Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I also put it down to attitudes. I think there's a harder edge to the English speaking riders when it gets down to the nitty gritty.

You don't win two world wars by being powder puffs!

Not sure about that, cycling is probably less brutal than it's ever been.

I think it's to do with breaking from tradition and having a different perspective on performance gains. Once there's a critical mass and you don't have to go through the antiquated French or Belgian amateur scene then things take off.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Definitely soft in those days!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1400230133717.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1400230133717.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 78

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My new (old 1958) ride.

View attachment 53843

Why the hell don't attachments ever work for me. :eek:
If you're going to attach 'go advanced' first then carry on as normal.
Or if you're uploading an attachment from your computer use 'basic loader' in the bottom right hand corner.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm finding America quite intriguing, and not just Tour of California.

Totally removing Lance et al from the equation, for a moment, it seems like America has the feel of the UK 5-10 years ago.
- Cycling appears to be less of a joke.
- Petrol prices have massively increased (from nothing to still considerably less than what we pay!!)
- Crits and sportives are appearing.
- Although still not touched by mainstream media, there appears to be healthy print media.
- (go with me on this one) Golf, now we're entering the post Tiger/Phil era, young and middle aged Americans are running away from golf, as fast as their fat little legs will carry them.

Clearly MLS & FIFA would like that potential void filled by soccerball, but I wouldn't count cycling out.

The only question is how?
We had the Olympics quickly followed by Le Tour.
It would seem unlike Garmin will light the fuse, as they haven't yet.
But there's plenty of young US talent in the peloton, if one of them can step up (Taylor), I can see America getting cycling big time.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
But there's plenty of young US talent in the peloton, if one of them can step up (Taylor), I can see America getting cycling big time.

America loves bicycles. I'd say their vintage bike market is the biggest in the world for amounts spent and market popularity.

It seems more tied in with their industrial past and sentimentality growing up though than their cycling history.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bit of a classic you've got there, Ty.

Loving the ornate work around the head tube.

Not sure about that, cycling is probably less brutal than it's ever been.

I think it's to do with breaking from tradition and having a different perspective on performance gains. Once there's a critical mass and you don't have to go through the antiquated French or Belgian amateur scene then things take off.
Critical Mass is a recruitment programme for world class pro cycling teams?

You learn something new every day.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Critical Mass is a recruitment programme for world class pro cycling teams?

You learn something new every day.
It is when the alternative is rocking up at some desolate hell hole, being treated like a dog by an overbearing fat man, who says you have no place being there and should go home.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Yeah, I've been drawn into late nights watching the Cali action. Last night was great, long climb and long descent. Agree about the place at the end, looked lovely. Mrs M has a cousin moving there - easy to see why - and her parents were there for a few days on their hols and loved it. *******s.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Yeah, I've been drawn into late nights watching the Cali action. Last night was great, long climb and long descent. Agree about the place at the end, looked lovely. Mrs M has a cousin moving there - easy to see why - and her parents were there for a few days on their hols and loved it. *******s.

Friends got married in santa Barbara, was lovely - great beach and seemed to be a lot of cyclists around.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'd love to spend some time there. People keep telling me to go to New York. Stuff that idea.
[MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] going at at like a traction engine today. Again. :bowdown:

Off to do a bit of bike cleaning.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Anyone watching? Brad will do well to hang on with his team not managing to help him much thus far in the mountains.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Getting pretty interesting now. Two Garmin's up the road, Brad with plenty of team mates but they are not really closing the gap.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'd love to spend some time there. People keep telling me to go to New York. Stuff that idea.

[MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] going at at like a traction engine today. Again. :bowdown:

Off to do a bit of bike cleaning.

Gotta say, Moto, go to New York. Wonderful place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here