Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
oh I'm so angry I was just about to swear, on NSC.

I bloody well called that at 9am, and didn't see it through. Arse.

Bouhanni should invest in a lottery ticket today. You won't get an easier grand tour stage win than that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bouhanni should invest in a lottery ticket today. You won't get an easier grand tour stage win than that.
The only saving grace from today is that of all the 'other' favourites Boohoohanni was the one I was least likely to bet on.

***MESSAGE TO GEEKS***
The commentator said Mathews told Aussie media he was targeting tomorrows stage.
That does make more sense as the profile shows it to be lumpy, and I'm reminded of Mathews chasing Gilbert in that mid week Ardennes race.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looked like the giro on ice today!
I started this Giro commenting on our northern European 'heavy' roads, and once again pictures speak louder than words.

Even when they weren't racing propelling the bike forward seemed so much easier than Sunday.
Staying upright on in the wet, less so.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

I wouldn't say it was easy. Didn't he come off his bike and had to chase back into the peleton?

Was a bit like Robbie McEwans TDF stage win when he fell off with 10km of a stage to go but got back on the bike and came back to win the stage.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I wouldn't say it was easy. Didn't he come off his bike and had to chase back into the peleton?

Was a bit like Robbie McEwans TDF stage win when he fell off with 10km of a stage to go but got back on the bike and came back to win the stage.

He did, then everyone else fell off with less than two km to go and he ended up sprinting against Mezgec's lead out man who was totally cooked with 200m to go. He basically did not race anyone for that last 2km. I suppose he chose the right time to fall off...

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
He did, then everyone else fell off with less than two km to go and he ended up sprinting against Mezgec's lead out man who was totally cooked with 200m to go. He basically did not race anyone for that last 2km. I suppose he chose the right time to fall off...

This!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'll try and watch some Giro later.

Enjoyed the live action last night. I'd like to see a longer TT one day, much longer.

The Garminge has really opened my eyes. As much as I love a slog up a hill, I've got a lot to do, but with that device I feel I can do better.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I'll try and watch some Giro later.

Enjoyed the live action last night. I'd like to see a longer TT one day, much longer.

The Garminge has really opened my eyes. As much as I love a slog up a hill, I've got a lot to do, but with that device I feel I can do better.

We should head back to the 80km TTs of days gone by with anquetil winning by 5 minutes!

I've got a garmin coming for the birthday - fortunately as garmin is based in Southampton, a mate of a mate can get the 810 with cadence for £140!

Edit: just read that anquetil won the grand prix des nations (unofficial world champion back then) 9 times over a 142km course!!

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
We should head back to the 80km TTs of days gone by with anquetil winning by 5 minutes!

I've got a garmin coming for the birthday - fortunately as garmin is based in Southampton, a mate of a mate can get the 810 with cadence for £140!

1. Yes please.

2. You jammy sod.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

But Nizzolo, Veelers and Ferrari were all ahead of Bouhanni before the final bend at 200m to go. Even Viviani wasn't completely out of it at that point. All very capable of taking the win today in that finale at that point. But Bouhanni then beat them all to the bend.

Really Mezgec threw that away but I think many underestimate just what a fighter Bouhanni is. Often makes lumps in the road that other pure sprinters struggle with too. Despite SB's Boo Hoo tag, I think Bouhanni has a lot of guts and will dig in even when the odds are against him (agreed that the odds where actually massively in his favour today mind).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But Nizzolo, Veelers and Ferrari were all ahead of Bouhanni before the final bend at 200m to go. Even Viviani wasn't completely out of it at that point. All very capable of taking the win today in that finale at that point. But Bouhanni then beat them all to the bend.

Really Mezgec threw that away but I think many underestimate just what a fighter Bouhanni is. Often makes lumps in the road that other pure sprinters struggle with too. Despite SB's Boo Hoo tag, I think Bouhanni has a lot of guts and will dig in even when the odds are against him (agreed that the odds where actually massively in his favour today mind).
I thought Mezgec had some kind of mechanical issue on the apex of the bend.
It certainly was Giant's to lose what with there 'last man standing' 4 man chain.

After that flurry of spills the finish had a non-competitive feeling about it.
Giant's supremacy in numbers adding to that.
Fair play to NB for keeping on going and sniffing out an unlikely win esp considering the punctures that distanced him around 12kms.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Edit: just read that anquetil won the grand prix des nations (unofficial world champion back then) 9 times over a 142km course!!
Have you read Anquetil's biopic Sex Lies and Handlebar Tape by Paul Howard.
It's a great read with the 'sex' aspect being more than a little disturbing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess the inside scoop broadcast across all of Europe isn't as secret as I'd hoped.

Mathews early listings for tomorrow are 6 or 7/1.
Ulissi just shaves the fav odds.

I was hoping for double figures.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I guess the inside scoop broadcast across all of Europe isn't as secret as I'd hoped.

Mathews early listings for tomorrow are 6 or 7/1.
Ulissi just shaves the fav odds.

I was hoping for double figures.

The interesting question is whether or not the GC lot will show their hand for the bonus seconds for the stage win.

Just for you SB I'm tempted to offer up Evans as my top tip :)

I'm not betting, but Uran, also at 14's, might have tempted me if GC do get lively. The big puncheurs aren't here, so it's wide open.

If Battaglin and Felline had better form then they'd be good shouts at 20 & 22/1.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For reasons unknown Battlecat caught my eye and i thought of you.

Its the sort of day Evans might fancy, his strategy is definitely seconds on the board early.
Astanas Enrico Gasparotto (sp) nipped into my fantasy team, Astana have to be looking at stage wins.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How to make cycling even more televisual in one move:-

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I had a bit of a 'moment' when showing a mate the above footage this morning.

The Tour of California.
On bike footage.
Shown to a postie, in West Sussex.
In HD quality.
With sound.
On a telephone.
48 hours later.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FFS :angry:

My run of predicting the previous days winner, actually winning the next day, continues.

Nasty nasty crashes.
In a break from the norm I think Evans was right to ride off as hard as he possibly could.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here