Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think we should send an envoy to Bozza Towers.
Stating the next time he closes down NSC (it might be during Le Tour), Geeks or The Official Thread should remain open.

It's not like we are involved in the silliness, so we shouldn't be punished. :lolol:

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
This is a poor Giro

The weather has nullified the mountain stages and Nibali is going to win virtually by default.

We haven't been treated to a kamikaze sprinter from a 2nd Tier Italian team or a random climber tearing it up in the mountains.

In fact, i'd go as far as to say the current crop of GT 'contenders' is as weak / thin as I think I can remember.

Now i've lobbed that grenade into the thread - i'll take a step back!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
This is a poor Giro

The weather has nullified the mountain stages and Nibali is going to win virtually by default.

We haven't been treated to a kamikaze sprinter from a 2nd Tier Italian team or a random climber tearing it up in the mountains.

In fact, i'd go as far as to say the current crop of GT 'contenders' is as weak / thin as I think I can remember.

Now i've lobbed that grenade into the thread - i'll take a step back!

Degenkolb's win on Stage 5 was a classic Giro Stage, crash at the end ruining any chance for anyone bar the two riders who managed to stay upright! Ferrari seems to have been too far off the pace to cause his usual havoc and everyone seems to have Bouhanni's number on his erratic sprinting.

As for the weather I think you are right to an extent but there have been more attacks than last years Tour, for example, that really was boring racing. Nibali appears to have it sewn up because no one seems able to beat him up the mountains, some riders have matched him at times but none of them all the time.

Visconti's win the other day was a classic I thought, and as good a stage as I watched for a while. So in conclusion I do not agree with the poor Giro assertion.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Looks like they're not letting this break get away - could be fireworks on the last little lump before the finish.

Looking at the GC, the gaps aren't very big (top 18 all within 10 minutes) so any break that goes with a fringe GC contender is a threat to a lot of the top 10. Hence Radioshack supposedly doing big turns for Kiserlovski (unless they think Nizzolo has got the legs to get to the finish at the front?).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thinking of buying a road bike.

What's a fast and good looking bike under £1000!

Thanks
We need to make up a template for this, not that it's a problem.

Ok so sub 1k, gets you a very good, slightly above entry level, road bike.
But there are compromises to made.

The best specced bike is usually The Boardman Range, but they are from Halfords.
Top end of your budget will get you a lighter smoother carbon bike, but the components esp most importantly wheels might be compromised.

In short there's no right answer, you need to try before you buy.
You have every brand at your finger tips, let us know what shops your visiting, and as the search narrows we'll wade in.
Ideally shop from a Local Bike Shop.
You will need to leave room in your budget for 'all the gear', you could/should include pedals and shoes.

There are some great buying guides on www.bikeradar.com

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Looks like they're not letting this break get away - could be fireworks on the last little lump before the finish.

Looking at the GC, the gaps aren't very big (top 18 all within 10 minutes) so any break that goes with a fringe GC contender is a threat to a lot of the top 10. Hence Radioshack supposedly doing big turns for Kiserlovski (unless they think Nizzolo has got the legs to get to the finish at the front?).

Truly bizarre this, Radioshack and Katusha defending 11th and 12th respectively. What is the point?

Kelly and the other guy keeping speculating whether Cav can make it over. They must be mentals, if they think he will be there at the end. Oh, and piss off Kelderman, he has now broken clear of the rest of the break with Sella and Pate chasing.

EDIT: Maybe Katusha are pulling it back for Paolini? I would like that a lot.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Truly bizarre this, Radioshack and Katusha defending 11th and 12th respectively. What is the point?

Kelly and the other guy keeping speculating whether Cav can make it over. They must be mentals, if they think he will be there at the end. Oh, and piss off Kelderman, he has now broken clear of the rest of the break with Sella and Pate chasing.

EDIT: Maybe Katusha are pulling it back for Paolini? I would like that a lot.
and Radioshack, because there would have been no point them being there, otherwise.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
and Radioshack, because there would have been no point them being there, otherwise.

It is the Andy Schleck effect. His pointlessness has rubbed off on the rest of the team.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Or Katusha and Radioshack have heard about my bet, and don't want to see me upset :lolol:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Just about to go uphill, one of the GC boys will attempt something I think.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is the Andy Schleck effect. His pointlessness has rubbed off on the rest of the team.
If nothing else you'd have thought they'd be riding for a contract somewhere next season.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Go on Betancur! Love the way he races.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Thanks

So many to choose from.

I use Rayments as my local bike shop - always found them helpful, informative and friendly...and when you get to know them, they really put themselves out for you. They also stock Specialized bikes, which I like.

I live in Ovingdean too, so pm me if you like.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Thanks

You do have a wealth of options and buying guides.

Sometimes the less fancied brands offer a really decent spec'd bike in terms of Shimano 105 groupsets or Compag equivalents. I'd personally look at Canyon, Ribble for online options. But you do need to get to shops to try out because frame size is about reach (top tube length) as well as height.

Check the reviews, but do you go cheaper carbon, or a really well spec'd aluminium for that money? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-insight-105-2013/ OR http://road.cc/content/review/84163-forme-longcliffe-10

For starters I think it's worth trying to aim for a Shimano 105 spec'd bike, as these are very good components on this price point bike. Someone will know what the compag equivalent is.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Kelderman still in the lead group, by the looks of things. :down:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
What a mental stage, brilliant racing, great to see.

It was rather splendid wasn't it?

5 and 10 for me. Which is rather poor considering I correctly predicted it would be a GC shoot out today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I dropped 3, 8, 10 & 11.

Keeping 12 & 14th :thumbsup:

I would have scored similar to everyone else, nothing ventured nothing gained.
Without the winner I don't see it as a complete loss, worth a punt, c'est la vie.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I dropped 3, 8, 10 & 11.

Keeping 12 & 14th :thumbsup:

I would have scored similar to everyone else, nothing ventured nothing gained.
Without the winner I don't see it as a complete loss, worth a punt, c'est la vie.

An admirable attitude to accepting that. I may have put a laptop through a window!! :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here