving RIGHT OF WAY to another motorist who should not have it. They disguise situations, so that it becomes a trap for ANYONE, including smart road users. Do you tell your kid to REFUSE an invitation by a stopped motorist, to cross a road?
Or perhaps he knows already, why he should have such initiative.

I've seen adults boldly go where children fear to tread - since I BOTHERED to give that account, I'm covering for every eventuality - including for those who might want to cross the A23 for Carvery or cafe.

At the bottom of the path away from the Stadium, a set of steps.
Some might need to know this, even if you don't.
I could not see any way around the steps, and they are steep enough to be still a bit dodgy for a mountain bike. The construction fence that runs alongside prevents any other option than to get off your bike and walk down the steps.

You're welcome.

Last edited:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I'm not usually in a rush to escape the ground so it would be nice to have my bike nearby. Has a look at the lame bicycle racks vaguely opposite the club shop today, one is next to a lamppost so usable. Given cycling is just after walking for preferred methods of getting to the ground and they already want to increase capacity (which would be dependent on the transport plan proving itself) I really think we should lobby the club for a proper set of bike racks - I know people are complaining about parking but the car parks are massive and have stewards - just take out half a dozen spaces and put in proper bike shelters (would also make a good spot for a crafty tab before I walk the final 100 yards)

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Your 5year-old is probably bright and everything - but do you believe everyone, including motorists are infallible?
I particularly dislike those kind and polite ones that contravene highway codes by giving RIGHT OF WAY to another motorist who should not have it. They disguise situations, so that it becomes a trap for ANYONE, including smart road users. Do you tell your kid to REFUSE an invitation by a stopped motorist, to cross a road?
Or perhaps he knows already, why he should take such an initiative.

I've seen adults boldly go where children fear to tread - since I BOTHERED to give that account, I'm covering for every eventuality - including for those who might want to cross the A23 for Carvery or cafe.

At the bottom of the path away from the Stadium, a set of steps.
Some might need to know this, even if you don't.
I could not see any way around the steps, and they are steep enough to be still a bit dodgy for a mountain bike. The construction fence that runs alongside prevents any other option than to get off your bike and walk down the steps.

You're welcome.

I have now cycled into the stadium both using the sussex uni/falmer station underpass and using the road route. At no point have I had to get off my bike on this journey, and my bike's a poncy fixed-gear with 23mm slick tyres. I think you need to look more carefully for all the lovely ramps they have built.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I have now cycled into the stadium both using the sussex uni/falmer station underpass and using the road route. At no point have I had to get off my bike on this journey, and my bike's a poncy fixed-gear with 23mm slick tyres. I think you need to look more carefully for all the lovely ramps they have built.

Careful, NMH will probably tell you that you are bullshiting or call you a tosser with useful information like this.

I'm the stupid one am I? You're the one who deemed it necesary to write an essay on riding a bike a few miles to a football stadium. Why is it every time you are challenged you have to revert to calling people tossers or bullshitters. I notice you have just come out with another helpful hint, apparently we should not cross the A road. Either you are deliberately fishing or you like the sound of your own typing.

I deemed it necessary? No, I decided to add to this thread after my own observations you cretin. Yes, more helpful hints.... and you think I should keep them to myself do you?
I spotted in another thread, someone mention two lads attempting to CROSS THE A27!! - so "apparently" it might be good to underline that as well.
You were rude about it, for no good reason other than the sound of YOUR own typing - so you can just do one. Yes, yes you are "the stupid one".

Now give it the large one about "all my posts being rude" etc.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Just out of interest whereabouts does this take you out too? I'm in Peacehaven.
Could you send me your route.

My plan if I fancied a bit of exercise was to drive to Lewes and then use the path along the A27.

Plenty of hills to negotiate though there are variations of routes you can take.

1. Head up to the Tye down through Telscombe village then as you climb the line out of the village there is a bridleway that heads down to the barns in Cricketing Bottom beyond them you join up with the South Downs Way which will involve a steep climb up Mill Hill near Rodmell. However, once you've pushed your bike up the slope the rest of the bridleway follows the ridge of the Downs. I'd keep following the South Downs Way down to the A27 where you can cross via a bridge then follow the cycle path a mile or so into Falmer village.

2. Alternately, at the Tye instead of following the lane down to Telscombe village follow a bridleway that heads west towards Balsdean where you also have a number of alternative routes; two bridleways, one just beyond the old monument to one of Harvey family heads up a hill past a lone barn to the South Downs Way above Iford, another in Balsdean also heads towards the South Downs Way above Kingston. You could also veer off that bridleway through Falmer Bottom though that has a steep climb at the end before joining the Falmer Road just south of Falmer.

There are loads of cycle racks at Sussex University some even under cover and I can't see them getting too shirty with people using them every other Saturday.

Lucky you.
On my route there were buses over the bike path (at bus stops, so I suppose they are allowed!), there were cars turning into and out of side roads, traffic lights at crossings and at road junctions (the highway code includes cycles, I understood) there was a fenced-off part of the bike path that led to a set of stairs, there was a footbridge over the A27 where it actually *tells* you to "DISMOUNT". No doubt you look carefully all the time, and with you there's never any reason to ever get off a saddle. :rolleyes:

I don't think I even had a "worst case scenario", and there are probably other potentials - but I mentioned some that *might* exist even though they didn't happen to me.

Last edited:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
So how far away are people thinking of cycling from?

I'm tempted to give it a go from Southwick - along the coast to Brighton and then up the Lewes Road to avoid the major hills.

The pluses are no queues, some exercise and a couple of beers.

The main minuses are hard work and being exposed to the elements.

This will probably last about two games!

but not if you are west stand upper and have about 85 flights of stairs to get to your seat.......

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Lucky you.
On my route there were buses over the bike path (at bus stops, so I suppose they are allowed!), there were cars turning into and out of side roads, traffic lights at crossings and at road junctions (the highway code includes cycles, I understood) there was a fenced-off part of the bike path that led to a set of stairs, there was a footbridge over the A27 where it actually *tells* you to "DISMOUNT". No doubt you look carefully all the time, and with you there's never any reason to ever get off a saddle. :rolleyes:

I don't think I even had a "worst case scenario", and there are probably other potentials - but I mentioned some that *might* exist even though they didn't happen to me.

:rolleyes: Ah, there was a poorly signed diversion that led you to those stairs, nearly fell for it myself, but don't worry it's gone now.
:rolleyes: Yes there is a dismount sign and if you can't control a bike at a slow walking speed I would recommend it. Generally I just use the road when the cycle paths are bitty and unconnected. I cycle for fun but as the number 1 way to safety improve cyclist safety is to increase their numbers (motorists get more used to seeing them and less likely to do that look straight through you and run you over thing) I could say I'm doing it for the children!
That rolleyes thing is annoying isn't it.

I'm tempted to give it a go from Southwick - along the coast to Brighton and then up the Lewes Road to avoid the major hills.

Lol!
Seriously though, the return journey may look a little daunting after the cycle there and after the match...and especially after the beers.
You can always cycle the journey there, then take the train back.

Brighton is seriously infested with pikey types who will nick anything that's not tied down - so don't risk your bike unshackled for a minute...at a pub, cafe, or a stationary shop, not in town.
On my way up Trafalgar Street I popped into a clothes shop - within a minute some dreadlocked druggy dirtball salivating around the mouth came in the shop (the bike I brought in with me) and asked me "how much yer pay for that bike?"
The shop-owner said he was probably seeing how much they were worth in resale, but I suspect he might have had it away anyway, if it was outside the shop.

:rolleyes: Ah, there was a poorly signed diversion that led you to those stairs, nearly fell for it myself, but don't worry it's gone now.
:rolleyes: Yes there is a dismount sign and if you can't control a bike at a slow walking speed I would recommend it. Generally I just use the road when the cycle paths are bitty and unconnected. I cycle for fun but as the number 1 way to safety improve cyclist safety is to increase their numbers (motorists get more used to seeing them and less likely to do that look straight through you and run you over thing) I could say I'm doing it for the children!
That rolleyes thing is annoying isn't it.

I didn't see the diversion sign - might have been looking at something else or my whelm was still under the spectacular wave of Amex-admiration, but it was the path that led past the station and looked the one most likely. It wasn't much bother to get off and carry the bike, but then I am built like Arnold so even my heavy bike was no problem (flexes massive biceps in triumph and pride). I will confess that my laddish sensibility was challenged slightly by those steps, thinking my rugged unshaven tires could handle it like a stunt-bike would.

The dismount sign for the bridge was obeyed - and it will be a much-used bridge on match-days anyway, so walking will probably be necessary anyway.
About the road over the A27 - it's just as simple to use, but includes a couple of roundabouts and being among more cars. The Falmer Pond and church, trees overhanging, flint houses and quiet charm seemed a nicer alternative. This brought me out directly opposite the downhill into Falmer's entrance gate, so I liked that. It's the best way from the Swan as well, after a pint or two.

The rolleyes is not so bad, I quite enjoyed yours. :thumbsup:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Thought the swan was out of bounds for fans? Shame as a lovely quiet spot for a pint

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011

just worry about theft of bike

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here