Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a shame the spectacle has been ruined, but no blooming surprise.

Got to wonder why this route was chosen.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Why wasn't it a surprise? the weather's usually gorgeous in this part of Italy at this time of year isn't it?

Nope, summits like the Galibier (which is in France btw, not Italy) are usually closed to road traffic until end of May/June. When we went through St.Bernards Pass, which is same sort of region, the other year at the end of May we had to go through the tunnel as the pass doesn't open until June.

They should have kept the race in Italy, they have more mountains to choose from than France anyway!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Snow in May? Pretty extreme conditions to cycle in, I'd have thought.

Today's stage was in doubt today because of the snow. The last 4km of the last climb (Galibier) was cut out as it was deemed unsafe by the French authorities. Really cold weather for longer than usual all over Europe but certainly snow on the ground that high up at this time of year is pretty much the norm. You're right, dodgy conditions to cycle in and hence why a lot of people aren't happy about this kind of stage today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Apparently The Galibier is very rarely open this time of year, the gates don't go up till June.

Today was the cycling equivalent of holding a soccerball world cup in a desert.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not the first time!!!

Adorni.jpg

gavia+1988.png

bernard_gavia_giro_1988_12_670.jpg

6a3acacf_andy-hampsten-snow.jpg

I could go on.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's a legendary black and white photo similar to the one above.
I think it's Anquetil, but I can't find it on google images.

The details are in a magazine I've got, but that's upstairs.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Garmin Edge 200, tescodirect £109, but in their 'double voucher value' promotion. Hmm. Had a bid for a Bryton 20 but still getting daft taking into account postage and ebay transaction fees. However, if Endomondo Sports Tracker does not eat data I have a couple of used Blackberry possibilities I might take up on a PAYG and use it purely for rides.

Rear brake is making a whooshing noise. Pads look unevenly worn. 3 months old, can't be right. Warranty might be activated tomorrow.

Enjoyed that last stage. Bit of snow is fine.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There's a legendary black and white photo similar to the one above.
I think it's Anquetil, but I can't find it on google images.

The details are in a magazine I've got, but that's upstairs.

And you can't make it up the stairs to find details of those poor *******s going up mountains, in the snow, on a bike, in shorts, and without gloves!? :nono:

:jester:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Garmin Edge 200, tescodirect £109, but in their 'double voucher value' promotion. Hmm. Had a bid for a Bryton 20 but still getting daft taking into account postage and ebay transaction fees. However, if Endomondo Sports Tracker does not eat data I have a couple of used Blackberry possibilities I might take up on a PAYG and use it purely for rides.

Rear brake is making a whooshing noise. Pads look unevenly worn. 3 months old, can't be right. Warranty might be activated tomorrow.

Have you tried the viewranger app?

I use Endomondo for data recording as I have a Nokia so can't use Strava. I don't use it as a gps on the bike though as I know the routes I'm riding.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Wiggle have the same Garmin for £96.79.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge...- CO Stage 1&gclid=CMzVhsLVorcCFWfItAodKCEA4g

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I don't have a smartphone 1066. Maybe the quantity of other DDs and the fact I still can't see what is wrong with a basic mobile (tocco lite lets me phone, text and see other scores waiting for the bus/train after the match) is preventing me joining you modern types. I'm a bit ashamed of my strava entries being manual...

SB, you pull me up about my avatar, but your sig?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And you can't make it up the stairs to find details of those poor *******s going up mountains, in the snow, on a bike, in shorts, and without gloves!? :nono:

:jester:

Upstairs, that's UPSTAIRS.

I'm not upstairs, I'm downstairs.

If it'll make you happy I'll send a child.

Some people, it's all me me me. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here