Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm a follower of @velodoc and others who post the power analysis etc. There are some seriously freaky numbers coming from Horner - a couple of ascents have him at 7.0w/kg for 15 minutes!

I saw the climbing record list for L'Angliru and that doesn't make for good reading either. As was said though, some of that time can be put down to Moreno driving it hard at the bottom and then NIbs' attacks maybe, but even so.
Far be it for me to defend Mr Horner but Dave B has sold me on the dangers of snap shot stats.
We all know the difference a day can make, for no apparent reason.

As said elsewhere no sportsman should be stupid enough to get popped at the event.
Id like to know what testing he had 2,3 or 4 months ago.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Alternatively:-

[tweet]378870780689666048[/tweet]

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Cheers 10.

Oh. What advice would be give the REMF riders between us? Obviously, there will be a range of ages and abilities, but I think the distance will be a challenge - as it should be really. So using my routine as a base, edit away:

Brekkies - dioralyte drink, banana, porridge and 2 cups of black coffee

En route - 2 bottles of squash / water and 2 Nakd bars (1 every 15-20 miles) - and eat drink 3 miles before a climb, especially the Beacon

Finish - milk shake

Generally, - better to eat and drink before you feel hungry or thirsty.

Then finish off your bottles within an hour or 2.

I think a rest/break is planned too.

Breakfast - as normal
En route - 1-2 bottles of water
Finish - bottle of water, cup of tea, bit of cake
Generally, ride faster and be home for lunch.

Old school!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not sure who's idea it is to have such narrow roads for sprint finishes in ToB but it's not their brightest idea that's for sure :nono: And are cattle grids written into the rules as mandatory too???

Meanwhile, EBH delivers spectacular failure once again over in Spain. More of those notWiggo tweets please SB if you can.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
So, the Tour of Britain has begun.

Cav was nowhere in that sprint...again. Is it all over for him, relatively speaking?

With the weather forecast as it is, tomorrow in the Lake District will sort the wheat from the chaff.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Not sure who's idea it is to have such narrow roads for sprint finishes in ToB but it's not their brightest idea that's for sure :nono: And are cattle grids written into the rules as mandatory too???

Meanwhile, EBH delivers spectacular failure once again over in Spain. More of those notWiggo tweets please SB if you can.

So, the Tour of Britain has begun.

Cav was nowhere in that sprint...again. Is it all over for him, relatively speaking?

With the weather forecast as it is, tomorrow in the Lake District will sort the wheat from the chaff.

The emergence of Matthews in this vuelta, as well as Kittel, Sagan, Viviani...Cav's got a bit of ground to get back.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The emergence of Matthews in this vuelta, as well as Kittel, Sagan, Viviani...Cav's got a bit of ground to get back.

To be honest I think I'd only just find room on the subs bench of a sprinters 11 for Matthews. Cav hasn't raced in about a month and is probably rusty. Only Kittel I would say is a serious contender to Cav still being the best sprinter in the world at the moment. Next season I reckon OPQS will have ironed out all the wrinkles in their train and deliver Cav to domination again. Remember Renshaw will be back alongside him next season for starters.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Hi again 10. I use map my ride. Its miles not kms too!

Coast2.jpg

I planned to go clockwise. I think I'll start with a return trip to Whitstable first to get my first 100 mile ride in. Quite flat, so doable I feel. Think I need new views.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
To be honest I think I'd only just find room on the subs bench of a sprinters 11 for Matthews. Cav hasn't raced in about a month and is probably rusty. Only Kittel I would say is a serious contender to Cav still being the best sprinter in the world at the moment. Next season I reckon OPQS will have ironed out all the wrinkles in their train and deliver Cav to domination again. Remember Renshaw will be back alongside him next season for starters.

I hope you're right.

But not about Matthews. I like Matthews. And Orica Greenedge.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well judging by the BBC feed, THPP had first AND third places - so got high hopes of for once not becoming hopelessly detached from the peleton earlydoors. Tho no doubt some bugger will still have somehow managed to score a couple of hundred points more than me today :moo:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I hope you're right.

But not about Matthews. I like Matthews. And Orica Greenedge.

Blimey, don't tell me you'd have Matthew Harley Goss in the first team as well :lolol:

Well played on fantasy Vuelta though. You bossed it from start to finish like a Cav in a HTC Highroad jersey :clap2:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well judging by the BBC feed, THPP had first AND third places - so got high hopes of for once not becoming hopelessly detached from the peleton earlydoors. Tho no doubt some bugger will still have somehow managed to score a couple of hundred points more than me today :moo:

Official site still not got results up. Probably still patching up the injured riders. Results up once they've finished with the first aid kit.

As I saw it:

Viviani
Petachhi
Ciolek
Modolo
IAM rider (probably Haussler but hoping it was Reichanbach)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hi again 10. I use map my ride. Its miles not kms too!

View attachment 46991

I planned to go clockwise. I think I'll start with a return trip to Whitstable first to get my first 100 mile ride in. Quite flat, so doable I feel. Think I need new views.

Blimey that's a brave attempt! Who's going to be sheltering you when the echelons form all along the coast? :lol:

The little bit up from Rye towards Northiam/Tenterden is lovely rolling terrain I can tell you that much. You'll enjoy the climb up out of Rye to the Top O the Hill pub too :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Official site still not got results up. Probably still patching up the injured riders. Results up once they've finished with the first aid kit.

As I saw it:

Viviani
Petachhi
Ciolek
Modolo

IAM rider (probably Haussler but hoping it was Reichanbach)

In that case THPP has an unprecedented THREE riders (if that be the term) out of the first four. Still expecting to be somehow soundly TROUNCED by the old pro's amongst NSC cycling cognoscenti - who no doubt have all four, plus numbers five through nine :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here