Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cycling to the Amex

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
So how far away are people thinking of cycling from?

I'm tempted to give it a go from Southwick - along the coast to Brighton and then up the Lewes Road to avoid the major hills.

The pluses are no queues, some exercise and a couple of beers.

The main minuses are hard work and being exposed to the elements.

This will probably last about two games!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
umm...live in Shoreham ....drive to north hove..pedal from there..cross the a27 near stanmer and cut down thru the woods..if its raining of more importantly blowing a gale..no chance.

ps test ride this weekend

Last edited:

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I always try to bike to football. Will be driving from the Midlands, parking on the outskirts (maybe Withdean ?) and riding there (all weathers)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So how far away are people thinking of cycling from?

I'm tempted to give it a go from Southwick - along the coast to Brighton and then up the Lewes Road to avoid the major hills.

The way I come back when I've been out that way is to hit the Old Shoreham Road, cycle all the way on it to the Dials, bomb down New England Road to Preston Circus, up Viaduct Rd, Upper Lewes Road, hit Lewes Rd at the Vogue one-way system and then straight on to Falmer. It's much quicker than the coast way and there are no major hills.
You might want to do the coast road coming back though to avoid the climb to the Dials.

My only worry is the hoards of fans on the cycle lanes who've walked from Brighton. We'll see!

Yes, the cycle lane along Lewes Road is shared use - that might be slow progress. On the other hand, the traffic might be such that cycling in the road is possible - something I wouldn't attempt there normally.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Will be cycling from Fiveways on the days my JCL missus doesn't come with me. Still haven't sussed out where the bike racks are yet. Anybody know?
:ascarf:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I did it from Steyning a few times to Withdean when the weather was good. For the Donny match I will be starting at Rottingdean - but I just do not fancy the top bit of the Falmer Road. Although if it is grid-locked - it may be ok.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The way I come back when I've been out that way is to hit the Old Shoreham Road, cycle all the way on it to the Dials, bomb down New England Road to Preston Circus, up Viaduct Rd, Upper Lewes Road, hit Lewes Rd at the Vogue one-way system and then straight on to Falmer. It's much quicker than the coast way and there are no major hills.
You might want to do the coast road coming back though to avoid the climb to the Dials.

For an irregular cyclist like me - it is coast road then straight up through town. Bit too much traffic for me on that route.

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
Will be cycling from Fiveways on the days my JCL missus doesn't come with me. Still haven't sussed out where the bike racks are yet. Anybody know?
:ascarf:
I´m also wondering where the bike racks are, let's hope they are not by Falmer station or it might take ages to get to your bike and get out of there. The University will definitely have their own bike racks. On the clubs leaflet it said there will be ample space to park bikes, but nothing more specific.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I'm planning on cycling from Hurstpierpoint, but only in good weather. I cycled a lot to the Withdean, then enjoyed a leisurely
cycle home listening to all the scores and reports

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I did it from Steyning a few times to Withdean when the weather was good. For the Donny match I will be starting at Rottingdean - but I just do not fancy the top bit of the Falmer Road. Although if it is grid-locked - it may be ok.

I think the danger of cycling over the Falmer Road will stop a lot of people from the other side of Warren Road. If only they could put a proper pavement there it would help, because it is not even good for walking.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
I'm thinking of getting a fold-up bike, putting it in the back of the car, and parking a couple of miles away.

I've been thinking of doing that myself. I clocked it from Falmer station to Newick road a few weeks ago and it was only 0.9 mile. Park around the Coldean lane / Newick Road area and a 7/8 min cycle to the ground.......simples.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
There should be a cycle path alongside the Falmer Road (Woodingdean - Falmer) and between them, Brighton & Hove and East Sussex Councils should have used the stadium as the catalyst for building it. It's a deathtrap for cyclists. Coming to the Amex from Woodingdean, I'd happily cycle there but there's no way I'd want to ride on that road.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
There should be a cycle path alongside the Falmer Road (Woodingdean - Falmer) and between them, Brighton & Hove and East Sussex Councils should have used the stadium as the catalyst for building it. It's a deathtrap for cyclists. Coming to the Amex from Woodingdean, I'd happily cycle there but there's no way I'd want to ride on that road.

The Universities should have been the catalyst many moons ago.

I looked into this sometime ago and someone at the council informed me this was a no go as it was a public lighting issue, no street lights = no cycle lane, fair enough I was thinking, until the other night when it dawned upon me i'd been using the cycle lane between Rottingdean and Roedean for the last 10 years with only a front light from the pound shop to guide me home after dark

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've been thinking of doing that myself. I clocked it from Falmer station to Newick road a few weeks ago and it was only 0.9 mile. Park around the Coldean lane / Newick Road area and a 7/8 min cycle to the ground.......simples.

Coldean and most of Moulsecoomb is fine to park in. I'd be wary about Newick Road, Chailey Road Halland Road and that area.

Mind you, I could be prejudiced since I was mugged at knifepoint in Appledore Rd when I was doing my paper round 40 years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here