Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Cheers 10.

Oh. What advice would be give the REMF riders between us? Obviously, there will be a range of ages and abilities, but I think the distance will be a challenge - as it should be really. So using my routine as a base, edit away:

Brekkies - dioralyte drink, banana, porridge and 2 cups of black coffee

En route - 2 bottles of squash / water and 2 Nakd bars (1 every 15-20 miles) - and eat drink 3 miles before a climb, especially the Beacon

Finish - milk shake

Generally, - better to eat and drink before you feel hungry or thirsty.

Then finish off your bottles within an hour or 2.

I think a rest/break is planned too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cheers 10.

Oh. What advice would be give the REMF riders between us? Obviously, there will be a range of ages and abilities, but I think the distance will be a challenge - as it should be really. So using my routine as a base, edit away:

Brekkies - dioralyte drink, banana, porridge and 2 cups of black coffee

En route - 2 bottles of squash / water and 2 Nakd bars (1 every 15-20 miles) - and eat drink 3 miles before a climb, especially the Beacon

Finish - milk shake

Generally, - better to eat and drink before you feel hungry or thirsty.

Then finish off your bottles within an hour or 2.

I think a rest/break is planned too.
Looks like the boy has learned good.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As expected, big strong break up the road early doors. With 40 kms gone, they have 4:24 so far:

Jose Joao Mendes (157), David Arroyo (61), Andriy Grivko (34), Vasil Kiryienka (194), Rinaldo Nocentini (19), Jacob Fuglsang (33), Juan Jose Oroz (97), Serge Pauwels (165), Jan Barta (152), Bauke Mollema (41), Juan Antonio Flecha (214), Rafael Valls Ferri (218), Nicolas Edet (84), Antonio Piedra (67), Maciej Paterski (76), Carlos Alberto Betancur (13), Dominik Nerz (56), Francis De Greef (142), Juan Manuel Garate (45), Jerome Coppel (81), Kenny Elissonde (103), Johannes Frohlinger (23), Ivan Santaromita (58), Dmitry Kozontchuk (125), Angel Vicioso (129), Benat Intxausti (6), Dario Cataldo (193), Paolo Tiralongo (37), Imanol Erviti (3), Andre Cardoso (63), Jorge Azanza (93) y Diego Ulissi (139)

Biggest news from that I suppose is that Betancur is there. Could be interesting.

Edit: Betancur distracted me from even bigger news there. Three Astana riders in there, and more to the point, Nibs' right hand man. Now this could be very interesting!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm knackered.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
In other news. Is there no stopping the new wave of French cyclists? Chapeau to all of them! Exciting times ahead.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Epic racing.
There's nothing like riding through the mist to add to the atmosphere.

So much to talk about.
Astana blew it, big time.
Say/think what you like about Horner after the event but you can't help forgetting the baggage during the event.
Loved the hairpins, mentals.
FDJ - once again.
Fabulous camera work when the bike finally got past the car.
Mental fans.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Scores are up.

1066 mini(f) joint 2nd on the stage nationally. A Rodriguez for Nibali away from a stage win and a nice little tool kit prize for the 1066 household. Bloody typical!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
La Vuelta has been superb entertainment and much more enjoyable than the gimmicky coverage of Le Tour IMHO. ITV4 coverage has been excellent. Fantastic for smiley bloke Chris Horner, surey the recipient of more tests and anal probes in the past three weeks than any cyclist in the history of cycling :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
La Vuelta has been superb entertainment and much more enjoyable than the gimmicky coverage of Le Tour IMHO. ITV4 coverage has been excellent. Fantastic for smiley bloke Chris Horner, surey the recipient of more tests and anal probes in the past three weeks than any cyclist in the history of cycling :lol:

As SB says, epic racing today, if you can put the doubts over smiley bloke to one side. Hats off to Nibali for making a thriller of it today, and what a ride by Elissonde!

Don't forget to pick your ToB team tonight as that starts tomorrow, and ITV4 will have every stage live (except stage 1) and a highlights programme each evening too. Happy days.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Okay chaps. A couple of months ago, I spoke to a chap who lives in sort of Midhurst I think who went out with a mate to Portsmouth, ferried over to the IOW, did a sort of lap before ferrying and riding back. Took him the best part of a whole day and I think he poodled it, but fair play I reckon it was 120+ miles. Then Hamilton reckoned I could make a jump to a sportive. It got me thinking. I wondered how long a ride up to the North Kent coast and home via the coast to Rye would be. Here is the profile:

qcu4.jpg

An eye watering distance, but plenty of flat. The tough bit it the middle being the lead into Dover and out the other end of Folkestone. Not so sure about the timing of that last climb. A dry day, a cushion and a relaxed attitude and I reckon I could give it a good go. The insurance being never far from a station if I break (providing its not too far from Rye if I get that far).

This is now my long term goal.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Okay chaps. A couple of months ago, I spoke to a chap who lives in sort of Midhurst I think who went out with a mate to Portsmouth, ferried over to the IOW, did a sort of lap before ferrying and riding back. Took him the best part of a whole day and I think he poodled it, but fair play I reckon it was 120+ miles. Then Hamilton reckoned I could make a jump to a sportive. It got me thinking. I wondered how long a ride up to the North Kent coast and home via the coast to Rye would be. Here is the profile:

View attachment 46974

An eye watering distance, but plenty of flat. The tough bit it the middle being the lead into Dover and out the other end of Folkestone. Not so sure about the timing of that last climb. A dry day, a cushion and a relaxed attitude and I reckon I could give it a good go. The insurance being never far from a station if I break (providing its not too far from Rye if I get that far).

This is now my long term goal.

Can't you google map it and get a distance that way? That's what I tend to do.

But doesn't that profile say 174.8 km anyway? What distance are your regular rides at the mo?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm a follower of @velodoc and others who post the power analysis etc. There are some seriously freaky numbers coming from Horner - a couple of ascents have him at 7.0w/kg for 15 minutes!

I saw the climbing record list for L'Angliru and that doesn't make for good reading either. As was said though, some of that time can be put down to Moreno driving it hard at the bottom and then NIbs' attacks maybe, but even so.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Tour of Britain team picked:

3 Brits
2 Irish
2 Italians
1 Spaniard
1 Swiss

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
Great quote from Jens Voight on the ITV4 highlight show regarding recce runs in cycling:
"I'm old school like Horner. I don't see the point of recces. If it hurts the legs, it must be uphill. If it's fast and doesn't hurt, then it's downhill"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here