Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Anyone got any experience of wrapping bars? Any tips you can send around the world?

Yeah I have and I still can't do it

This time last year, I rebuilt that whole bike, from scrap.
The last thing was bar tape and I just couldn't do it.

There's plenty of you tube videos about.
I think it was the Liquigas fella who does the bike in about 30 secs, not very helpful!.

Patience is my tip, and an acceptance that you won't get it perfect. I've worked with mechanics who have been doing it decades and are still rubbish at it.

Buy two sets of tape too if it is your first ever attempt, it is nice to have a safety net.

Get some electrical tap for the end, do not use the stupid stickers they give you with the tape as they are useless.

Stretch it pretty tight as you go and overlap by about a third, remember to wrap it so your hands are pulling it tighter when you are pulling on the bars, if you go the other way every time you put your hands down you are helping to unravel it. With this in mind buy a tape that has a bit of stretch in it, my favourite is the Bontrager tape but most are similar.

Make sure you have scissors to hand as it is annoying to wrap your bars then have no way to cut the tape, then watch it unravel as you step away.

Have someone else nearby to 'put their finger there' :blush:

Use a pretty colour that matches your bike (not celeste though, SB :rolleyes:).

I'm pretty good at it now, as it is my favourite job on a bike, mine gets changed far more thatn the amount of miles I do warrants.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Patience is my tip, and an acceptance that you won't get it perfect. I've worked with mechanics who have been doing it decades and are still rubbish at it.

Buy two sets of tape too if it is your first ever attempt, it is nice to have a safety net.

Get some electrical tap for the end, do not use the stupid stickers they give you with the tape as they are useless.

Stretch it pretty tight as you go and overlap by about a third, remember to wrap it so your hands are pulling it tighter when you are pulling on the bars, if you go the other way every time you put your hands down you are helping to unravel it. With this in mind buy a tape that has a bit of stretch in it, my favourite is the Bontrager tape but most are similar.

Make sure you have scissors to hand as it is annoying to wrap your bars then have no way to cut the tape, then watch it unravel as you step away.

Have someone else nearby to 'put their finger there' :blush:

[I]Use a pretty colour that matches your bike (not celeste though, SB :rolleyes:).[/I]

I'm pretty good at it now, as it is my favourite job on a bike, mine gets changed far more thatn the amount of miles I do warrants.
Bollox :lol:

I was going to agree with all you said, with the proviso that I still can't do it.
But you are clearly talking out of your arse :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Will this thread get swamped in just 3 weeks of Le Tour?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My tip is if you can't do it, get Mrs Woodchip to try, all the while telling her how to do it as per Pantani's reply.

People love being told how to do something they clearly can't do themselves.

Last edited:

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Will this thread get swamped in just 3 weeks of Le Tour?

I'm not sure even if Wiggins wins the tour we will get to the level of interest in cycling that is so much more apparent in the rest of Europe. Look at the great success of our track cyclists and while interest has increased it still feels a marginalised sport. I would be surprised if the average NSC fan cares that much about cycling.

On another note I found this tonight, made me laugh

18 Miles Per Hour | Universal Truths Of Cycling

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Yeah - wrapping bar tape - I still can't do it.

Also, if you want your road bike to look 'euro', bar tape should always, always be white. However, lets face it, black tape saves a lot of cleaning...

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Yeah - wrapping bar tape - I still can't do it.

Also, if you want your road bike to look 'euro', bar tape should always, always be white. However, lets face it, black tape saves a lot of cleaning...

White tape is nearly as bad as celeste...

Has he gone to bed yet?

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Blimey Mani, calm down!!

There are few pics littered around the cycling threads, certainly not enough, so post away.

i will keep it brief this time then!
anyway, here is the bike as it looked in the shop. it has since had a new chain and rear cassette.
from old PDF brochures on the Koga website i reckon it to be 1979.

Screen shot 2012-05-30 at 18.53.25.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
i will keep it brief this time then!
anyway, here is the bike as it looked in the shop. it has since had a new chain and rear cassette.
from old PDF brochures on the Koga website i reckon it to be 1979.

View attachment 33145

White tape is nearly as bad as celeste...

Has he gone to bed yet?
Lovely piece of retro classic there Mani, and you know what would make it shine...

...Celeste bar tape!

To upgrade would be like going from an Austin Allegro to a Merc.

To give up on that classic would be a crime.
I for one won't help you shopping if you're just going to consign it to the back of the shed. :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just to pi$$ [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] off, this was my restoration project a year ago :ohmy:.
With Celeste bar tape.

I'm not apologising for showing it off AGAIN, cos I'm well proud of the job it did! so ner ner neer ner ner.

Attachments

• laneys 5 birthday glasto albion 008.jpg
    laneys 5 birthday glasto albion 008.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Lovely piece of retro classic there Mani, and you know what would make it shine...

...Celeste bar tape!

To upgrade would be like going from an Austin Allegro to a Merc.

To give up on that classic would be a crime.
I for one won't help you shopping if you're just going to consign it to the back of the shed. :lol:

Fear not, i don't even have a shed. my flat mate has been warned already that a second bike will soon be parked in the spare room.

I ride this bike every day to work and will continue to do so. Did 25 miles on it the other night after work and it was fine, but i have been seduced by the modern charms too.

unfortunately, however, i think the celeste would clash somewhat with the frame. nice work on your project though.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Apparently they said they would only take Andy and not Frank so it fell through.

Would have thought Frank may have fitted in well. its odd they feel the need to be on the same team, you would have thought at the top of professional sport its about getting the team fit. Wonder if Astana felt that Andy could have delivered without his brother.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't apologise.

You never had a chance anyway. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here