Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cycling to the Amex

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Will be cycling from Fiveways on the days my JCL missus doesn't come with me. Still haven't sussed out where the bike racks are yet. Anybody know?
:ascarf:

There is some discussion on the bike storage areas on this thread:

Cycle storage at Falmer

I'll be heading over from South Portslade, so as someone said above I reckon I'll mix and match my journey between Old Shoreham Rd, New England Rd, Lewes Rd with the Seafront, Old Stiene. I'm reckoning on about 35-40 mins journey time.

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Peacehaven to Falmer via Rottingdean and over the Falmer road...piece of piss!! Btw ur gonna get wet Dr when you set out today..no bottling it !! (i missed it till the jag garage by Holmes ave so..result!!)

Peacehaven to Falmer via Rottingdean and over the Falmer road...piece of piss!! Btw ur gonna get wet Dr when you set out today..no bottling it !! (i missed it till the jag garage by Holmes ave so..result!!)

sorry no dice, gotta drop 'the boy' off and get in sharpish, it's a time thing (honest!)

sorry lets keep this conversation open to all, If anyone on here is thinking of cycling down the falmer then you are more man than me! here's a plan for those from Rot,Saldean, the Havens etc puff and pant up the falmer rd have six pints in The Downs, theres a lift going from there allegedly, then home's all down hill from here (almost)

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Did you get your fold-up bike and use it yesterday ? I ask as i want to do the same thing!

TKC

Jun 16, 2011
I think the danger of cycling over the Falmer Road will stop a lot of people from the other side of Warren Road. If only they could put a proper pavement there it would help, because it is not even good for walking.

I can't believe that with all the banging on about sustainable travel that there is no cycle lane or footpath from Falmer to Woodingdean. It forces so many people to drive or bus that could easily walk or cycle.

There is some discussion on the bike storage areas on this thread:

Cycle storage at Falmer

Having now seen the cycle racks, I can see the validity of the warning that appeared in the Supporters Club Newsletter (July) ...

'Bikes – there are lots of bike-parking stands, most of them sadly of the “butterfly” type which do not support bikes, do not accept two-inch mountain bike tyres, and allow only wheels to be locked to them. There are a few of the much-preferred “Sheffield” stands under the new footbridge over the railway. What a sad situation that a first-class stadium is equipped mainly with third-class bike stands! There is, though, a good cycle route along Lewes Road (from both directions) and via the subway/footbridge at Falmer Station.'

The Club has been made aware of the problem:-

Bike parking

Okay - I did the ride to The Amex yesterday, down from East Haywards Heath area through Chailey, down to Lewes and right, to Falmer along the A27 and over the footbridge opposite The Swan. Afterwards, I continued into Brighton through Moulsecoomb and The Level and up to Brighton Station.
I was riding a mountain-bike with heavy tires that were somewhat under-inflated, so it was harder work for that.

Observations; It took about 45 minutes to get to Lewes, and some of the road is NOT cycle-friendly! :ohmy:
I'd say the part from Lewes onwards IS safe, as long as you stay on designated paths and be aware of motorists who aren't....aware. The wind is likely to be against you (as it was for me) heading West, so those few miles could take a while - I estimate around 30 minutes averaging around 8 to 10 mph, allowing for getting from town to the stadium.
Trucks and larger vehicles coming towards Lewes do have enough slipstream gusts to slow you down and make it dusty, monoxide-smelly, and difficult, so for health purposes cycling there may not be conducive to your ultimate best physical interests :glare:

There are refreshment opportunities;- in Lewes of course, then the hut close to the roundabout on the South side, one West in a layby on the North side, the garage (a bit pricey, but fairly okay for small snack foods), the carvery opposite on the South side. You can cross the A27 just around there, but any negotiating of this motorway is very dangerous(!!).

Watch the WEATHER for this ride, it will be VERY uncomfortable to ride there and get caught in rain - sitting in wet clobber watching a game won't be wise, or enhance the experience..... and not much point having a nice roof if you are already sopping wet and sniffling.

Entering the Stadium gates - take care to NOT suddenly think you do not need to keep a formation - there will be motorists and it is still a road. Watch your speed down that hill and pay attention, as there will be pedestrians who will not be thinking they are on a thoroughfare, but on a concourse (better to dismount actually).

The bike racks are there, but are not abundant. Be prepared to have to find alternatives, and do NOT just lock your bike to some other bike you don't know the owner of.
As has been noted - these are simple wheel-racks that won't support your bike and don't like thick tires. Someone could lean or fall against your nice cycle and presto; buckled wheel and no way to cycle home!

You may wish to carry a rucksack for refreshments or hats, scarves, wetgear, phones, p/c's etc. Where are you going to PUT this rucksack for the match? Prepare.

The paths to and from Moulsecoomb have some fenced work going on. The track includes a set of stairs, a heavy-gravel path, and kerbs in the suburb. Also residents, dogs that may not like cycles, and people (and cars) who will NOT see that they need to get out of your way! It's not really clear about how to continue through this residential area, I would suggest taking the little tunnel just by the school and getting onto the main road instead of riding through Moulsecoomb. When there will be several others walking and cycling, not everyone is going to be willing to accept your track and speed, and some might be rubbish at cycling in a straight line (like me). You wouldn't want to get 'bumped' into traffic when overtaking a wobbling wandering cyclist.

Wear a helmet. I don't like them, and won't bother if on a remote track - but there's a first time for everything. Make sure your bike is maintained so you don't end up going over the handlebars or onto the crossbar :eek:

As you negotiate the City central area, you can't use pavements and traffic builds. Traffic lights must be obeyed as cars come at any angles, people step out to cross roads, shoppers are looking at what they are doing, let alone at you. And you can practically walk as fast as cycle from around the Sainsburys/garage to St Peter's Church.

It's not what cyclists want to hear, but in my opinion, the trains and buses are in general the best way to travel. ???

Last edited:

And one more thing - you can generally take your bike on a train, as some cyclists will.
Realise that match-days will have crowds, and both sets of supporters. Bikes will need to be leaned up in the train doorways, and you don't always know which side of the train to use when you get on. Other travelers may want to get on or off before you, so pulling their bike from beneath yours, climbing around it, or tearing their clothes or skin on your pedals won't be well received.... in fact they might be livid. That you are going to the football won't help get sympathy from locals who aren't!
So basically, be polite and allow for local shoppers, residents or workers who just happen to want to use the trains and buses as they expect to at any other day of the week. :thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Okay - I did the ride to The Amex yesterday, down from East Haywards Heath area through Chailey, down to Lewes and right, to Falmer along the A27 and over the footbridge opposite The Swan. Afterwards, I continued into Brighton through Moulsecoomb and The Level and up to Brighton Station.

Observations; It took about 45 minutes to get to Lewes, and some of the road is NOT cycle-friendly! :ohmy:
I'd say the part from Lewes onwards IS safe, as long as you stay on designated paths and be aware of motorists who aren't....aware. ...

The paths to and from Moulsecoomb have some fenced work going on. The track includes a set of stairs, a heavy-gravel path, and kerbs in the suburb. Also residents, dogs that may not like cycles, and people (and cars) who will NOT see that they need to get out of your way! It's not really clear about how to continue through this residential area, I would suggest taking the little tunnel just by the school and getting onto the main road instead of riding through Moulsecoomb.

As you negotiate the City central area, you can't use pavements and traffic builds. Traffic lights must be obeyed as cars come at any angles, people step out to cross roads, shoppers are looking at what they are doing, let alone at you. And you can practically walk as fast as cycle from around the Sainsburys/garage to St Peter's Church.

Total crap.

There's no reason to be wary of motorists from Lewes to the stadium as the cycle path doesn't involve a road at all - it's a shared pedestrian/cycle path all the way to the stadium.

Again, the route from Falmer into town doesn't involve a road for some time - there's a shared cycle/pedestrian path all the way to the end of Wild Park. There's then a cycle path on the road - there are NO steps to negotiate at all.

I cycle this route every day and I've known any hassle from residents and there aren't many pedestrians crossing - the only problem is that cars do tend to park in the cycle lane. I've not once had to stop suddenly on this stretch of road. I do Sainsbury's to St Peter's Church regularly and it takes me about 3 to 5 minutes, I'd challenge anyone to walk that stretch in anything approaching that time.

It certainly sounds like there are issues with parking at the stadium but the ride to and from it, whether it's in the direction of Brighton or Lewes is as easy as a cycle ride can be - not to hilly and cycle paths all the way.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Over the hills from Telscombe on fine days or on the cycle track from Kingston.

Just out of interest whereabouts does this take you out too? I'm in Peacehaven.
Could you send me your route.

My plan if I fancied a bit of exercise was to drive to Lewes and then use the path along the A27.

Total crap.

There's no reason to be wary of motorists from Lewes to the stadium as the cycle path doesn't involve a road at all - it's a shared pedestrian/cycle path all the way to the stadium.

Again, the route from Falmer into town doesn't involve a road for some time - there's a shared cycle/pedestrian path all the way to the end of Wild Park. There's then a cycle path on the road - there are NO steps to negotiate at all.

I cycle this route every day and I've known any hassle from residents and there aren't many pedestrians crossing - the only problem is that cars do tend to park in the cycle lane. I've not once had to stop suddenly on this stretch of road. I do Sainsbury's to St Peter's Church regularly and it takes me about 3 to 5 minutes, I'd challenge anyone to walk that stretch in anything approaching that time.

It certainly sounds like there are issues with parking at the stadium but the ride to and from it, whether it's in the direction of Brighton or Lewes is as easy as a cycle ride can be - not to hilly and cycle paths all the way.

Er.... I did mention a GARAGE by the way.
HOW do cars enter that petrol station, usually after speeding along at around 70mph?

I also noted several places for refreshments including THE CARVERY (think Sportsman, cheap lunch or dinner)
Do you THINK maybe that - since there a chance people might spot these and want to include them in their experience, that as there's no footbridge they will be tempted to CROSS the motorway?
There ARE crossings available - and I believe some might think it quite okay to USE them!

I believe a WARNING about that is hardly "total crap" as you ignorantly put it.

Also - we are talking about MATCH DAY, not your everyday cycle routine, and not everyone elses. Some might only do it occasioanally, some might do it once, some might do it ONLY on the days of the games.
So shut it.

Last edited:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Wow NMH, patronising? You should wear a helmet, watch out for pedestrians/cars, don't take your bike on a packed train, it won't be nice if you are sat watching the game soaked through, really. Thanks for the heads up. We are not allowed to use pavements either? f*** me? Who has ever heard of this crazy ruling. And best of all, make sure your bike is maintained, does bike maintenance extend to making sure your tyres are inflated properly NMH? Clearly not in your case.

I'd imagine most people considering riding to Falmer are aware of cars and pedestrians and the british weather. Aware of bike maintenance issues and aware of the bye laws concerning when and where they are allowed to ride.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Just out of interest whereabouts does this take you out too? I'm in Peacehaven.
Could you send me your route.

My plan if I fancied a bit of exercise was to drive to Lewes and then use the path along the A27.

The only thing NMH said that is of use, is that the ride from Lewes to Falmer is a tough one. It is slightly uphill and always against the wind even when it should be a tailwind, the traffic seems to reverse the wind along most of the route. If you want to cross to the stadium the best place to do it is via the underpass at Falmer train station.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
...But where does a chap leave his bike with 2.2" mtb tyres?
Do we know if the Uni will accept us locking up to their stands?

Incidentally, I did read about (not sure if it's true or made up) a couple of lads trying to cross the A23 around the stadium, in another thread following the SSC game.

Now I don't think it's any mystery to everyone on here - but that would be suicide.

I admit I find it hard to believe anyone would do it, but ya never know - some tipsy youth might find it amusing to chance being roadkill, and it wouldn't be pretty.

100 million quid of stadium does not redress the balance for a loss of a life - not by foolishness, nor by any accident.
Better to avoid all potential for disaster.

Wow NMH, patronising? You should wear a helmet, watch out for pedestrians/cars, don't take your bike on a packed train, it won't be nice if you are sat watching the game soaked through, really. Thanks for the heads up. We are not allowed to use pavements either? f*** me? Who has ever heard of this crazy ruling. And best of all, make sure your bike is maintained, does bike maintenance extend to making sure your tyres are inflated properly NMH? Clearly not in your case.

I'd imagine most people considering riding to Falmer are aware of cars and pedestrians and the british weather. Aware of bike maintenance issues and aware of the bye laws concerning when and where they are allowed to ride.

Nice bit of stupid blurting out there pantoni, I mentioned all my observations simply so tossers like you can blither about how obvious they are.
I knew about tire inflation before, but cycling 15 miles on a dirt-bike makes it even more apparent.
I won't be the first to have dusted off a bicycle after a long time and not inflated the tires enough, and I won't be the last.

Some will be thankful for being reminded, especially if they don't cycle on a regular basis.
Some will just blurt out bullshit, like you and Gwylan.

...But where does a chap leave his bike with 2.2" mtb tyres?
Do we know if the Uni will accept us locking up to their stands?

The racks are 'flared out' to allow you to wedge the wheel in, but of course that entails only getting the wheel down a short way.
Some cables/locks might not be simple to work with, and as mentioned - there's the issue about the heavier bikes especially, leaning over and leaning against spokes to stay upright.

Personally, I would doubt that the Uni would prohibit use of their racks, but it might be worth a phone call and let us know the answer :)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Nice bit of stupid blurting out there pantoni, I mentioned all my observations simply so tossers like you can blither about how obvious they are.
I knew about tire inflation before, but cycling 15 miles on a dirt-bike makes it even more apparent.
I won't be the first to have dusted off a bicycle after a long time and not inflated the tires enough, and I won't be the last.

Some will be thankful for being reminded, especially if they don't cycle on a regular basis.
Some will just blurt out bullshit, like you and Gwylan.

I'm the stupid one am I? You're the one who deemed it necesary to write an essay on riding a bike a few miles to a football stadium. Why is it every time you are challenged you have to revert to calling people tossers or bullshitters. I notice you have just come out with another helpful hint, apparently we should not cross the A road. Either you are deliberately fishing or you like the sound of your own typing.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Er.... I did mention a GARAGE by the way.
HOW do cars enter that petrol station, usually after speeding along at around 70mph?

Sorry, yes, there is a slip road to cross. But seeing that my 5-year-old knows to look carefully when crossing a road, do you really think that it needs spelling out to adults?

Still doesn't explain why you had to make up something about a set of steps negotiate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here