Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well it didn't do Oss much harm today.
That was just break covering, this is sprint finish protection.

I can see Blythe foregoing a chance to come second or third, for the sake of keeping CE safe from 5 to 2 kms.

Still I thought 100/1 for him and Dave Apollo was worth a cheeky ew punt.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Shocking conditions again, painful and almost comical watching riders one after the other slide off their bikes coming round a corner. Chaos ahead. I'm actually glad of our weather, nothing compared to what the Giro have had!

As an aside, some mouth watering deals at SportPursuit at the moment. I've just bagged some bib shorts and a top. Does work, and they do deliver. I was skeptical at first, but they genuinely do provide some great deals.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]335022117672349696[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Text, and indeed, book.

Boohani is becoming a bit of a menace, hell bent on getting Cav's wheel at all costs, but being completely unable to do anything about it.
So that's why Mezgec has been sat in my fantasy team for days on end, I was just being lazy about not moving the 3 pointer.
Dave A-polo did get a mention in the last couple of hundred metres, so hopefully the odd point there.
I didn't have Wiggo so no last place points....hello....is this mic on.....too soon :shrug:

80/1 for the Sky team leader, 2 mins off the lead, doesn't look too shabby now.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh FFS!!!.............Wiggins gets dropped on a flat stage and comes in 3'35" down. Common sense meant Henao & Uran weren't called back to help him. That's a DNS in the morning then.

To add insult to injury for me, Felline was in the 5 man break that was caught just 500m from the line. BMC were drilling it to gap Wiggins. Had that not happened that break would probably have just sneaked home today :facepalm:

Oh well, at least Cav get's his 100th stage win.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Text, and indeed, book.

Boohani is becoming a bit of a menace, hell bent on getting Cav's wheel at all costs, but being completely unable to do anything about it.
So that's why Mezgec has been sat in my fantasy team for days on end, I was just being lazy about not moving the 3 pointer.
Dave A-polo did get a mention in the last couple of hundred metres, so hopefully the odd point there.
I didn't have Wiggo so no last place points....hello....is this mic on.....too soon :shrug:

80/1 for the Sky team leader, 2 mins off the lead, doesn't look too shabby now.

With Degenkolb gone home Mezgec is a good man to still have kicking around your team. Can get over the same bumps in the road that Degenkolb can too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh FFS!!!.............Wiggins gets dropped on a flat stage and comes in 3'35" down. Common sense meant Henao & Uran weren't called back to help him. That's a DNS in the morning then.
I'm pleased Big Dave took the decision a couple of days ago to remove some of his eggs from Wiggo's fragile basket.
We've all seen teams go all in on the wrong man, and have it blow up in their faces.
Wiggo's definitely done for The Giro, Froome-dog must be gutted.

Oh well, at least Cav get's his 100th stage win.
Or his 99th or 102nd.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm pleased Big Dave took the decision a couple of days ago to remove some of his eggs from Wiggo's fragile basket.
We've all seen teams go all in on the wrong man, and have it blow up in their faces.
Wiggo's definitely done for The Giro, Froome-dog must be gutted.

Or his 99th or 102nd.

My initial reaction, and it's one made in the heat of the moment, is sod Wiggins if his intentions are to spoil Froome's party in July. Perhaps genuine illness problems here, but he's done himself no favours with some of the stuff he's been quoted on going into this Giro. Froome deserves full team support for the Tour this year and if there really is splits in the team like the rumours suggest then I hope the riders that matter come down on the side of Froome.

Disclaimer: Extremely simplistic and reactionary response I know, but it's just my initial gut feeling.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My initial reaction, and it's one made in the heat of the moment, is sod Wiggins if his intentions are to spoil Froome's party in July. Perhaps genuine illness problems here, but he's done himself no favours with some of the stuff he's been quoted on going into this Giro. Froome deserves full team support for the Tour this year and if there really is splits in the team like the rumours suggest then I hope the riders that matter come down on the side of Froome.

Disclaimer: Extremely simplistic and reactionary response I know, but it's just my initial gut feeling.
Wiggins certainly did himself no favours in the build up to the Giro:-
'It's possible to win this and go onto the Tour'....... clearly not.

His ego will insist on protected rider at the Tour, and I think you're right that'll helps nobody.

1st 3rd & 11th, Nib's jersey points and I've got at least 2 possibilities for last place!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Haneo must be closing in on the top 10 ahead of Wiggins, 5 mins off the lead, 3 mins off Eranu.

eranu_by_diamondivy-d49605p.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]335066143880511488[/tweet]

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
With Degenkolb gone home Mezgec is a good man to still have kicking around your team. Can get over the same bumps in the road that Degenkolb can too.

I decided to stick with gavazzi rather than go for mezgec. I'm a bit worried that pogue had him in his team though and my stay at the top has been short lived!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I decided to stick with gavazzi rather than go for mezgec. I'm a bit worried that pogue had him in his team though and my stay at the top has been short lived!
I came to the conclusion a while ago that Gavazzi is worse at getting over speed bumps than Kittel, and as we all know, that's bloody saying something! He was only in my team for last man home pts recently and he even started letting me down for that too so I shipped him out a few days ago. I hadn't worked Mezgec in either as to be honest I'd forgotten about him and I've been chasing my tail on transfers anyway and so put all my eggs in the Felline basket :(

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Big surprise of the day for me, apart from Wiggins, is Viviani. No idea what happened to him. He's been going so well lately too. Perhaps that crazy effort in the break on a stage with a cat 1 in it the other day has taken it's toll :shrug:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
[tweet]335066143880511488[/tweet]

Confirmation then that Wiggins is a DNS tomorrow. Although even if he does roll out, it's the common sense thing to do and that decision was probably made a while back anyway.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Confirmation then that Wiggins is a DNS tomorrow. Although even if he does roll out, it's the common sense thing to do and that decision was probably made a while back anyway.
Uran and Henao, now have the team at their disposal, pretty much a free hand, and riding off into the sunset at the end of the season.
If they are smart enough between them, Sitsou, Knees and Pate, they can do some serious damage to fairly weak looking Astana and BMC trains.

The Uran value is definitely gone, but I'd have a sniff around for ew Henao, now before it's too late.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Uran and Henao, now have the team at their disposal, pretty much a free hand, and riding off into the sunset at the end of the season.
If they are smart enough between them, Sitsou, Knees and Pate, they can do some serious damage to fairly weak looking Astana and BMC trains.

The Uran value is definitely gone, but I'd have a sniff around for ew Henao, now before it's too late.

That is a very good point. I'd like to see Scarponi with the help of Niemiec and Stortoni join that party too.

Bet wise, I took Henao e/w at 40/1 I think it was, before the race started. Wishing I had gone for the longer odds on Uran though. Also took 80/1 e/w on Betancur too.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'll be interested to see what comparisons people make between RH & Wiggins, if Wiggins is indeed a DNS tomorrow. One things for sure, this race has had so much drama already and we're only just over half way with the business end still to come. Absolutely loving it! exciting racing all the way through so far.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bet wise, I took Henao e/w at 40/1 I think it was, before the race started. Wishing I had gone for the longer odds on Uran though. Also took 80/1 e/w on Betancur too.
I had a few ew bets on Henao at 40/1.
Prior to his stage win I went to do the same with Uran, but it wouldn't let me bet ew :shrug: so I had £5 win @ 80/1 plus the £1 on that stage.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
That is a very good point. I'd like to see Scarponi with the help of Niemiec and Stortoni join that party too.

I went in on Santambrogio 50-1 e/w in the overall. I was never a fan of Stats theory on the Sky riders, should've listened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here