Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is that the new Vietnamese place on Preston Street? ???
I don't like to talk about it.

Anyhoo BS that was the 7,000th post!

The new look Stat team is done.

It looks odd, but with a tiny bit of reassuring orange.
One of the worries is my teams total form points, amounts to 54.4. :facepalm:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I don't like to talk about it.

Anyhoo BS that was the 7,000th post!

The new look Stat team is done.

It looks odd, but with a tiny bit of reassuring orange.
One of the worries is my teams total form points, amounts to 54.4. :facepalm:

No, mine was the 7000th! Bold's was the 7000th reply.

Not that I'm a pedant or anything.

Mar 12, 2008
Congratulations to the NSC Cycling Geeks at the Spring Sportive from Plumpton Races on Saturday.

EPIC Route (75 miles)
@speadbetting seagull - GOLD 04:26:25
Myself - GOLD 04:40:35
@pogue mahone - GOLD 04:39:25 (I've listed him below me as we started together and after doing the whole route Spreadbetting and his mates caught us up about 7 miles from the finish and so we had a lead out train back into Plumpton. Pogue sat at the back pretending to be shot, then with 3/4mile to go, tried a classic attack on the final descent into Plumpton. His delight at the prospect of winning was quickly stifled however when he realised I still had his wheel, and so I definitely crossed the line in front - not that it's a race, it's a sportive....:banana:)

STANDARD Route 58miles
@hamilton - GOLD 03:34:45 (on his new carbon no less!)

This was a great Sportive and a brilliant route, lots of fast very smooth country lanes, beautiful morning. We do need to get some NSC Geek caps though I reckon!! Congrats to all, we averaged about 17 mph, with some descents getting up to 39 mph. Great stuff.

Team NSC with GOLD across the board - fantastic stuff.

What do we want on our caps? I'm thinking nice and minimal, white with blue stripes on the top, and a blue seagull on the peak. Perhaps a modified version of this:
http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=39&ID=1164

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Oh, and who fancies giving this a bash? Only 115 miles and 9,000 ft of climbing :ohmy:

http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/king-of-the-downs-sportive-ride-2nd-june-2013

I'm away unfortunately, but I fancy this though, 124 miles, 7000 ft of climbing....http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/wiggle-the-long-one-sportive/

I did both of those last year as training for LEJOG. They were hard...very hard. Especially King of The Downs, which is hilly throughout, with ten signed major climbs - the last two of which are the worst (Yorks Hill and Titsey Hill).

I'm pleased to say that I'll be in Southampton for the cricket on that day, so can't make it.

I may do The Long One again though - that was brilliant.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
So has anyone gone for the Stat Brother 6 transfers trying to get riders in the break tactic for today?

Personally, I used two of my four trying to guess at the winner for today but didn't want to take too many GC riders out when they are all getting points in two classifications at least, except Uran. Basically, unless there is a major shake up today I am certain of 54 points minimum. Plus that last climb looks pretty hard for a Cat 3 with sections at 13%. I'm not entirely convinced we won't see some GC action on this climb, the likes of Betancur and Santambrogio will need to gain time on the better TT riders around them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So has anyone gone for the Stat Brother 6 transfers trying to get riders in the break tactic for today?

Personally, I used two of my four trying to guess at the winner for today but didn't want to take too many GC riders out when they are all getting points in two classifications at least, except Uran. Basically, unless there is a major shake up today I am certain of 54 points minimum. Plus that last climb looks pretty hard for a Cat 3 with sections at 13%. I'm not entirely convinced we won't see some GC action on this climb, the likes of Betancur and Santambrogio will need to gain time on the better TT riders around them.
Coward - You don't win nuffink with GC!!

Yep the Stat's will wade in for a couple or more.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Certainly not the tactic for me. I'm a bit annoyed as I used up a transfer bringing in Pellizotti as I thought he might get in the break today. Now I haven't got my usual 3 in 3 out transfers for isolated sprint days.

Still got 2 in the break today (Pirazzi and Weening) so i'm hoping the latter will be able to chip off the front on the final climb.

Trying to weigh up the transfers for the TT now - if I bring in 3 sprinters for tomorrow I'll be stuck with one for the TT.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Certainly not the tactic for me. I'm a bit annoyed as I used up a transfer bringing in Pellizotti as I thought he might get in the break today. Now I haven't got my usual 3 in 3 out transfers for isolated sprint days.

Still got 2 in the break today (Pirazzi and Weening) so i'm hoping the latter will be able to chip off the front on the final climb.

Trying to weigh up the transfers for the TT now - if I bring in 3 sprinters for tomorrow I'll be stuck with one for the TT.

You can't be as p***ed off as I am. Tried to put a bet on Kelderman for the stage today but no one had a price on him. I asked for a price for him from the two betting sites I have accounts with but never received one from either. He would have been at least 100-1 looking at the odds on others and of course he is in the break.

I only have Di Luca in the break today, couldn't afford Kelderman. I also brought in Paolini as this very similar to the stage he won, really hoping they bring back the break now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well the Super Stat tac tic might not work.

There's 3 in that break I looked at Eros and Sutherland have let me down, and I'm nothing if not vindictive.
Plus Euskaltel fella, but I went with the younger man.

Just like the start of the Giro, but this time I accidentally ended up with 2 Radioshack riders, instead of Argos.
I did actually notice just before clicking transfer, but let it slide as it's a bit classic-y today, assuming they didn't go over the big climb at the start.
They really are pony, grrrr.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You can't be as p***ed off as I am. Tried to put a bet on Kelderman for the stage today but no one had a price on him. I asked for a price for him from the two betting sites I have accounts with but never received one from either. He would have been at least 100-1 looking at the odds on others and of course he is in the break.

I only have Di Luca in the break today, couldn't afford Kelderman. I also brought in Paolini as this very similar to the stage he won, really hoping they bring back the break now.
Oh and from experience with Skybet.

When asking for a price they seem to conveniently slot the 'unknown' in somewhere between 33 & 50/1.
Sons of b*****s.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Oh and from experience with Skybet.

When asking for a price they seem to conveniently slot the 'unknown' in somewhere between 33 & 50/1.
Sons of b*****s.

I would have taken 50-1 for definite. We shall see, but I may be spitting feathers later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here