Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
6,7,8,16,20. Salvaged by some decent jersey points though I think.

Btw, wtf is Stef Clement doing beating Valverde in a sprint for minor places on that sort of stage! That's normally Valverde's dull speciality.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've managed to pull myself back into my position of Mid Table General. :rave:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My mate wanted to go to Smithfields tonight, but he left it a bit late to organise things.
I knew tonight I'd be inundated with images that would make me regret it:-

[tweet]343428817332875265[/tweet]

Maybe next year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]343456925901549568[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]343462764821483521[/tweet]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Does anyone else have this.
In looking for riders around a budget there's always one I daily check and say no too.
This race has been Van Ren and Thomas Damuseau, who I think did make it for a couple of days.

It's like these names have been highlighted or something.

For some odd reason I find myself seeing young French riders 'highlighted' when doing my selections. Especially so in French races. The same sometimes happens to young Italians in Italian races, but less so. I put this down to somehow wanting France to produce a truly great rider again as it really does seem like the home of cycling and I have an affection for the country somehow. So I've stuck with my young Frenchie for tomorrow, despite not having much hope of him doing much, and I've even brought in another one to keep him company. I must have been touched by the story of Marc Madiot staying with Elissonde today to encourage him to finish despite being sick, and Bouhanni riding with him as well to make sure they finished the stage. Guts and courage are always worth applauding.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I was ready to start slating the commentary that comes with Sky, until I thought 'well what would you say'.

It must be pretty difficult to keep the Sky talk interesting, when we all know what and how it's going to happen.

You mentioning commentary reminded me. I've been wondering about this for ages, apologies if it has been mentioned before.

Where the hell is David Harmon?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So chaps what are we thinking for Summer Tour reading.
The world and his wife have got books out, cashing in on the popularity, and the Tour's centenary.
I'd imagine Ned's follow up will get a look in.
Amazon have just told me to buy this:-

51PrbSzyzSL._SY445_.jpg

and I think they might be right.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
You mentioning commentary reminded me. I've been wondering about this for ages, apologies if it has been mentioned before.

Where the hell is David Harmon?

He has taken a few months off. He will be back on Eurosport for the Tour.

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
Morning, I'm looking to buy a new mountain bike (6-700 quid range, maybe more at a push), I like the look of the 29ers. I was looking at the Canondale SL trail (699) but have read poor reviews about the rear derailleurs and weak wheels, some have described them as style over substance.
Any advice or recommendations from your good-selves would be much appreciated, cheers.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
He has taken a few months off. He will be back on Eurosport for the Tour.

Well, I'm glad he's coming back. do you know why he had time off? I know that speculation is frowned upon...but was it stress related?

Seems a long time, and odd timing, for a holiday.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Well, I'm glad he's coming back. do you know why he had time off? I know that speculation is frowned upon...but was it stress related?

Seems a long time, and odd timing, for a holiday.

Apparently, he was quite important in Yorkshire's Grand depart bid and commentating virtually every week for twelve years he just wanted a break. Nothing serious as far as I know, and according to him at whatever was his last commentary race (Trentino?).

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Apparently, he was quite important in Yorkshire's Grand depart bid and commentating virtually every week for twelve years he just wanted a break. Nothing serious as far as I know, and according to him at whatever was his last commentary race (Trentino?).

Cheers Pantani. Good news.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Morning, I'm looking to buy a new mountain bike (6-700 quid range, maybe more at a push), I like the look of the 29ers. I was looking at the Canondale SL trail (699) but have read poor reviews about the rear derailleurs and weak wheels, some have described them as style over substance.
Any advice or recommendations from your good-selves would be much appreciated, cheers.

Wouldn't bother with a 29er myself, seems a bit pointless. They are much harder to ride up hills because of the larger wheel size, less maneuverable downhill for the same reason, they do roll smoother over small lumps and bumps but mountain bikes have suspension anyway, so what is the point.

At that price point you will definitely just want front suspension only, full sus at that price will be proper rubbish. I take it if you are looking at a 29er, you are more intending on a cross country type bike (good for riding longer distances) rather than a more downhill type MTB. I've always liked the Scott Scales and Cannondale Trails personally but that is just my opinion. Other than that the only advice I can give you, is try as many bikes as you can. You will have a whole bunch of different options and your best bet is to ride as many different bikes as you can.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Quite a few have jumped off their bikes today at the Dauphine, thus far:

Nacer Bouhanni (FDJ), Ben King (RadioShack Leopard), Thomas De Gendt (Vacaonsoleil-DCM), Nikolas Maes (Omega Pharma-QuickStep), Thor Hushovd, Ivan Santaromita (BMC), David Lopez (Sky), Sylvain Chavanel and Pieter Serry (Omega Pharma-QuickStep), Kenny Elissonde (FDJ) and Pierre Rolland (Europcar)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought P might have stepped up to the plate on this one.

Being a roadie I can only do 2 things.

Firstly ask is it actually an mountain bike, you need.
The market between the road bike and mountain bike disciplines is massive, and the biggest.
Mountain bikes are getting squeezed out of the market as people realise they aren't actually riding through mountains.

If you are after a bike to take up to the Downs and ride then away you go.

If you are after a bike to commute for 5 days, ride on towpaths along side the river etc, then go proper off roading on Sunday, a mountain bike probably isn't for you.

Oh and secondly - do you want to buy a cycling cap?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
For some odd reason I find myself seeing young French riders 'highlighted' when doing my selections. Especially so in French races. The same sometimes happens to young Italians in Italian races, but less so. I put this down to somehow wanting France to produce a truly great rider again as it really does seem like the home of cycling and I have an affection for the country somehow. So I've stuck with my young Frenchie for tomorrow, despite not having much hope of him doing much, and I've even brought in another one to keep him company. I must have been touched by the story of Marc Madiot staying with Elissonde today to encourage him to finish despite being sick, and Bouhanni riding with him as well to make sure they finished the stage. Guts and courage are always worth applauding.

Barguil looking good right now, riding Valverde off his wheel. He has gone a bit early for me though.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Stuck with annoying Aussie commentator again. At least it isn't Phil and Paul.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Contador down but looks ok. Doubt he will get any help as Saxo will have to protect Rogers. Scratch that, Paulinho has come back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here