Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's materialised quite a few times!

Suppose last year he plodded through as others fell by the wayside!

I might be rewriting history here, but I'm not convinced we've collectively predicted an Evans meltdown.
What you describe would seem to be standard fair for an Evans Grand Tour challenge.

Get as much and he can, as early as he can, then try and hold on.

Invariably there's always been someone, climbier, druggier, or youngerer that pips the diesel.
I guess, in the past, that then may induced a meltdown, but as it stands it would appear we are heading for textbook Cadel.

I've checked back on his results from the last few years as my memory is shocking (although I remember clearly the tack incident you two talked about, and yes it was a go slow ordered by Wiggins in Wiggins' Tour year). It seems I must have last years Evans' hanging on Giro performance fresh in my mind.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Three years ago...

One year ago we were predicting it and he did. 1:30 back on Nibali and 1:20 up on Uran before the Mountain time trial.

He lost 2:36 to Nibali and 1:10 to Uran at the time trial.

Next stage was cancelled, then on the final mountain stage he lost 1:30 to Nibali and 1:11 to Uran. Ending up in 3rd, 5:52 down on Nibali and 1:09 down on Uran.

If not quite blowing up he certainly blew his second place and could have blown his podium spot too. I think this will happen again.

I'm fancying a punt on a podium spot for one of the lesser lights. Maybe Majka, or Pozzovivo

Well done, beat me too it, I was too busy last week to have a proper look at putting any bets on. Scarponi just keeps going doesn't he? He has come 4th in the Giro three times already!

And you beat me to it with a much better memory of last years Giro than me :blush:

Agreed on Scarponi. He'll be there or thereabouts I reckon, and fair play to him, will have one or two proper digs at some point too.

Got Pozzo @ 25's and Majka @ 40's. Could have got Majka at 50's on PP but had already ran dry there using the last gubbings up on Pozzo, and in some bad linking up and impulse betting backed Majka on WH instead :(

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
And you beat me to it with a much better memory of last years Giro than me :blush:

Agreed on Scarponi. He'll be there or thereabouts I reckon, and fair play to him, will have one or two proper digs at some point too.

Got Pozzo @ 25's and Majka @ 40's. Could have got Majka at 50's on PP but had already ran dry there using the last gubbings up on Pozzo, and in some bad linking up and impulse betting backed Majka on WH instead :(

Not bad, especially Majka. Pozzo always seems to have a bad day at some point. There's one other who I have my eye on but trying to keep him as a secret weapon for Fantasy purposes, so won't be mentioning him :wink:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Jesus. I've just watched that stage 'as live'. Harrowing stuff.

It has now finished, and it's over to live coverage of the Tour of California. Gorgeous weather, beautiful surroundings. I know where I would rather be.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Jesus. I've just watched that stage 'as live'. Harrowing stuff.

It has now finished, and it's over to live coverage of the Tour of California. Gorgeous weather, beautiful surroundings. I know where I would rather be.

Yep, Italy.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not bad, especially Majka. Pozzo always seems to have a bad day at some point. There's one other who I have my eye on but trying to keep him as a secret weapon for Fantasy purposes, so won't be mentioning him :wink:

I agree on Pozzo. Just when you think he'll fly up something super steep he can have a tendency to flop instead.

However, did a bit of digging with that in mind before backing him and it seems illness and injuries may have been responsible previously, and also I was massively impressed by the way he rode in Roma Maxima and how he seems to have kept on target for this Giro since.

As for keeping fantasy secrets...you can tell me now, and both minis are in purists only so I could tell them as well without any harm done :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A good half of the GC top 50 have got to be looking at the podium, now, all the time Evans is on it.

It's just a question of making the right move, getting away and making it stick. (nothing new there)

But we all know when NQ is going to go, Uran plus 3 or 4 have to wait for then.
In the meantime, Ryder, Wilco, Morano, Monfort, Cataldo and so on, all freed from team duties can possibly claw back handfuls of time without being strangled by 1 or 2 dominant teams.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
A good half of the GC top 50 have got to be looking at the podium, now, all the time Evans is on it.

It's just a question of making the right move, getting away and making it stick. (nothing new there)

But we all know when NQ is going to go, Uran plus 3 or 4 have to wait for then.
In the meantime, Ryder, Wilco, Morano, Monfort, Cataldo and so on, all freed from team duties can possibly claw back handfuls of time without being strangled by 1 or 2 dominant teams.

Could make the race a bit more interesting. As long as we don't lose too many more.

Oh, and go Phinney!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ooooh, here we go.....Phinney going for one of his off the front specials :) Be amazing if he pulls this one off!

Got to love the way him and Martin go for these from time to time.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Come on Taylor! 45 seconds ahead now.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
He's going to bloody do this! :clap:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Superb, loved that. Chapeau, young Taylor. Glad I stayed up.

Seconded. :)

That must be about his 3rd win like this in the past few seasons.

Remember this one? One of the most exciting finishes I've seen.

[yt]_Af8qs38-K4[/yt]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]467139622796296192[/tweet]

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
[tweet]467139622796296192[/tweet]

That was brilliant. I went to bed before the climb last night, but got up early to watch it this morning. I had to come on here to tell you lot about it - but I see you are all all over it already. And Santa Barbara looks well worth a visit too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here