Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Superb from Wiggins there.

And hat to young Dombrowski, that was a supreme effort from him as well.

Oh, and Adam Yates. Those Greenedge boys are really laying the smack down to the rest of the peloton at the moment.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Well this has been a great week and a bit being an OGE fan. None of the big names some of the other teams have in their sqauds but they keep getting the job done. Having said that, is it me or does Esteban Chaves have a "lady" face?

1795250_738183362900195_7403363891700093622_o.jpg

Last edited:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
As you mention Basso. I've been keeping watch on his times and note that that's two days on the trot now that he's come in as last man in the GC front group. Smart riding from the veteran or just hanging on by the skin of his teeth even at these very early stages? Can he diesel his way to a podium spot I wonder? I highly doubt it, but a Top 5 wouldn't surprise perhaps?, given that Purito has sadly freed up one spot already.

Back to our man Basso, not exactly in bullish mood is he.

“Like if I’ve said from the start of the Giro, I don’t feel like I’m at the same level of the best riders. I still haven’t felt the sensations that you need to be up there with the best riders but I hope that will improve as the days pass.”

On the Montecassino climb “I actually didn’t feel good because I started the climb from a long way back, I had to go hard from the bottom and it wasn’t easy to make up ground. I suffered a lot”.

I predict a 34th place finish for Basso today if the climbers go for it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Back to our man Basso, not exactly in bullish mood is he.

“Like if I’ve said from the start of the Giro, I don’t feel like I’m at the same level of the best riders. I still haven’t felt the sensations that you need to be up there with the best riders but I hope that will improve as the days pass.”

On the Montecassino climb “I actually didn’t feel good because I started the climb from a long way back, I had to go hard from the bottom and it wasn’t easy to make up ground. I suffered a lot”.

I predict a 34th place finish for Basso today if the climbers go for it.

Well the old timer is looking ok so far. He struggled the other day because of the crash I think.

Scarponi on the other hand is struggling. Must be the crash effects catching up with him. He looks to be the one to have come out of the mayhem on Thursday worst of all.

On the plus side, Arredondo has clearly fully recovered and is now an angry man intent on stage hunting. Result! :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No spoilers - I'll talk about the stage later.

Watch back as much as you can of today's stage - it was a belter! Best watched from a good 50km out if you can, before the Cippo di Carpegna climb.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I only caught the last 10 kms.

After resurrecting 'tact-gate' I thought Rolland was a sure winner.

It would seem Cadel was textbook once again, and all smiles at the end.
Another nice ride by Ulissi.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I can't believe [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] hasn't given us our own little bicycle prefixid.

:lol: I did notice the new little icon thingies and was wondering if we'd get one as I scrolled down the page looking for our thread. Sad but true.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lol: I did notice the new little icon thingies and was wondering if we'd get one as I scrolled down the page looking for our thread. Sad but true.
I've put in an official complaint.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With Nairo being justifiably even money, and Evans inexplicably 15/8 there's so big each way odds floating around the Giro.

Is Wilco a mountain goat or just lumpy classics.
I only like him because of his name, Wilco.
40/1

Aru :shrug: 50/1

Even Ryder is 100/1 while Basso is just 66/1.

I seem to remember Monfort being used as bait by a Schleck on a massive alpine escape.
Didn't MM go off like the clappers then pull the escaping Schleck up a mountain once?

Monfort only interests me as he is Mr Lotto and must have GC free reign.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
With Nairo being justifiably even money, and Evans inexplicably 15/8 there's so big each way odds floating around the Giro.

Is Wilco a mountain goat or just lumpy classics.
I only like him because of his name, Wilco.
40/1

Aru :shrug: 50/1

Even Ryder is 100/1 while Basso is just 66/1.

I seem to remember Monfort being used as bait by a Schleck on a massive alpine escape.
Didn't MM go off like the clappers then pull the escaping Schleck up a mountain once?

Monfort only interests me as he is Mr Lotto and must have GC free reign.

I can't make head nor tail of your post I'm afraid. Random musings on outsiders for GC I presume?

I've been looking for breakaway possibilities for the stage win tomorrow as I've yet to do a stage bet. I'm yet to have even half a clue as to who to go for, maybe because there's every chance it will go the same way as today.

Meanwhile......where is everyone? Was hoping to see what people thought of today's stage as I think it throws up some interesting questions.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
On holiday in Cornwall now.... Giro viewing much curtailed!

Well that's bloody inconsiderate of you! Have a think next time, eh.

:jester:

Hope you're having a lovely time. Good weather for it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Right, had a think about it, and if WH get their finger out and offer stage odds then I'm taking Weening for tomorrow (currently 40/1 on PP). Just a hunch, no further research done as yet.

The team have had their fun in pink and might now shift focus to stage wins, with all objectives achieved thus far. As Tyrone says, they've had a knack of getting great results from all sorts of races so far this season. Weening is no mug going uphill and strong enough to take a win from the break if GC don't get too lively.

EDit: Tight barstewards. 33/1 for Weening on WH.

Last edited:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Right, had a think about it, and if WH get their finger out and offer stage odds then I'm taking Weening for tomorrow (currently 40/1 on PP). Just a hunch, no further research done as yet.

The team have had their fun in pink and might now shift focus to stage wins, with all objectives achieved thus far. As Tyrone says, they've had a knack of getting great results from all sorts of races so far this season. Weening is no mug going uphill and strong enough to take a win from the break if GC don't get too lively.

Good chance if he stops following the pierre rolland school of attacking!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good chance if he stops following the pierre rolland school of attacking!

To be honest I thought it was a very good effort from Rolland today. Was working out quite well what with team mate Quemeneur up the road and able to give him a good helping hand when he reached him. I was hoping he'd take the win once it was clear that Arredondo was cooked.

I know what you mean though. In hindsight, he might have been better getting a free ride in the GC group from AG2R today and attacking later on.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Poxy Eurospurt again.

Been manic for me of late, so naff all chance to follow the Giro. Too many late nights enjoying the Cali making up for it.

Funny ride this morning, just couldn't get firing. Even dropping to granny gear approaching a climb wasn't enough. Not all bad, 28 miles covered despite the lack of stomach.

If you haven't linked strava to veloviewer, do it. Much better analyses. Grim to discover I'm at 50% of where I was this time last year though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't make head nor tail of your post I'm afraid. Random musings on outsiders for GC I presume?

I've been looking for breakaway possibilities for the stage win tomorrow as I've yet to do a stage bet. I'm yet to have even half a clue as to who to go for, maybe because there's every chance it will go the same way as today.

Meanwhile......where is everyone? Was hoping to see what people thought of today's stage as I think it throws up some interesting questions.
I didn't think it was the worst jibberish I've written.

Who's going to be behind NQ on the podium?

There's some decent riders given some very long odds just because Nairo has it won (fair enough) and Evans will roll in second (well we all know what all the Geeks think of that).

I think third (each way) spot, behind Quintana Uran is very much up for grabs, but by whom?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I didn't think it was the worst jibberish I've written.

Who's going to be behind NQ on the podium?

There's some decent riders given some very long odds just because Nairo has it won (fair enough) and Evans will roll in second (well we all know what all the Geeks think of that).

I think third (each way) spot, behind Quintana Uran is very much up for grabs, but by whom?

Well for me I still think Evans has a very good chance of that 3rd spot. As I said before, I think it's between him, Pozzo, Majka. Having said that, I was very disappointed with Pozzo today, and not overly impressed by Majka either. AG2R done all of BMC's work for them for some strange reason. I could only think it was because they were lining Pozzo up for the attack and that's why they were desperate to bring it all back - but then what does Pozzo do? - nothing! In fact Majka did have a dig but that fizzled out rapidly.

I'm not as 110% convinced by Quintana walking this as I was. Movistar burnt out pretty quickly today which surprised me, but then again a Quintana, isolated and not firing on all cylinders, still managed to nick 2 seconds off of Evans and more off the rest, so probably still nailed on. Team wise I think BMC and AG2R look like they could be fairly strong, but AG2R need to be careful not to use up the likes of the talented Vuillermoz too early. Anyway, way too early to read too much into today, except that my Scarponi 4th place prediction (depending how he came out of Thursdays crash) has been well and truly answered.

Breakaway update. Given in and topped up PP so I can get Weening at 40's. For old times sake, WH had best odds on Rubiano @ 100/1. No team Colombia rider left in GC now after Duarte blowing up today, so it's stage wins all the way for any of them now. I'm not hopeful, but keeps things interesting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here