Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Slightly off topic, and thinking ahead to our legendary Tour thread.

I'm bloody glad what I wanted to bring in, is going to happen naturally and I'm not going to look like an anal control freak.

I love reading the thread back, in the darkest depths of winter, but get a little lost as to where the race is.
I was going to start the day with the route profile and finish it with stage and GC classifiation.

My problem was always going to be doing without looking like a complete w@nker, even though I very rarely let that minor detail stop me.

Massive team changes for tomorrow with TTT in mind, will fill in the details later.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
1st, 8th, 10th & 13th for me today.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Odds of Bos and Kristoff starting tomorrow?

Funnily enough I just checked for withdrawals. None so far, but suppose we'll see in the morning. I think everyone was fine in the end weren't they ?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
All transferred up again and ready and raring to go for tomorrow. Not expecting massive things tomorrow again, bar the obvious hopefullly, but settled in nicely for the TTT now.

Oh, that reminds me, anyone know if we'll still be given two free transfers on the rest day or not? I'm banking on not, and so assuming I'll be going into TTT with 2 to play with.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
All transferred up again and ready and raring to go for tomorrow. Not expecting massive things tomorrow again, bar the obvious hopefullly, but settled in nicely for the TTT now.

Oh, that reminds me, anyone know if we'll still be given two free transfers on the rest day or not? I'm banking on not, and so assuming I'll be going into TTT with 2 to play with.

4 transfers before the TTT. Should be enough to get all you want in.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That's handy then. Thanks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
4 transfers before the TTT. Should be enough to get all you want in.
I'm (obviously) not getting my head transfers, for a 3 week tour.
I seem to be playing a long game, on my own, when it's totally unnecessary. :facepalm:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I see 4 days of Dunkirk is going to be shown on Eurosport in half an hour, I have to travel away this afternoon for work so it may have to be my cycling fix, missed Cav in the Giro yesterday was hoping to catch the highlights of that. Am i going to miss another manx missile display, todays stage in the Giro from cycling news:

May 7, Stage 3: Horsens 190km - Horsens-Horsens

190 kilometres, flat stage

Bluffers guide: Eastern Jutland is famed for its unspoilt beaches and huge skies, rather less so for its beautiful Fjords. Horsens (population just 53,000) lies on the edge of one, and it’s a magical place. The stage? Rapier quick, thrills and spills, an insanely aggressive final 10 kilometres. Hold on to your hats…

Buon appetito: For all that the Danes are big on beer and design, arguably their greatest gift to humanity is to be found down on the farm. Italians love their pancetta, but they needn’t be holding their breath here. Jutlanders only have eyes for… bacon.

Local hero: Michael Mørkøv (Saxo Bank) – Hailing from Kokkedal, 100 kilometres north of Horsens on the northern tip of the Danish peninsula, the fast-finishing Mørkov will relish today’s stage. He rates riding for Contador at the 2011 Giro as one of the most memorable experiences of his career.

Bergonzi says: “A climb! It might be Denmark’s biggest at 159 metres, average 2% gradient. Regardless, there are points for the green jersey, and so they will be fighting to get in the break. It’s a stage for attackers, but again the likelihood is that the sprinter’s teams will be all over it. At the start of the big stage races they are always well drilled, and it’s their job to keep it all together.”

http://cdn3.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2012/04/27/1/t03_horsens_plan_sopr_1_600.jpg

http://cdn2.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2012/04/27/1/t03_horsens_alt_1_600.jpg

CAV CAV CAV all the way...

Attachments

• Horesens .jpg
    Horesens .jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 40
  • horsens_alt_1_600.jpg
    horsens_alt_1_600.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 34

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
The word from Geraint Thomas...

GT: I think it will be a similar story to yesterday. The roads are quite big but there’s going to be a lot of nervous guys there wanting to be at the front, the GC guys aren’t going to want to lose time, the guys who maybe want to take the jersey are going to want to be around there and the big guys will want to make the most of the flat days. There will be a lot of stress and a lot of fighting for the front, I think. There’s likely to be a lot of crashes, I don’t think the street furniture is as bad as it was in Holland in 2010, but I’m sure there’s going to be a lot of tension in the peloton.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Any news of any withdraws today?

I was amazed to see Kristoff was NOT last across the line yesterday.

Sounds like Bos is competing today. He said he will see how he feels, then he will decide with Renshaw who will go for the sprint. I would suggest that with it being a circuit race at the end, and likely to be extremely hectic and with Bos falling off yesterday it will definitely be Renshaw today.

Someone rolled in with a time of +9'50!!!!

Ben Hermans, surely an abandon today, to lose nearly 10 minutes on a stage like that (when they spent most of it cruising at 40 km/h) he must be in a bad way.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
My team for today:

Cav, Thomas, Goss, Bennati, Phinney, Demare, Sergent, Bille and Rosseler.

I'll take exactly the same finish as yesterday, please.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm (obviously) not getting my head transfers, for a 3 week tour.
I seem to be playing a long game, on my own, when it's totally unnecessary. :facepalm:

Not totally on your own. I've been selecting with TTT in mind too and currently have 5 riders from what I think will be the 3 leading teams. Mind you, I did at least start with a team that could cut it in the ITT :wink:

It's all good though - always good to have as many free transfers in the bank as possible I reckon.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My team for today:

Cav, G, Bennati, Hunter. Rasmussen, Phinney, Nizzolo, Impey, Demare.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I've put Soupe in, on the off chance he can make miracles happen twice.

I'm also in Eastbourne, shopping, so stuck with Eurosport app updates. Thankfully they are pretty good.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
One day it would be nice to see Lars Bak succeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here