Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Big winds as well, though you are correct. Talking of Corsica I will be there in a few weeks, along with the bike :thumbsup:

Oh and 1,2,4,7,8,9 and 12. I gambled on no picks for the TTT concentrating on as many sprinters as possible for today.

I can't believe you didn't have Nizzolo in your team. Schoolboy error there.

:jester:

As for Corsica - you lucky thing! I'm certainly jealous of that one as it looked stunning on last years TdF and the hilly terrain should make for brilliant riding. Have a great time down there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Big winds as well, though you are correct. Talking of Corsica I will be there in a few weeks, along with the bike :thumbsup:

Oh and 1,2,4,7,8,9 and 12. I gambled on no picks for the TTT concentrating on as many sprinters as possible for today.
Oh blimey, Corsica looked spectacular for cycling last summer.

Have a great trip.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Kittel was even money favourite to win today with nobody else anywhere near in the odds. How does that work? ???
Who won?, that's how.

Kittel, Griepel, and Cav are Champions League finalists.
Vivani and a couple of others are Southampton, Newcastle, West Ham.
The next tier below those guys are Championship, at best (when compared to the big 3_

Kittel is the only big boy riding, he'll be odds on in all sprints.
He won't win them all, but I still wouldn't bet against him hoping 'today's the day' he misses out.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Who won?, that's how.

Kittel, Griepel, and Cav are Champions League finalists.
Vivani and a couple of others are Southampton, Newcastle, West Ham.
The next tier below those guys are Championship, at best (when compared to the big 3_

Kittel is the only big boy riding, he'll be odds on in all sprints.
He won't win them all, but I still wouldn't bet against him hoping 'today's the day' he misses out.

Ah, right, cheers :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Kittel was even money favourite to win today with nobody else anywhere near in the odds. How does that work? ???
Playing the percentages Viviani @ 7/1 (while Kittel is still in the race) is a good bet.
http://www.skybet.com/cycling/giro-d'italia/event/16529433

There's only 5 more sprint stages left (not that I've looked at the route) and Viv will win a stage.

So you should make money.

I don't think there's a place for odds-on in pro cycling, because anything can happen, and more importantly frequently does.
But even with all that said, I'll not be betting against Kittel.

The first stage of Le Tour, a sprint into Harrogate has:-
Cav - 6/4
Kittel - 9/4
Griepel - 11/2.

I think there's a little bit of jingoist heart ruling head there, not to mention the weight of bets on Cav from the non-geeks.
It wouldn't surprised me if the Kittel/Cav odds are reversed on the continent.
http://www.skybet.com/cycling/tour-de-france

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I stuck £10 on Dan Martin E/W for the Tour as soon as he hit the deck yesterday. He was 150/1.

Anyone been watching the 4 Days of Dunkirk? Its been mental windy.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I stuck £10 on Dan Martin E/W for the Tour as soon as he hit the deck yesterday. He was 150/1.

Yep, good racing from what I saw of today (last 20km). Nice one two attack from Giant- Shimano to set up the win for Hupond. With Arndt taking second place as well it's been a cracking day for that team when you add in the Giro result.

Hopefully Chavanel will have another dig tomorrow, but it would take something major for Démare to lose it now.

Edit: Just checked the profile for tomorrow. Perhaps Chavanel won't even bother. It's game over barring crashes, unless there's any boni seconds to be had along the way?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

With my skill of predicting the winner a race early, I'd normally agree.

But Froome and Contador already have first and second covered.
Nibali isn't going to get beaten out by Martin or any of the other second tier riders.

I do think the tour is going to be great watching and a proper battle, but they'll be no room for chancers at the top table.

Leading me to wonder about the course and who's favourite for the Vuelta.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Leading me to wonder about the course and who's favourite for the Vuelta.

Purito's swansong?

Doesn't necessarily tell the whole story, but some very brief parcours info:

Summit finishes =

Giro 5
TdF 6
Vuelta 8

I think IL has the prediction nailed already :thumbsup:

Edit: Looking a tad closer, I think steephill have the summit finishes wrong for the Giro. There's a few more than 5 it seems. Anyway, point stands - Vuelta will be tailor made for Purito again.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Talking of mental windy, I cycled into town last night, from Hove Lagoon I basically unzipped my jacket held it out wide and got blown all the way to Black Lion Street! Hilarious.

The return journey (after a couple of Guinness....:drink:) was brilliant in the sheer folly of peddling along the flat as if going up Ditchling Beacon. The sea looked awesome though under the fullish moon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My third attempt at explaining happens to be the most eloquent:-

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Even though we've all seen the end result, this is still 'must watch' geek film:-

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In the unlikely event of Kittel not winning there's some big money to be made:-

Viviani - 7/1, would appear to be a sound bet.
Boohoohanni - 7/1, I'd rather put my money on the Cav conquering Viviani.
Swift(y) - 10/1, his and the teams Dublin performance would seem to make those odds generous.
Chicchi - 16/1, no thanks.
Nizzolo - 16/1, you don't get to be a [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION] favoured rider by being ploppy.
Mathews - 20/1, included as it's likely to be his last day in Pink, that can do things to a rider.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
In the unlikely event of Kittel not winning there's some big money to be made:-

Viviani - 7/1, would appear to be a sound bet.
Boohoohanni - 7/1, I'd rather put my money on the Cav conquering Viviani.
Swift(y) - 10/1, his and the teams Dublin performance would seem to make those odds generous.
Chicchi - 16/1, no thanks.
Nizzolo - 16/1, you don't get to be a [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION] favoured rider by being ploppy.
Mathews - 20/1, included as it's likely to be his last day in Pink, that can do things to a rider.

The way Kittel and Giant have been performing in the lead out train, they're going to give him too much to do in some of these sprint stages. I haven't looked specifically but the Giro love throwing in some road furniture/bends etcs close to the finish and that will hamper him.

Also, we used to see it with Cav that no other team would work if there is someone so much faster than the rest. They take the risk and make Giant do all the work.

Saw some of the ToC TT last night - not exactly stunning scenery, looked more like something [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] would be doing at 6am on a Sunday morning! Though 32.2mph average on a rolling course is pretty impressive from Wiggins!

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Ha ha! Add in some rain and hgvs and knock off 5mph and and you're there! I thought exactly the same thing while I was watching it - think that equates to a sub-19m ten, but over 1.25 times the distance! Quite a ride. Just seen kittels abandoned - should make the sprints more interesting. Swifty today?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Ha ha! Add in some rain and hgvs and knock off 5mph and and you're there! I thought exactly the same thing while I was watching it - think that equates to a sub-19m ten, but over 1.25 times the distance! Quite a ride. Just seen kittels abandoned - should make the sprints more interesting. Swifty today?

Yep, thats an 18.30!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just seen kittels abandoned - should make the sprints more interesting. Swifty today?
oh I'm so angry I was just about to swear, on NSC.

I bloody well called that at 9am, and didn't see it through. Arse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here